• Show
Clear All

Nassau PBA, commissioner spar over assault rifles for patrol officers

Sorry for the Snooze12 link, but...

http://longisland.news12.com/story/4...ecision-rifles

Posted: Sep 05, 2019 6:06 AM EDT
    Updated: Sep 05, 2019 2:35 PM EDT

Nassau PBA President James McDermott and Commissioner Patrick Ryder held dueling news conference Thursday over the issue of arming patrol officers with semi-automatic rifles.

They are currently used by specialized units such as the Bureau of Special Operations and the Emergency Services Unit. There were about 100 rifles that have already been purchased and are not in use.

McDermott says patrol officers should be trained and given those precision rifles as soon as possible.

“[Patrol officers] can’t be in two places at once,” says McDermott. “If they are on patrol in Bayville, and we have an active shooter in Long Beach, how long will that take for them to get there?”

Commissioner Ryder says he understands the PBA’s concerns but says “not everybody can have a long arm at the scene.”

“They are precise weapons. You must train. There is a 30% failure rate throughout our law enforcement agencies that we spoke to. If you miss your target, the bullet goes somewhere.”

Commissioner Ryder says each officer would require three days of training upfront on the assault rifle and then quarterly refresher courses.

The rifles were purchased during the tenure of former Police Commissioner Thomas Krumpter in 2015. He believed patrol officers should be equipped with the weapons.
    Love that they call them precision rifles, but ours are assault weapons. Precise weapons that have a 30% failure rate? Huh?
    Steve

"“They are precise weapons. You must train. There is a 30% failure rate throughout our law enforcement agencies that we spoke to. If you miss your target, the bullet goes somewhere.”"

Handguns are imprecise weapons according to the Commish I gather?
    "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

Comment

there also not asualt rifles as they are not full semmi auttomatisssss
      glocks fail at 30% who would have thunk ----------------

Comment

I still say there is not much you can not quell with a nightstick and a firehose.
        Can anyone spell "the seventies uptown"?

And as far as deeming semi auto rifles a danger but not pistols, that must mean that every cop on that force has qualified expert pistol.

If the see saw keeps tipping over to crazy the cops are going to stop picking up the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
          Sorry for the Snooze12 link, but...

http://longisland.news12.com/story/4...ecision-rifles

Posted: Sep 05, 2019 6:06 AM EDT
          Updated: Sep 05, 2019 2:35 PM EDT

Love that they call them precision rifles, but ours are assault weapons. Precise weapons that have a 30% failure rate? Huh?
          I believe what is ment is that there is a 30% failure rate among the officers. They have to qualify with them in order to be able to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by M-14BULLETTS View Post
            there also not asualt rifles as they are not full semmi auttomatisssss
            glocks fail at 30% who would have thunk ----------------
            LEOs don;t get real assault riffles?
            "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

Comment

30% failure rate?
              Did they buy them on sale at Walmart?
              Give peace a chance, I'll cover you in case that doesn't work out.

LIBERALISM should be classified as a MENTAL DISORDER!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks25 View Post
                30% failure rate?
                DSI is my bet

Comment

30% ?

1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by surly View Post
                    I believe what is ment is that there is a 30% failure rate among the officers. They have to qualify with them in order to be able to use them.
                    I actually think that's not a bad failure rate for officers who are not gun guys who might never have held a rifle until the last year or so, given that the test actually requires proficiency to pass.

Comment

I'm inclined to think if these are "weapons of war" as many with Ds beside there name like to claim then no police should have them on our streets either.
                      They either are or they are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparks25 View Post
                        30% failure rate?
                        Not anymore...

They're out of luck for handgun ammo too.

Comment

Originally posted by oshwan View Post
                          I'm inclined to think if these are "weapons of war" as many with Ds beside there name like to claim then no police should have them on our streets either.
                          They either are or they are not.
                          Yeah, most of the people (I use that term loosely) that police shoot with their handguns currently are Democratic voters. Why would they want police to be better armed?

Comment

Originally posted by Russian View Post
                            30% ?

1.jpg
                            Sit down. They said “precise weapons".
                            Steve

Comment

“They are precise weapons. You must train. There is a 30% failure rate throughout our law enforcement agencies that we spoke to. If you miss your target, the bullet goes somewhere.”
                              It seems to me that when he talks about failure rate he is referring to officer accuracy. Hence the follow up statement about a bullet going somewhere.
                              "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                              Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                              Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X