NYC License, announced policy changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Waffen1974 View Post
    Like giving a ritz cracker to a prisoner in a North Korean labor camp.
    Like giving a wet Ritz cracker with spoiled cheese on top.
    LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

Not for nothing but .... what a coincidence that at the same time the city magnanimously is willing to change the "policy " the dems introduce a far more restrictive manner to transport firearms https://www.longislandgunclub.com/fo...tation-mandate

I was very young, but I remember Longshanks' notion of peace

Comment

Originally posted by crashguy View Post
        Not for nothing but .... what a coincidence that at the same time the city magnanimously is willing to change the "policy " the dems introduce a far more restrictive manner to transport firearms https://www.longislandgunclub.com/fo...tation-mandate

I was very young, but I remember Longshanks' notion of peace
        Remember what happened to Phillip?

Comment

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2019...e-court-review

Good info here. NYS is trying to avoid an unfavorable ruling, but their solution is likely to be rejected by the SCOTUS according to the author.

Comment

FUNYC
            NRA Life member

Comment

This proposed rule change is up for public debate .... here is the link to the letter from the SCOTUS requesting a postponement and dismissal if the rule change is adopted https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...%2012%2019.pdf

Seems like anyone can chime in .... FWIW.....I said .."NO.... it's for the children." Fuck them ..... the gun grabbers are sweating this case badly... it's gonna change the game coast to coast.

Comment

I hope you are right.

Comment

Any of our resident legal eagles who practice before the federal bench have an opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMongoose View Post
                    Any of our resident legal eagles who practice before the federal bench have an opinion?
                    The City is attempting to avoid a SCOTUS decision by exploiting the legal concept of "mootness" . Appellate courts only take cases where an actual controversy exists and by backing off their unconstitutional rule about travel, the City takes away the ability of SCOTUS to review the issue, because, well, the problem is moot.

There are exceptions to the mootness doctrine. One of which is if the Justices believe the offending party is believed to be of the mindset to re-instate the unconstitutional ban after the appeal is dismissed. Considering the City's record on the 2nd Amendment, there is a slight chance the Supreme Court will take the case anyway.

For an excellent treatise on the mootness doctrine this article by pro-gun law professor Don Kates is a thorough read. https://scholarship.law.berkeley.edu...ornialawreview

Last edited by Grifhunter; 04-18-2019, 10:11 PM.
                    Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

NYC needs to get fisted by SCOTUS!

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
                        NYC needs to get fisted by SCOTUS!
                        With Ruth’s liver spotted, leathery skinned, boney, arthritis hand?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMongoose View Post
                          It’s currently a proposed rule change, so it hasn’t happened yet. Is this enough to make the case moot?
                          I think no - NYC only issues "Premise" licenses.... under STATE law - that prohibits taking your firearms upstate/out of state for hunting.... and you are only authorized a limited number of trips per year to a range for practice....

Comment

Originally posted by Grifhunter View Post

The City is attempting to avoid a SCOTUS decision by exploiting the legal concept of "mootness" . Appellate courts only take cases where an actual controversy exists and by backing off their unconstitutional rule about travel, the City takes away the ability of SCOTUS to review the issue, because, well, the problem is moot.

There are exceptions to the mootness doctrine. One of which is if the Justices believe the offending party is believed to be of the mindset to re-instate the unconstitutional ban after the appeal is dismissed. Considering the City's record on the 2nd Amendment, there is a slight chance the Supreme Court will take the case anyway.

For an excellent treatise on the mootness doctrine this article by pro-gun law professor Don Kates is a thorough read. https://scholarship.law.berkeley.edu...ornialawreview

We know the city to be rather shifty regarding 2A issues, will that influence SCOTUS? Or did they succeed in mooting this case?

Comment

Voluntary mootness, I learned something. I’ll have a go at reading the paper on mootness this week on night shift. What are the mechanics to determine if the case is now moot? Is it one Justice that makes the call?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ciation-v-nyc/

Comment

Originally posted by LI Ammo View Post
                                NYC gun owners to get looser rules on moving firearms as NYPD changes policy

In a policy shift, the NYPD is planning to allow gun-owners to transport their firearms not only to gun ranges, but also to a second home or business where licensed gun ownership is legal.Previously, the NYPD rule was that licensed gun owners could only move their guns to a number of approved gun ranges or an area where hunting is legal. The weapon had to be transported unloaded in a locked container with the ammunition separate.Now, the department says handgun owners can legally bring their guns to a second home or business in places where licensed gun possession is legal, a firing range or a shooting competition, following a public comment period.
                                The issue is ... what's to stop NYC from changing its ruling back to what once was after the SCOTUS case is withdrawn? This is nothing more than "sleight-of-hand" to avoid the inevitable SCOTUS loss.

Comment

Working...
                                X