Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

America’s real gun problem is suicide

America’s real gun problem is suicide

Anti-2nd Amendment types like to throw around shocking statistics about the number of firearm related deaths in America as evidence of the need for more draconian gun restrictions. But because their efforts are more anti-gun than anti-tragedy, they often leave out some important details.

Despite media saturation about mass shootings in recent years and an effort to demonize black rifles, the number of firearm homicides in America hasn’t changed much since the Clinton administration’s assault weapons ban was lifted.

And while firearms remain the weapon used most in the commission of homicide in America, firearm homicides are not the top contributor to gun-related death tolls.

Most people killed by firearms in America aren’t the victims of lunatics or criminals—but fall victim to another more sinister set of bad actors. Depression, despair and the belief that they have no reason to continue living led 291,571 Americans to take their own lives using a firearm between 1999 and 2014.

That accounts for nearly 59 percent of total gun deaths for the time period.

Yet, we don’t often hear about the poor souls who take their own lives with firearms in the media or the anti-gun left. And there’s a good reason. If your goal is scaring people throughout the country into supporting the termination of 2nd Amendment rights, focusing on the terror of relatively rare mass shootings is a far more effective propaganda tool.

But if anti-gun groups were sincere, suicide-by-gun would be the first thing they discussed in any argument about gun control.

Of course, then the argument wouldn’t be about control. At risk of being overly macabre, it’s worth noting that they wouldn’t have much of a point in talking about the dangers of 30 round magazines and semiautomatic weapons if preventing loss of life by firearm were the true goal.

Even the Brady folks admit:

Despite suicide being the leading cause of firearm-related death in the United States, the subject has been largely absent from the national conversation on gun violence.

This is hardly surprising given that high-profile tragedies like mass killings and school shootings tend to fuel public perceptions of gun violence. However, if we want to dramatically reduce the number of deaths caused by guns, we need to put as much focus on preventing firearm suicides as we do on firearm homicides.

Fortunately, 2nd Amendment supporters are already focused on the true causes of the majority of gun tragedies in America and are making efforts to prevent loss of life a top priority.

A good example is the National Shooting Sports Foundation’s recent collaboration with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention to develop a program to reach out to gun owners who may be at risk of suicide.

Working together on an effort called Project 25, the groups hope to reduce the number of suicides in the U.S. by 20 percent over the next decade.

“With suicide accounting for nearly two-thirds of all firearm fatalities annually, the topic of suicide prevention deserves our attention. In recent years NSSF has worked with the Veterans Administration, the State of Utah and mental health agencies to help educate gun owners and the public on how to keep firearms safely out of reach of those who, during a period of despair, decide to do themselves harm,” the NSSF said in a statement. “Now is an appropriate time to broaden our efforts.”
    Pat ------> NRA Lifetime Endowment Member #FAAFO

Yet Japan, a gunless society, has near 30,000 suicides a year so the reality is that removing guns solves nothing with regards to suicides.
    When they kick out your front door
    How you gonna come?
    With your hands on your head
    Or on the trigger of your gun?

Comment

I am pretty sure that the gun I n the picture is a Marksman BB gun, you can take an eye out with that but I don't think you can kill yourself with it

Comment

Originally posted by Safety42 View Post
        I am pretty sure that the gun I n the picture is a Marksman BB gun, you can take an eye out with that but I don't think you can kill yourself with it
        I had one of those when I was a kid. I took it apart and was never able to put it back together. I can confirm, it would be impossible to kill yourself with one of these.

Comment

Actually it's black people but ssshhhhhh

Comment

Originally posted by RumRunner View Post

I had one of those when I was a kid. I took it apart and was never able to put it back together. I can confirm, it would be impossible to kill yourself with one of these.
            I have been an EMT for 25+ years and have seen some bizarre and determined suicidal people. I wouldn't rule out someone finding a way to to do it with that BB gun.

Comment

Mental health is difficult to address. Banning guns is easier and gets more publicity and votes.
              SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Originally posted by Sherm66 View Post
                Yet Japan, a gunless society, has near 30,000 suicides a year so the reality is that removing guns solves nothing with regards to suicides.
                Yeah, and they have this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dies-year.html
                http://mentalfloss.com/article/73288...suicide-forest
                “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

A mental health system in absolute tatters is the problem. Decades of budget cuts , and pressure from the insurance interests have caused institutions to shutdown.as the trend has gone from inpatient to outpaitent and no patient.

Frightening when you read that approx 10,000,000+ Americans suffer from severe mental illness. 40% of those with serious issues receive no treatment. 60% of people with some form of mental illness receive no treatment.
                  It's easier, cheaper, and much more profitable to go after firearms than actually tackle the real issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherm66 View Post
                    To expand on your point, the homicide rate in the US is about 6 per 100,000, all homicides, including those not involving firearms.
                    The suicide rate in Japan is over 19 in 100,000. A country without access to firearms.

So, Japan has three times as many suicides as all our homicides.

And Japan's suicide rate is nearly twice our rate. We are at about 10 per 100,000.

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport,

Comment

Working...
                    X