Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dems introduce new federal ‘assault weapon’ ban

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Dems introduce new federal ‘assault weapon’ ban

    https://www.guns.com/news/2019/01/10...-pistol-braces

    Dear God these people will never stop. It seems they've been paying attention to the work-arounds we've been using. Bold added to a passage for emphasis. Dems introduce new federal ‘assault weapon’ ban that includes pistol braces

    01/10/19 8:30 AM | by Chris Eger



    Besides 205 models of firearms listed by name, the ban would include “featureless stocks” and pistols with stabilizing braces. (Photo: Chris Eger/Guns.com)

    Democrats lead by U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein on Wednesday rolled out their most sweeping assault weapons ban proposal since 1994.
    The planned Assault Weapon Ban of 2019 targets the sale, transfer, manufacture, and importation of “military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines,” as defined by the California Democrat and her co-sponsors, Senators Chris Murphy and Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut.
    “This past year, we’ve seen Americans rise up and demand Congress change our gun laws. Banning assault weapons would save lives,” said Murphy, who in the past has spoken out against what he termed “the imaginary 2nd Amendment.”
    Besides outlawing 205 gun models by name — Feinstein’s original 1994 ban only listed around 20 specific models the proposal would also define an “assault weapon” as a semi-automatic with a detachable magazine that included one of a list of cosmetic features that are deemed “military characteristics” such as a threaded barrel, pistol grip or folding stock. This is less lenient than the previous ban which allowed a “features test” that included two such characteristics.
    In addition, the measure would expand federal law to ban adjustable stocks, Thordsen-style stocks such as used in “featureless rifles” marketed in states like California, “assault pistols” that weight more than 50-ounces when unloaded, and popular pistol stabilizing braces that have become widespread in recent years. Detachable magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds would be prohibited from transfer and guns grandfathered when the ban takes effect would be required to be locked up when not in use. A background check would be mandatory for future sale or gifting of grandfathered guns, even between two private parties.
    Joining Feinstein in her effort to “get these weapons of war off our streets,” are at least 25 other Dems in the Senate who have promised to sign on to the legislation. However, with Republicans in charge of the chamber, it is unlikely the measure will make it out of committee without bipartisan support.
    Meanwhile, in the now-Democrat controlled House, Rhode Island U.S. Rep. David Cicilline has been elevated to a leadership position in that body and has since 2011 backed a series of bans on semi-automatics similar to Feinstein’s latest attempt.
    Honored to have the support of @Everytown who are leading the charge for sensible gun laws in our country. I'll never stop fighting to keep dangerous weapons of war off our streets. pic.twitter.com/xOYfgZtTaD

    "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
    Tucker Max

    Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
    Finicky Fat Guy

    #2
    Didn't banning certain guns by name get tossed in court previously?

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post
      https://www.guns.com/news/2019/01/10...-pistol-braces

      Dear God these people will never stop. It seems they've been paying attention to the work-arounds we've been using. Bold added to a passage for emphasis. Dems introduce new federal ‘assault weapon’ ban that includes pistol braces

      01/10/19 8:30 AM | by Chris Eger



      Besides 205 models of firearms listed by name, the ban would include “featureless stocks” and pistols with stabilizing braces. (Photo: Chris Eger/Guns.com)

      Democrats lead by U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein on Wednesday rolled out their most sweeping assault weapons ban proposal since 1994.
      The planned Assault Weapon Ban of 2019 targets the sale, transfer, manufacture, and importation of “military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines,” as defined by the California Democrat and her co-sponsors, Senators Chris Murphy and Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut.
      “This past year, we’ve seen Americans rise up and demand Congress change our gun laws. Banning assault weapons would save lives,” said Murphy, who in the past has spoken out against what he termed “the imaginary 2nd Amendment.”
      Besides outlawing 205 gun models by name — Feinstein’s original 1994 ban only listed around 20 specific models the proposal would also define an “assault weapon” as a semi-automatic with a detachable magazine that included one of a list of cosmetic features that are deemed “military characteristics” such as a threaded barrel, pistol grip or folding stock. This is less lenient than the previous ban which allowed a “features test” that included two such characteristics.
      In addition, the measure would expand federal law to ban adjustable stocks, Thordsen-style stocks such as used in “featureless rifles” marketed in states like California, “assault pistols” that weight more than 50-ounces when unloaded, and popular pistol stabilizing braces that have become widespread in recent years. Detachable magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds would be prohibited from transfer and guns grandfathered when the ban takes effect would be required to be locked up when not in use. A background check would be mandatory for future sale or gifting of grandfathered guns, even between two private parties.
      Joining Feinstein in her effort to “get these weapons of war off our streets,” are at least 25 other Dems in the Senate who have promised to sign on to the legislation. However, with Republicans in charge of the chamber, it is unlikely the measure will make it out of committee without bipartisan support.
      Meanwhile, in the now-Democrat controlled House, Rhode Island U.S. Rep. David Cicilline has been elevated to a leadership position in that body and has since 2011 backed a series of bans on semi-automatics similar to Feinstein’s latest attempt.
      Honored to have the support of @Everytown who are leading the charge for sensible gun laws in our country. I'll never stop fighting to keep dangerous weapons of war off our streets. pic.twitter.com/xOYfgZtTaD
      This makes perfect sense. These bans are based on imaginary distinctions by people who swore an imaginary oath to defend the Second Amendment.

      ​​​Chris Murphy might have just stolen the title of Dumbest Democratic Representative; with competition like Feinstein, Waters, Ocasio-Cortez, and Pelosi, that's quite an accomplishment.

      Comment


        #4
        There not called the Democrats anymore we dont have Democrats we only have the Extreme liberal party

        Comment


          #5
          "A background check would be mandatory for future sale or gifting of grandfathered guns, even between two private parties."

          Hey, at least it includes this bit, which the NY unsafe Act doesn't correct? SMH. Please let this die on the floor without life support.
          Lieutenant: You got a pistol permit?
          Nick Charles: No.
          Lieutenant: Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?
          Nora Charles: Oh, that's all right, we're married.
          -The Thin Man - 1934

          Comment


            #6
            Thank goodness for Trump and his Scotus picks.
            Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
            Certified NROI RSO

            Member Freeport R&R

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Postal Bob View Post
              Thank goodness for Trump and his Scotus picks.
              Lol, let’s not forget he was for banning assault weapons at one time

              his recent ban and confiscation of bump stocks proves he will continue to jump back and forth on issues
              The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule ...Samuel Adams, "The Rights of the Colonists" page 419

              Comment


                #8
                Gun manufactures should be pleased as for now sales my jump up

                Comment


                  #9
                  Can “We the people” have a Democrap removal from office for stupidity and undermining the Constitution bill? In my dreams I know

                  Comment


                    #10
                    If it passes, I'll either be filthy rich or an outlaw.
                    No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

                    - U.S. Marines

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Postal Bob View Post
                      Thank goodness for Trump and his Scotus picks.
                      You kidding? All the dems have to do is say, "Hey Trump, give us an assault weapons ban, and we'll give you funding for your wall", and the government will be open tomorrow.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by kempoguy View Post

                        You kidding? All the dems have to do is say, "Hey Trump, give us an assault weapons ban, and we'll give you funding for your wall", and the government will be open tomorrow.
                        I don't think so
                        "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by kempoguy View Post

                          You kidding? All the dems have to do is say, "Hey Trump, give us an assault weapons ban, and we'll give you funding for your wall", and the government will be open tomorrow.
                          Only after the 2020 election - maybe.

                          Until then Trump needs the support.
                          I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                          I am armed out of love of those behind me.

                          Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            If even one bill they propose somehow manages to get passed and clear the Senate watch out for the gun and ammo panic purchases of 2019! That panic to buy probably will hit us even if President Trump does not sign it into law. My guess is, even if none make it into law, the more anti-RKBA put out such bills, the more likely we are to see panic buying.
                            Retired and loving it.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Glenn B View Post
                              If even one bill they propose somehow manages to get passed and clear the Senate watch out for the gun and ammo panic purchases of 2019! That panic to buy probably will hit us even if President Trump does not sign it into law. My guess is, even if none make it into law, the more anti-RKBA put out such bills, the more likely we are to see panic buying.
                              I'm far more concerned about what Uncle Andy WILL get passed this year and soon.
                              I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                              I am armed out of love of those behind me.

                              Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X