A heavy hand in your pocket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A heavy hand in your pocket

Ok, somthere are some issues out east that require hundreds of homeowners to connect to a new water main being installed by...wait for it...the lowest responsible bidder. Somehow, this contractor (you know who they are) are charging 300% of what private contractors want for the same work.
    This contractor is working for SCWA. They also do an immense amount of work for LIPA, National Grid and other gubmint and quisi-gubmint entities.
    End of day, we are getting slammed by these vendor costs and most people have no clue just how bad it is.

Example, tells all you need to know on this one:
    “Water authority officials estimate that private plumbers charge about $30 per foot to connect to the mains, while the water authority’s contractor, Asplundh Contracting Co., is charging $93 per foot”

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...fee-1.20966885

The Suffolk County Water Authority will adjust the price that almost two dozen Wainscott residents will eventually be charged to connect to public water, in part because they were not told that using a water authority contractor could cost three times the market rate.

The water authority broke ground last month on the installation of 45,000 feet of water mains in Wainscott where perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctanesulfonic acid (PFOS), compounds the Environmental Protection Agency says may cause cancer or other health problems, have been detected in more than 100 private wells.

Water authority officials estimate that private plumbers charge about $30 per foot to connect to the mains, while the water authority’s contractor, Asplundh Contracting Co., is charging $93 per foot. Work performed by Asplundh, which has an office in Yaphank, will be paid upfront by the town, rolled into a property owner’s tax bill with interest and paid off over 20 years. Work performed by an independent plumber usually must be paid at the time of installation.

Asplundh has charged the 21 residents who have already connected to the new mains between $7,733 and $36,157 for the hookup. The price varies by the length of pipe from a residence to the road, according to the water authority.

East Hampton Town and water authority officials are urging residents to obtain an estimate from a private plumber as well as Asplundh before connecting to the newly installed mains.

“It’s really important that these people know what their options are,” East Hampton Town Supervisor Peter Van Scoyoc said Tuesday after a town board work session. “Everyone has to have the opportunity to make their own decision.”

The water authority is sending out mailers, making phone calls and knocking on doors to ensure residents know their options, said Jeff Szabo, the authority's CEO. Town officials said Monday in a news release that they insisted the water authority make the options clear to residents.

“We have put a hold on connecting service lines” by Asplundh, to ensure residents are fully informed of the cost, Szabo said. “We’re really just trying to clarify the issue.”

An Asplundh representative could not be reached for comment.

The state Department of Environmental Conservation is expected to release a draft report in the fall on the contamination’s source, though it is suspected to have originated somewhere on the East Hampton Airport property.

Laraine Hayes, a retired attorney who owns four Wainscott properties, said she found the water authority’s estimates, which in her case ranged from $10,000 to $22,000, “outrageous,” but added it was unfair that she must pay any money at all considering she didn’t cause the contamination.

“It’s not like I’m paying to paint my house or make an improvement,” Hayes said. “I’m paying for a problem that I’m not responsible for.”

And so if they are screwing the customer 300%, how much of a screwing is the "lowest bidder" giving the SCWA??, etal...the rate payers? All criminals I tell ya. One lies, and the other swears to it.

Comment

Ironic that they have to hook up the water main so the homeowner can get hosed.

Comment

Overpay,and then add intrest over 20 yrs,, I will bite at what rate ????

Comment

Well, they do have really nice trucks that always seem fairly new and in good condition. Now we know why.
          No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

Regards,
          Chris

Comment

Btw and somewhat on and somewhat off topic -

Whats with this new BS that if you have an in ground sprinkler system the town has someone come to your house every year to inspect the backflow device?

Anyone else dealing with this or is this a Town of Oyster Bay bullshit thing? My buddy in Bellmore looked at me like I have ten heads when I mentioned it to him.....
            NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Pistol Instructor
            NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member
            Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

Comment

So while the SUFFOLK County Water Authority pays 3 times the going rate for plumbing services our Suffolk legislature tackles the important issues like making sure we have to pay a nickle for a grocery bag.
              I'm sure they are now working on other more important things like banning straws.
              Tag line thanks to @Synner

He’s like a walking “Tickle Me Angry” doll.

Comment

What must these guys be charging for all the tree trimming, road patching, pole work and all the other stuff they do out there? They seem to be the dominant or primary sub doing all that sort of work. Eventually we pay every dime of these insane overcharges.

Comment

And I can tell you from personal experience the work Asplundh does as far as water and gas service is absolute shit! Shitty work, shitty restoration, shitty supervision; just shit shit shit. And slow too. The tree crews however do seem tp have their shit together.

Comment

Originally posted by Synner View Post
                    Btw and somewhat on and somewhat off topic -

Whats with this new BS that if you have an in ground sprinkler system the town has someone come to your house every year to inspect the backflow device?

Anyone else dealing with this or is this a Town of Oyster Bay bullshit thing? My buddy in Bellmore looked at me like I have ten heads when I mentioned it to him.....
                    Dont feel bad that is a nassau county requirement not just TOB to have a backflow device. Some towns are just a bit more proactive in the enforcement of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post
                      What must these guys be charging for all the tree trimming, road patching, pole work and all the other stuff they do out there? They seem to be the dominant or primary sub doing all that sort of work. Eventually we pay every dime of these insane overcharges.
                      That's why many companies support big government. They make a fortune off it. Of course the taxpayer foots the bill.

My friends Uncle is a successful businessman. He's owned many small businesses, real estate, etc.. He's also a staunch Democrat.
                      I couldn't understand why. He's intelligent, hard working and in the private sector. He must pay boatloads of taxes.

1 time he told how he and a partner bought land somewhere out east in Suffolk County. It was crappy land. They bought the acreage for somewhere in the $350,000 range.
                      Then they sold the right to build on it to the government for $1.1 million. Some government program where they wanted to protect the water shed
                      Then they donated the land to some other government.
                      I don't know which government was involved in all this: local, county, state fed etc.

I laughed and said " Now I understand why you're a Democrat and like government!"
                      You 've become a millionaire because of them."

He stressed he did nothing illegal and it was a good program for the people.
                      He questioned why I thought it was a bad program protecting the water shed.
                      I told him it has nothing to do with the goals of the program.
                      Why couldn't the government simply buy the land for $350,000?
                      He only bought the land because of this program.
                      That's the problem with government.
                      It's not their money

Comment

Originally posted by louiethe23rd View Post

Dont feel bad that is a nassau county requirement not just TOB to have a backflow device. Some towns are just a bit more proactive in the enforcement of it.
                        I better call my town to check my backflow device.
                        I only feel secure when some government bureaucrat tells me it';s okay.

Comment

Working...
                        X