Announcement

Collapse

St Mary’s Children’s Hospital Fund Raiser

Don’t miss out! ——> Link
See more
See less

Dem wanting social media scrutiny for gun-license applicants has violent, tax-delinquent past

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dem wanting social media scrutiny for gun-license applicants has violent, tax-delinquent past

Dem wanting social media scrutiny for gun-license applicants has violent, tax-delinquent past: reports

Bradford Betz13 hours ago
    State Senator Kevin Parker is proposing a change to New York's gun laws to allow authorities to search social media before approving handgun licenses. (Facebook)

Be careful what you tweet, if you hope to someday lawfully own a firearm in New York state.

A Democratic state lawmaker from Brooklyn has submitted a bill calling for all gun-license applicants to let the government review their social media posts going back three years and their internet searches going back one year.

Investigators would then look "any good cause for the denial of a license," such as racial slurs, threats of violence and terrorism-related posts.

But the bill's sponsor, state Sen. Kevin Parker, has a history of his own legal skirmishes.

Parker was convicted in 2010 of roughing up a New York Post photographer -- and allegedly did the same to a traffic agent in 2005, but avoided punishment by agreeing to undergo anger management training.

In addition, government records cited by the Post in 2017 indicated Parker owed more than $50,000 in property taxes and water bills.

"I need a raise," Parker joked when interviewed by the Post. “I’m considering becoming an Uber driver upstate.” He said he and his brother inherited two properties, and their tax burdens, from their parents after they died.

EDUCATION DEPARTMENT UNVEILS NEW TITLE IX GUIDANCE FOR CAMPUS SEXUAL ASSAULT: HERE'S WHAT WOULD CHANGE

As for his background-check bill, gun-license applicants would surrender their passwords for Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter and Instagram accounts, and subject to scrutiny their search histories on Google, Yahoo, and Bing search engines.

Parker's proposal followed the Oct. 27 massacre at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh. The suspect gunman allegedly posted anti-Semitic online before killing 11 people.

The New York Legislature's session begins in January, but no vote on Parker's bill has been scheduled.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

I don’t know a person alive who would survive some conjured, arbitrary basis for denial based on this jerkoffs version of a law.

Who decides the difference (is there one) between a racial slur, a racially insensitive remark or an off color joke? It’s 1984 folks.

ETA: spellcheck/word swap fix
    Last edited by Huntington Guy; 11-28-2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

fun fact I heard on npr this morning.....NYPD has started a database of potential gang members based on their social media profiles (called operation crew cut).

now people (big hint, they are democrats) are saying that these kids shouldn't be profiled based on their social media posting, they don't know what they're doing, it will lead to them being more heavily prosecuted for small offenses, etc.

funny how they don't get that knives are always supposed to cut the same way.
      High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

It always sounds like a great idea until it bounces back at themselves or their demographic supporters. Fuck them all!

Edit to add....concerning OP topic...a picture says a thousand words.

Comment

Originally posted by Volkosupply View Post
          fun fact I heard on npr this morning.....NYPD has started a database of potential gang members based on their social media profiles (called operation crew cut).

now people (big hint, they are democrats) are saying that these kids shouldn't be profiled based on their social media posting, they don't know what they're doing, it will lead to them being more heavily prosecuted for small offenses, etc.

funny how they don't get that knives are always supposed to cut the same way.
          Well said.

Comment

I said it before, if this is how those hypocrites wanna play it, there should be a law that requires the same level of internet scrutiny and civil rights violations for anyone who wants to run for public office, elected or appointed. Watch how fast that bill disappears when it applies to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
              Who decides the difference (is there one) between a racial slur, a racially insensitive remark or an off color joke? It’s 1984 folks.
              Since when, under the law of the land, is someone who makes a racial slur during his personal speech held accountable so that his other Constitutional rights may be denied? I am thinking this is more 1936 than 1984 but both are close.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
                I don’t know a person alive who would provide some conjured, arbitrary basis for denial based on this jerkoffs version of a law.

It's a lose-lose scenario, especially when you're dealing with libtards, since anything you say can and will eventually be called racist when you disagree with them. A word that was perfectly acceptable five minutes ago? Oh, yeah, someone tweeted they were offended by that so now that's racist. So you're clearly a racist. Caught in a picture giving the okay symbol while skydiving? Oh, dude, that's totally a white supremacist thing! Racist! You support legal immigration and border security like every other civilized nation with half a brain? Oooooh wow, you're SUCH a racist!

You literally can't have opposing viewpoints without being racist now. Two years ago, that was a word reserved for the most hateful actions or comments, now it's a common pronoun used to describe half the country without a second thought. Now it's just an easy way to identity total fucktards on TV who use it ten times a sentence because they're too lazy to come up with actual fact-based talking points.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn B View Post
                  Since when, under the law of the land, is someone who makes a racial slur during his personal speech held accountable so that his other Constitutional rights may be denied? I am thinking this is more 1936 than 1984 but both are close.
                  That’s exactly the point. It’s such a moving target, they can decide tomorrow that something we said 5-10 years ago was offensive or hate speech...intent won’t be a factor. We get no vote in this nonsense but pay the full price for it.

Comment

Fuck State Senator Kevin Parker hes an asshole and hope drops dead..I expressed my first amendment..
                    Fuck Cuomo hope he joins the scumbag..
                    Last edited by Ransom; 12-05-2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Banzai View Post
                      I said it before, if this is how those hypocrites wanna play it, there should be a law that requires the same level of internet scrutiny and civil rights violations for anyone who wants to run for public office, elected or appointed. Watch how fast that bill disappears when it applies to them.
                      how's that cake ?

Comment

Bad reporting on a bad proposed law.

The associated press released an article on the proposed law.

Bordering on fake news, the article speculates more on how the law will be used which sounds noble instead of more FAIRLY reporting the facts.

The speculation part of the article is presented before the facts are.

SMH.

http://paper.newsday.com/html5/reade...81205165203678
                        ANY violation by ANY person of ANY provision of this section is a class A misdemeanor. - NYPL §400.00(15)
                        Conspiracy in the sixth degree is a class B misdemeanor. - NYPL §105.00

Comment

Senator Kevin Parker was just on Tucker..
                          So I'm not promoting violence in anyway.. I think this guys an asshole .. I feel if he wants to violate people right to free speech he should go fuck himself with all do respect..now parker wipe your ass with your Bill you idiot..

Comment

Yes and tucker made a great point. What other constitutional rights do you want to violate by reviewing social media?? He didn’t have an answer.
                            Who makes the decision? NYSP, so tucker says so we are going to violate the second amendment rights without due process in a court of law? Again gibberish

newyorkistan lives on as the shithole of the union. And this dill weed smugly says, well if we make it a law and the governor signs it, then we don’t have to ask it’s the law.

Comment

NY isn’t falling apart fast enough is the problem. It’s still considered somewhat prestigious by morons who don’t know better. When it’s nothing here but dregs and no one to support their handouts they’ll learn.....

and I hope to read all about it from a distance.
                              NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Pistol Instructor
                              NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member
                              Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

Comment

Working...
                              X