X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

I had to zoom in on that one!

Bear.PNG
    Not many private land owners in that area, someone has a good sense of humor.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post

Hope, HWY 1 south to Homer and then back up to Copper Valley
      Did the trip from Anchorage to Tok to Fairbanks to Mt McKinley and back to Anchorage once.

Real quiet roads into and out of Tok back then.
      Last edited by OH UNCLE PAUL; 08-17-2019, 06:20 PM.
      The escape is half complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

Alaska is on the bucket list,2 more yrs. Great pics

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post
          May do an Alaskan cruise next summer . I’ve always wanted to this and the wife came up with this to celebrate her 60th . I know the excursions can be pricey
          Several of my family members just got back from an Alaskan Cruise. It was their first time so they enjoyed it very much.
          The thing is, these guys are adventurers (both just got off of deployments). They didn't ask me, but I would have told them not to see Alaska by boat. Seems to me that cruises are great if you want to eat well, relax and see the Alaskan shoreline day in, day out. Plus a few excursions from the ports.
          But when I went, I didn't know if or when I'd be back, so I wanted to do as much as possible. In 14 days we:
          - took a 4-person helicopter to a glacier, then did dog'sledding on the glacier. On the flight back, we followed a Black Bear for a bit.
          - donned dry suits and did white water rafting.
          - took a 6-seater flight around Mt. McKinley (Denali)
          - took a bus tour into Denali Nat'l Park, saw a bunch of grizzlies, caribou, a moose and a lone wolf.
          - took a wildlife jetboat tour, saw bears and eagles, had lunch on an island (full of bear tracks, but no bears seen).
          - took a full day cruise out of Seward, saw eagles (everywhere), Killer Whales, Dall Porpoises, Puffins, a glacier calving.
          - took a full day 6-seater float plane flight to where we saw no less than 30 Brown Bears catching fish. Some within 40 yards of us.
          - Anchorage* aquarium.
          - a second bear flight to a different area was cancelled due to the plane having mechanical problems.
          - scenic train rides
          - a few other things I can't remember.
          We did NOT do any fishing - which was absurd. We just couldn't fit it in.

This was done through an Alaskan trip/outfitter company that you pay and they make all of the reservations. And the cost was only a bit more than a better 10+ day cruise. The bad part for some was that we were on-the-go non-stop. Every morning we were up with the birds getting ready for a new excursion. So, see what you want out of your Alaska trip, taking into account the other people you'll be going with and what they want out of it.

When I go back, I will fish and go back to the bears - no need for the other stuff. I can sit and watch Grizzlies for days - maybe weeks.

*Anchorage reminded me of a larger Farmingdale. From our hotel room window I took pics of Anchorage PD arresting a female and putting her into a police cruiser. Their zoning laws were odd. There would be three or 4 houses, then a business, then another house, then a business, etc. For me, Anchorage was drab and boring and I couldn't wait to leave to see what I had gone there for. And the Alaskan King Crab legs were MORE expensive there than they are at a good restaurant here!

Hope this helps anyone thinking about going there - but any way you do it, you'll probably LOVE Alaska.
          Last edited by Dan 0351; 08-17-2019, 06:26 PM.
          "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

Several of my family members just got back from an Alaskan Cruise. It was their first time so they enjoyed it very much.
            The thing is, these guys are adventurers (both just got off of deployments). They didn't ask me, but I would have told them not to see Alaska by boat. Seems to me that cruises are great if you want to eat well, relax and see the Alaskan shoreline day in, day out. Plus a few excursions from the ports.
            But when I went, I didn't know if or when I'd be back, so I wanted to do as much as possible. In 14 days we:
            - took a 4-person helicopter to a glacier, then did dog'sledding on the glacier. On the flight back, we followed a Black Bear for a bit.
            - took a bus tour into Denali Nat'l Park, saw a bunch of grizzlies, caribou, a moose and a lone wolf.
            - took a wildlife jetboat tour, saw bears and eagles, had lunch on an island (full of bear tracks, but no bears seen).
            - took a full day cruise out of Seward, saw eagles (everywhere), Killer Whales, Dall Porpoises, Puffins, a glacier calving.
            - took a full day 6-seater float plane flight to where we saw no less than 30 Brown Bears catching fish. Some within 40 yards of us.
            - Anchorage* aquarium.
            - a second bear flight to a different area was cancelled due to the plane having mechanical problems.
            - scenic train rides

This was done through an Alaskan trip/outfitter company that you pay and they make all of the reservations. And the cost was only a bit more than a better 10+ day cruise. The bad part for some was that we were on-the-go non-stop. Every morning we were up with the birds getting ready for a new excursion. So, see what you want out of your Alaska trip, taking into account the other people you'll be going with and what they want out of it.

When I go back, I will fish and go back to the bears - no need for the other stuff. I can sit and watch Grizzlies for days - maybe weeks.

*Anchorage reminded me of a larger Farmingdale. From our hotel room window I took pics of Anchorage PD arresting a female and putting her into a police cruiser. Their zoning laws were odd. There would be three or 4 houses, then a business, then another house, then a business, etc. For me, Anchorage was drab and boring and I couldn't wait to leave to see what I had gone there for. And the Alaskan King Crab legs were MORE expensive there than they are at a good restaurant here!

Hope this helps anyone thinking about going there - but any way you do it, you'll probably LOVE Alaska.
            It will always be Mount McKinley to me.

It was kind of sad when I was there to see the native Alaskans basically bums on the street in Anchorage when I was there. It was quite awhile ago, perhaps it has gotten better.

If I ever step foot on a plane again, it will be to go back there.
            The escape is half complete. The inventor of Hawk fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 8 the Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by OH UNCLE PAUL View Post

It was kind of sad when I was there to see the native Alaskans basically bums on the street in Anchorage when I was there. It was quite awhile ago, perhaps it has gotten better.

It’s a sad paradox to see the native Alaskans lives up there. We, white man’s gubmint, police their housing, their access to alcohol, their schools and place restrictions on them that don’t apply to us. Some deal they got. Lots of welfare among natives too, not only in the cities but statewide.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post

It’s a sad paradox to see the native Alaskans lives up there. We, white man’s gubmint, police their housing, their access to alcohol, their schools and place restrictions on them that don’t apply to us. Some deal they got. Lots of welfare among natives too, not only in the cities but statewide.
                Not for nothing but if there is no restrictions on jobs, perhaps their issues are their own fault.

Comment

- Anchorage* aquarium.
                  - scenic train rides

Yeah ok I’m lucky if I can get her to go on It’s a Small World at Disney. I got yelled at for making her go on that raft ride in Animal Kingdom

Comment

Yeah ok I’m lucky if I can get her to go on It’s a Small World at Disney. I got yelled at for making her go on that raft ride in Animal Kingdom
                    Tell her there is a gift shop at the end. That sells cake also. Win Win

Comment

"Nuff said." I'm thinking a 6 hour round trip float plane ride in a 1953-built 6-seater would be out of the question?

(But it was piloted by a former F/A-18 and Shuttle pilot - true story)
                      "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

Originally posted by OH UNCLE PAUL View Post

Flying is still safer than driving down Merrick rd on a Saturday. Just sayin.

Comment

Working...
                        X