Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign minister of Mexico calls for a new U.S. “assault weapons” ban

Foreign minister of Mexico calls for a new U.S. “assault weapons” ban

Claudia Ruiz Massieu, foreign minister of Mexico, called at the Second Conference of States Parties to the Arms Trade Treaty of the UN for the U.S. Congress to pass a new ban on firearms that she labels “assault weapons,” saying that “they cause harm on both sides of the border.” In her view, guns that are illegal in Mexico are being bought in the border areas of the United States and smuggled in to her country and stopping this flow of guns is a high priority there.

The question about the origin of illegal guns in Mexico isn’t as simple as the country’s foreign minister or U.S. politicians claim. Barack Obama, for example, has told us that ninety percent of crime guns recovered in our neighbor to the south come from this country. However, that number is better for headlines than for an analyzed case in favor of a new set of bans. The ninety percent is of guns that Mexico submitted for tracing. Of the guns that the Mexican government seizes, only something between a quarter and a third are sent to us for checking.

The situation is even worse for advocates of gun control, since a lot of guns, ammunition, and grenades are being acquired from foreign militaries—or from the Mexican military and police—whether stolen or purchased from corrupt officials. This includes rocket-propelled grenades and M60 machine guns. Three small arms popular with the cartels are the AK-47 and the Fabrique Nationale P90 and Five-seven, all of which are manufactured primarily in countries other than the United States, and in the case of full-auto carbines and submachine guns, are not available to many here.

In addition to the facts that Ruiz Massieu leaves out about the sources of guns in Mexico, she also fails to mention the flow of drugs either from or through her country into the United States. Mexico is the largest supplier of methamphetamines and a major producer of heroin used by addicts in this country. This is exacerbated by corruption in Mexican law enforcement and by a denial of self-defense rights to ordinary Mexicans.

I can understand the desire of Ruiz Massieu and others to find a solution to the violence in her country. The homicide rate there was the fifteenth highest in the world in 2014, 27.14 per hundred thousand. This is a murder rate that’s some five times ours, and in many Mexican states, effectively a civil war among drug cartels and government forces exists.

But as much empathy as I feel for the problems south of our border, at the same time, when I’m told that my nation must curtail rights to cure another country’s ills, I become much less caring. Are we partially responsible for what’s going on there? Yes. The United States contributes to the crime in Mexico through our drug laws, laws that ban substances in demand here. Legalizing drugs would remove the black market premium, cutting profits for the cartels, and would offer us a better means of promoting treatment. But in any case, when the Mexican government finds it impossible to prevent the smuggling of drugs, it’s hypocritical for them to insist that we try to ban something else.

Governments of the world would do well to respect the rights of the citizens from whom they derive their powers. Efforts at controlling private behavior have proved to fail without excesses of force, and this call for a new “assault weapons” ban is yet another repetition of what doesn’t and can’t work.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author’s and do not necessarily reflect the position of Guns.com.
    Pat ------> NRA Lifetime Endowment Member #FAAFO

Obviously they need to build a wall to protect their borders
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Where were her complaints during Fast N Furious?

She's also against Trump's plans to stop illegals.
      Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Has she petitioned Vlad Putin to cease production of AK's? Called on ISIS to give up their knives and gasoline? Hey, how about interrupting the flow of all the fucking poison they peddle on this side of the border?

Comment

Claudia Ruiz Massieu should worry about that shit hole called Mexico...

Comment

Really??? The area around the US/Mexico border and further in to Mexico is like Beirut in the early 80s The cartels have all military grade hardware to include 40mm, fragmentation grenades, LAWS/RPG and Im sure they will get a Stinger MANPAD or Russian made counterpart one day. So thats the US fault? Not that Mexico aint corrupt ?!? How about we close the border, dumping NAFTA and US Gov. says to US companies making goods there "Hi Ho heres a mega import tax/tariff on all your widgets made there or you can bring EVERYTHING back here and hire US workers and make the widgets here ...or else!" Fuck him and his corrupt donkey fucking country.

Comment

El Arma de asalto ... don't sound so bad in Spanish ...

Comment

The wall should be 10' higher for her stupidity

Comment

How about banning the import of illegal aliens into the US?
                  NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
                  NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
                    Where were her complaints during Fast N Furious?

She's also against Trump's plans to stop illegals.
                    That was one of the points of FnF - To make such a public out cry.

Also was hoping Mexico would sue U.S. manufacturers for wrongful death for billions$$ and put them out of business.
                    I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                    I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

claudia can lambe me juevos

Comment

Some fing nerve some people have. How about they stop the drugs and illegals from coming in first
                        let's make america great again

Comment

Let's see how he likes Trumps ban on assault Mexicans. You know, the ones that assault our hard working tax payers right in their asses.

Comment

Shut up Claudia
                            Originally posted by ChiefSailer
                            Deplorables FTW!!

Comment

That's ironic. They have a ban on "Assault weapons" in Mexico. Doesn't stop the cartels from acquiring fucking grenade launchers. Stupid fuck.
                              “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X