Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Face-to-Face gun sales

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Face-to-Face gun sales

    This was forwarded to me third person; I do not know the author, nor where/if it was published, but it may have been sent the newspapers as an editorial:

    "New York State has ruled that gun stores are 'non-essential' and must be closed, and some of their archaic police pistol licensing offices are either closed or cutting their hours. When a state makes specific requirements and laws about obtaining firearms, and then closes the only way to obtain them - that would appear unconstitutional. People are scared and want the piece of mind of being able to defend themselves and their family. NY says it knows better than you as to what your family needs for protection and that legally buying a gun right now is not only unnecessary, but almost impossible. PA also tried this, but their governor was advised that they would probably lose many future lawsuits over it, and decided to rescind the order for gun stores to be closed. NY has not done that, of course.
    So, many gun owners, recognizing NY's departure from certain Constitutional rights due to a virus, have departed from following the SAFE Act's rule/law of having to go to an FFL to purchase, sell or trade a firearm. There are more than a dozen people I know in Nassau County that have sold untold amounts of older guns, face-to-face, in the last few days. I also know of several people in Suffolk Co. that have done the same and have heard of many more. Some are actually going out of state, out of NY's jurisdiction, to complete the transaction. Like a bully that keeps pushing the quiet kid, every so often the bully's plan backfires and he gets a black eye. NY now has hundreds of guns in the hands of people who have never owned a gun before - and with zero record of it. If NY's stupidity allows it to think that the SAFE Act has made anyone safer, then their plan backfired. There are now literally hundreds of people on L.I. that have a gun without ever filling out a 4473 or the gun ever being listed in an FFL's books - and NY will never know. Liquor stores are allowed to be open in NY. NY's bail reform has put more criminals back on the street faster. NY is letting low-level criminals out of jail due to the virus. NY is telling its police officers not to enforce certain laws due to the virus. NY is telling its police officers not to enforce arrest warrants for low-level crimes due to the virus. And through all of this, NY is not allowing people to buy, sell or trade firearms."


    I certainly am not advocating for any skirting of laws, but I find this article interesting.



    Last edited by Dan 0351; 03-25-2020, 05:02 PM.
    "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

    #2
    Ive been trying to find an open FFL to do a transfer for me.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by 01TA View Post
      Ive been trying to find an open FFL to do a transfer for me.
      Karps.
      NRA LIFE | SAF | GOA | UTAH / NH / FL / PA / NY CCW | APPLESEED RIFLEMAN | RSO | FREEPORT R&R

      Comment


        #4
        How Coronavirus Shutdowns Are Affecting Gun Stores in Each State



        https://www.thetrace.org/2020/03/cor...res-state-map/
        Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

        Comment


          #5
          resist.gif
          Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

          Comment


            #6
            If even one gun store is open, the Courts are going to give NY a pass, inevitably defeating any constitutional challenge. If NY were do some sort of shut down preventing NICS checks like New Jersey did, that would be likely worth challenging.

            Just my opinion.

            Skirting the law doing face to face transfers with a stranger is asking for civil and criminal liability if something goes wrong with the purchaser's use of the gun. Thats a legal fact.
            Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

            Comment


              #7
              I have two firearms inbound to a very local FFL and as of Monday FedEx, the shippers preferred method of shipping firearms seems to be holding the firearms hostage. When I input the tracking number I get a message that says there is a restriction on delivery and no further updates are available. I'm assuming that FedEx won't make any deliveries to any FFL locations in NY at this point. Can't get a straight answer from FedEx and my guns are floating around out there...somewhere....

              Comment


                #8
                I suspect that when this all blows over there are going to be an number of cultural, social, and economic shifts. People are realizing that colleges can teach over the internet and it shouldn’t cost more than a house to get an education. Employers will find that they need to be more flexible with allowing people to work from home. Many people are going to start saving money for a rainy day rather than live paycheck to paycheck. Big businesses are going to look for alternatives to cheap Chinese labor. And a lot of people are going to realize that when push comes to shove the government does a lot of unnecessary meddling in our lives. Selling take out alcohol caused not trauma so how are they going to roll it back? Everyone wanted a gun in a crisis and found they couldn’t get one? Maybe they’ll stop believing the bullshit they are sold.

                at least, I think these changes will occur. Trump started to rip the facade off the governing class and this virus is exacerbating it.

                Then again, the sheeple will sheep.
                "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                Tucker Max

                Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                Finicky Fat Guy

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Dale Sr. View Post
                  I have two firearms inbound to a very local FFL and as of Monday FedEx, the shippers preferred method of shipping firearms seems to be holding the firearms hostage. When I input the tracking number I get a message that says there is a restriction on delivery and no further updates are available. I'm assuming that FedEx won't make any deliveries to any FFL locations in NY at this point. Can't get a straight answer from FedEx and my guns are floating around out there...somewhere....
                  Maybe because the FFL is closed and the driver can't make the delivery and get the required signature?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post
                    I suspect that when this all blows over there are going to be an number of cultural, social, and economic shifts. People are realizing that colleges can teach over the internet and it shouldn’t cost more than a house to get an education. Employers will find that they need to be more flexible with allowing people to work from home. Many people are going to start saving money for a rainy day rather than live paycheck to paycheck. Big businesses are going to look for alternatives to cheap Chinese labor. And a lot of people are going to realize that when push comes to shove the government does a lot of unnecessary meddling in our lives. Selling take out alcohol caused not trauma so how are they going to roll it back? Everyone wanted a gun in a crisis and found they couldn’t get one? Maybe they’ll stop believing the bullshit they are sold.

                    at least, I think these changes will occur. Trump started to rip the facade off the governing class and this virus is exacerbating it.

                    Then again, the sheeple will sheep.
                    Hopefully many change when THEY want to buy guns and can't.
                    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Grifhunter View Post

                      Skirting the law doing face to face transfers with a stranger is asking for civil and criminal liability if something goes wrong with the purchaser's use of the gun. Thats a legal fact.
                      i would think that a private ammo sale, even though legal, would be open to a liability suit.

                      Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Vitaman View Post
                        i would think that a private ammo sale, even though legal, would be open to a liability suit.
                        ONLY if the seller had an reasonable basis to know that the purchaser was ineligible to receive the ammo, ie selling to a kid, felon, etc.
                        Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I can tell you that Nassau County PD had many officers out to shut down stores today. I know that Bruce @ Hunters is still open after a visit and was a given a letter saying he can remain open. It appears a lot of it has to do with him being a one man show.
                          Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I do not condone breaking the law. But if someone drops a firearm on the ground and I loan them some money and then find the firearm and safeguard it, aren’t I doing the right thing?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Yup...sole proprietor status lets him open up. One man show wins.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X