Trump calls out Sentry Safe for leaving Rochester area for Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trump calls out Sentry Safe for leaving Rochester area for Mexico

Employees react after Trump calls out Sentry Safe for leaving Rochester area for Mexico

During his stop on Sunday, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump took direct aim at a Pittsford company called Sentry Safe.

On June 30, Sentry Safe locks its doors and moves to Mexico. Trump said as president he would stop it. An employee we talked to wishes someone could stop the company from closing. He's worked at Sentry Safe for 14 years, but his job ends in June.

It took Donald Trump just three minutes before he set his target on Sentry Safe.

"Sentry Safe just left," said Trump. "They moved to Mexico, right? No good, no good. I'm the only one who knows how to stop it. I would stop them so fast your heads would spin. Your heads would spin."

Trump said as president he would impose a 35 percent tax on any Sentry Safe product made in Mexico and imported back into this country.

"And if they know that before they make their decision to move and before they build their plant," said Trump. “If they know that they're going to be paying a 35 percent tax, they're not moving folks. They’re going to stay where they are -- they'll be fine."

Sentry Safe employee Todd Chapman says, "What he had to say yesterday was exactly what I wanted to hear."

Chapman is an engineer at Sentry safe. His job ends at the end of June. He had a ticket for Trump's rally.

Brean: "What did you think of his comments on Sentry Safe?"

Chapman: "I think they were right on. I think if we're going to move these jobs overseas, the one thing we're not moving overseas is the taxes. When my job ends in June, I'm going to get a school tax bill and I'm going to be expected to pay that."

Chapman wonders how he will pay that when his job moved to Mexico.

We asked Sentry's parent company Master Lock to react to Trump's comments but we got no response back.

We spoke with economics professor Amit Bata-Byal about Trump's plan. He says the president has the power to levy tariffs on specific products or countries. He's not sure it would deter companies from moving and he's pretty sure someone would sue the president over it.

http://www.whec.com/news/employees-r...ester/4102194/
    Pat ------> NRA Endowment Member

35% tax would cock block ANY company trying to move to cheap locales, good for Trump I hope he does that someday!!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer21 View Post
      35% tax would cock block ANY company trying to move to cheap locales, good for Trump I hope he does that someday!!
      And start a tax war with importers of American products. I actually have no idea what America manufactures anymore, except stupid over sensitive crybaby college students and overpaid underworked agenda pushing college professors.
      SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Russian View Post

And start a tax war with importers of American products. I actually have no idea what America manufactures anymore, except stupid over sensitive crybaby college students and overpaid underworked agenda pushing college professors.
        Bravo Zulu! Absolutely true!

Comment

I wonder...how many illegals can they fit in a safe?
          If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...

Comment

Paying the 35% tax is cheaper than doing business in NY !

Comment

Mexico will just impose a 35% surcharge on everything we import, such as food, guitars, automobiles, electronic, building supplies. etc.

We would lose on any tarriff trade war. The consumer is the loser always in this battle. The answer is to stop government spending, stop overregulating, cap tort lawsuits, and of course lowing corporate tax rates.

Corporations don't move jobs overseas, US consumers do. People like cheap imported crap and vote with their pocketbook. How many posts are there about amazing foreign made guns? Nobody bought US made footwear, so whats a manufacturer to do? Operate at a loss or move production to a cheaper locale?
              Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

Someone once said that America doesn't have an income problem, it has a spending problem.
                SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Over-taxing imports only hurts the consumer. A better plan is to cut oppressive taxes and gov't regs on industry.
                  Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Working...
                  X