X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-Gun Group Blasts New York Gubernatorial Candidate

Anti-Gun Group Blasts New York Gubernatorial Candidate

Posted at 2:00 pm on October 9, 2018 by Tom Knighton

New York is one of the most anti-gun states in the country. Gov. Andrew Cuomo had been on an anti-gun crusade throughout his entire run as governor.

However, his opponent, Marc Molinaro, wants to change that. He’s taken a strong pro-gun stance in a state where it might not help him all that much.

Unsurprisingly, the usual suspects are freaking out over the idea that anyone could disagree with them.
    ALBANY — A prominent anti-gun violence group took aim Monday at GOP gubernatorial candidate Marc Molinaro for voting 32 times against bills to strengthen New York’s firearms laws.

Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America also blasted Molinaro for saying on the campaign trail this year that he wants to dismantle New York State’s tough SAFE gun control law passed in the wake of the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting.

“It’s an obvious problem ,” said Laura Burns, the group’s state communications lead. “He wants to go backward to weaken gun laws instead [of] maintaining what we have in New York and making them stronger.”

Mom’s Demand Action for Gun Sense in America was established in the wake of the Sandy Hook shooting that killed 20 students and six adults and is part of a group financially backed by former Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Molinaro, now the Dutchess County executive, served in the Assembly from 2007 through 2011.

Among the bills he voted against were ones to keep guns out of the hands of domestic abusers; make it a crime to improperly store firearms in the home, which supporters say would protect children, and outlaw the possession of armor-piercing and explosive ammunition, a measure sponsored by a Republican in the Senate.

He also voted against bills to require three-hour safety courses to get a gun license, mandate the microstamping of bullets, and ban the sale or use of .50-caliber weapons.
    Stop. I already liked this guy.

For the record, though, the NY SAFE Act is a trainwreck. There’s been massive noncompliance with the law, meaning it turned law-abiding gun owners into criminals, and honestly? I can’t find it in my heart to blame them a damn bit.

What Molinaro seems to support is something called The Second Amendment. It’s a thing. It says that “the people’s right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” Meanwhile, what do we see, infringement left and right up in New York. Clearly, Molinaro wants to change that.

But the Everytown crowd seems completely baffled that anyone might disagree. They can’t comprehend it. It’s probably because they can’t understand that others can look at this stuff and see it for the bovine excrement that it is.

Unfortunately, I don’t think they need to worry too much. Molinaro is trailing 18 points behind Cuomo in the latest polling from back in mid-September. While that was an eight-point improvement from polling done in July, it’s likely not enough to overcome the gap between he and Cuomo. It’s a shame, too, because it sure would be nice to see New York join the land of the free.

Still, I’d love to see the polls be horribly wrong on this one.
    NY candidate Marc Molinaro isn't a fan of gun control apparently. Meanwhile, the folks at Everytown are baffled as to how that could be.
    Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

Perhaps the idiotic RINOS of this state may learn that being Anti 2A hasn’t help them win over libtarded.
    its only helped them alienate people that may actually vote for them
    Tag line thanks to @Synner

He’s like a walking “Tickle Me Angry” doll.

Comment

Please.... did he pen that himself because of his proud refusal of NRA funding that is now costing him votes from what should be his base?

Larry Sharpe ✅

Comment

Originally posted by LazyLab View Post
        Please.... did he pen that himself because of his proud refusal of NRA funding that is now costing him votes from what should be his base?

Larry Sharpe ✅
        Agreed
        The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule ...Samuel Adams, "The Rights of the Colonists" page 419

Comment

I decided to send a note to Molinaro's campaign why I won't be voting for him.
          A quick google gave me their contact info and I sent the follwing:

As a registered Conservative who dislikes Cuomo greatly I'd like to tell you why I will not be voting for you this election.
          Two words:
          SAFE Act
          The Republicans of this liberal state assisted Cuomo in passing that garbage in the middle of the night and have done absolutely nothing in repealing it since.

Until the Republican party makes amends for their disgusting behavior in passing the SAFE Act I will not vote for anyone not actively trying to repeal it.
          There is much that can be done to teach ignorant people why it is awful law and how it avoids actually addressing the problems of violence.

Until I hear some leadership coming from Republicans in protecting MY civil liberties I choose to abstain from voting for an "R" candidate that isn't a serious defender of my rights. The days of voting for the lesser of 2 evils is over for me.

The RINOS made their bed.
          Last edited by Aquabach; 10-11-2018, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

As a registered Conservative who dislikes Cuomo greatly I'd like to tell you why I will not be voting for you this election.
            Two words:
            SAFE Act
            The Republicans of this liberal state assisted Cuomo in passing that garbage in the middle of the night and have done absolutely nothing in repealing it since.

Until the Republican party makes amends for their disgusting behavior in passing the SAFE Act I will not vote for anyone not actively trying to repeal it.
            There is much that can be done to teach ignorant people why it is awful law and how it avoids actually addressing the problems of violence.

Until I hear some leadership coming from Republicans in protecting MY civil liberties I choose to abstain from voting for an "R" candidate that isn't a serious defender of my rights. The days of voting for the lesser of 2 evils is over for me.

It's best if the RINO's descend into obscurity.

Comment

Mark Moronaro

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sayron View Post
                  https://twitter.com/LarrySharpe/status/1050387560126664706
                  Link no worky

Comment

Two words:
                    SAFE Act

I’m interested if he replies to you. I still haven’t gotten a reply.

Comment

It won't happe

Comment

Link no worky
                        Try it now.
                        Steve

Comment

Mark who?

Comment

Two words:
                            SAFE Act

I received an email today from Team Molinaro. It stiuts his support of 2A yet ignores my point that the republicans helped pass the SAFE Act.

Thanks for your note, we appreciate you reaching out.

Marc supports repealing the SAFE Act. He has a voting record to back this up. I have included it below for your information.

Marc also has an A rating from the NRA and New York State Rifle and Pistol. He’s whole heartedly supported by SCOPE.

Best,
                            Team Molinaro

Seems like he's for both 2A and gun control. Typical politician talking out both sides of his mouth

Disturbing poll on the SAFE act support at the end.

https://www.newsday.com/news/region-...law-1.21300805

Molinaro is also campaigning on the issue far differently than past GOP nominees for governor, which included a 2014 gun rally in Albany headlined by Donald Trump. Molinaro has refused to take contributions from the NRA, and doesn’t seek a positive rating from it. His gun control plan is to get all sides, including gun owners, to work together toward a common goal of ending mass gun attacks. He has acknowledged that the longtime GOP mantra to repeal the SAFE Act is unlikely because of a Democratic-controlled Assembly. Molinaro, however, still walks a fine line on the issue critical to a shrinking segment of his base.

“We need to talk about violence and how to confront that,” said Molinaro, who voted against the SAFE Act as an assemblyman. His current position could draw interest from independent voters and Democrats who support the law, political analysts say.

His running mate, lieutenant governor candidate Julie Killian, in her unsuccessful campaign for State Senate in Westchester earlier this year, said in a televised Senate debate that she wouldn’t repeal any part of the SAFE Act and believes in “common-sense gun control.”

Polls show how the public view of gun control and the SAFE Act have changed.

More New Yorkers supported the SAFE Act and fewer opposed it after the Parkland, Florida, school shooting in February, according to a comparison of Siena Research Institute polls from this March and one from October 2015, the last poll about guns that it took before the massacre.

Three years before Parkland, 59 percent of New Yorkers supported the SAFE Act, compared with 61 percent this year. In 2015, 33 percent opposed the SAFE Act, compared with 28 percent this year.

Comment

In case anyone cared what Molinaro's team sent me to show he is pro 2A

Molinaro Voted Against the Following Anti-2nd Amendment Legislation:
                              Microstamping (A.1157 of 2011, A.6468 of 2009-10, A.9819-A of 2008) - requires all semiautomatic pistols to be capable of producing a unique alphanumeric or geometric code on at least two locations on each cartridge case expended from such pistol for the purposes of identifying the make, model, and serial number of the pistol.
                              50-Caliber of Larger Weapons (A.3211 of 2009, A.2772-A of 2007-08) - bans the possession, sale, and use of 50-caliber weapons in the state of New York, to impose additional penalties for the use of a 50-caliber weapon while committing certain felonies and to implement procedures for public compliance with this statute.
                              Armor Piercing (A.2881 of 2009, A.3447 of 2007-08) - includes possession of armor piercing, frangible or devastator ammunition as criminal possession of a weapon in the 4th degree and where possession is knowingly with intent to use against another, it shall constitute criminal possession of a weapon in the 3rd degree.
                              Safe Storage (A.5844 of 2009, A.76-A of 2007-08) - creates crimes of failure to store a weapon safely in the first and second degrees, aggravated failure to store a weapon, and criminally negligent storage of a weapon in the first and second degrees; provides affirmative defenses; directs the Commissioner of Education to develop a weapons safety program.
                              Pistol License (A.801-B of 2009) - requires the renewal of firearms' licenses after five years and the taking of a safety course outside the City of New York; sets a date for expiration and provides for a schedule for recertification to be developed by the commissioner of criminal justice services.
                              Restricting Gun Sales (A.1093-A of 2009, A.6525-A of 2007-08) - requires the creation and imposition of restrictive commercial practices and stringent recordkeeping and reporting to prevent gun sales to criminals; provides that such measures shall be promulgated by the Superintendent of State Police; restricts premises of sales; requires employee training; prohibits straw purchases; imposes additional license conditions.
                              Assault weapons (A.6157 of 2009, A.7331 of 2007-08) - replaces the definition of an "assault weapon" with a new definition that relies on the characteristics of the weapon and includes definitions of assault weapon devices that are designed to enhance the lethality of these weapons. In addition, the bill would exempt persons in lawful possession, control or use of an assault weapon from misdemeanor violations if they: render the weapon permanently inoperable, surrender the weapon or register the weapon with the ballistic databank, defined in section 396-ff of the general business law.
                              Requiring Child Proofing Features (A.1326-A of 2009, A.829 OF 2007-08) - prohibits the sale of pistols or revolvers by any person, firm or corporation in the retail business of selling guns which do not contain child proofing features built into the design of the gun.
                              Expended Projectile, Expended Shell, and Seized Gun entered into CoBIS Identification Databank (A.2882 of 2009, A.3451 of 2007-08) - requires that any expended projectile, expended shell casing or gun seized, found or otherwise coming into possession of any state or local law enforcement agency be submitted to the division of state police, which shall cause to be entered in the automated electronic databank (established pursuant to subdivision six of section 369-ff of the general business law) pertinent data and other ballistic information relevant to identification of the expended projectile, expended shell casing, or gun.

Co-Sponsored/Multi-Sponsored the Following Legislation:
                              Discontinuing the CoBIS Ballistic Identification Databank (A.1131 of 2011-12, A.5427 of 2009-10, A.6388 of 2009-10) - discontinue the use of the New York Combined Ballistic Identification System (CoBIS) and to remove the shell casing requirement from state law (repeals section 396-ff of the general business law relating to the pistol and revolver ballistic identification databank).
                              Personal Privacy Rights of Pistol Licensees (A.1811 of 2011-12, A.820 of 2009-10, A.10151 of 2007-08) - prohibits the public disclosure of information in an application for a pistol license with exceptions for prosecutors and police conducting an active investigation.
                              **Definitions are taken directly from Sponsor Memos.

Comment

Working...
                              X