New York City scraps English test for taxi drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York City scraps English test for taxi drivers

That's okay. i don't think they actually had to pass it on the test anyway.

New York City scraps English test for taxi drivers.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/20...i-drivers.html

EW YORK – New York City taxi drivers will no longer have to pass an English test under new rules designed to make it easier for immigrants to get behind the wheel of a yellow cab.

The test for a taxi license will be available in several languages under regulations that went into effect Friday.

The change was approved by the City Council in April and signed into law by Mayor Bill de Blasio.

The New York Times reports that city officials sought parity with app-based ride services such as Uber, which don't require an English test.

The city's taxi drivers have been overwhelmingly foreign-born for decades.

According to the Taxi and Limousine Commission, just 4 percent of current drivers were born in the United States.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Just announced, NYC Taxi passengers will have to take a test proving they speak Somali, Russian and Farsi as to not insult the drivers.
    Last edited by C6NY; 08-20-2016, 10:00 PM.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

Comment

This irks me.

Comment

No need to ask them if they speak English. Stick your head in the cab and take a whiff.
        Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Fuck the test, they should enforce bathing and hygiene on those smelly dicks.

Comment

No worries.
            They speak "some" English.

Comment

Originally posted by pandm View Post
              No worries.
              They speak "some" English.
              One of my favorites!!!
              "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Llaara View Post
                This irks me.
                Check your privilege.
                I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
                I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Why would anyone support the fascist New York taxi industry, when you can take an uber

Comment

Originally posted by Ancap View Post
                    Why would anyone support the fascist New York taxi industry, when you can take an uber
                    uber hires non English speakers too.
                    although you probably mean because it is a ridiculously regulated and extorted enterprise of the nyc government versus uber

Comment

Bloomberg (yeah, that one) swore he would destroy the yellow cab industry. By some coincidence, King Bloomie's friends are heavily invested in Uber.

Comment

Uber promotes free market and better service then the heavy regulated taxi industry....it's time for the corrupt medallion system to go

Comment

Then go along with Bloomberg.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
                            Then go along with Bloomberg.

Hey if uber is causing Bloomberg to spend money on increasing Liberty rather then restricting it. I am all for it

Comment

After losing an extended, expensive fight in Austin over an ordinance passed in December that mandated fingerprinting for ridesharing drivers, Uber and Lyft have ceased operating in the city. Drivers are upset about the loss of income. Riders are angry about being stuck with Austin’s insufficient cab service. Everyone is framing it in terms of crotchety, charming old Austin versus the interlopers who have either made the city one of the most vibrant in the country or killed its soul, depending on whether you moved to the city before or after Twitter exploded at SXSW.

Comment

Working...
                              X