X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finicky Fat Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by Range Time View Post

Don't worry. I'll miss a few clays for you.
    I’d prefer to hit them meself.

Leave a comment:

• Range Time
    replied
    Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post

Yes, and it's always the same day as a family charity event that I can't miss.
    Don't worry. I'll miss a few clays for you.

Leave a comment:

• Finicky Fat Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by Range Time View Post
    If our overlords allow it and the elderly gentlemen at Peconic are willing, there will be a breast cancer fundraiser sporting clays event at Peconic River Sportsman's Club in September. It's an awesome time for everyone!
    Yes, and it's always the same day as a family charity event that I can't miss.

Leave a comment:

• Range Time
    replied
    If our overlords allow it and the elderly gentlemen at Peconic are willing, there will be a breast cancer fundraiser sporting clays event at Peconic River Sportsman's Club in September. It's an awesome time for everyone!

Leave a comment:

• Finicky Fat Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by Augustus View Post

Do they do Sporting Clays or just skeet & trap?
    All three. They used to have 5 Stand as well, which is like Sporting Clays lite but last time I was there they had ended that.

Leave a comment:

• Yaphank Kid
    replied
    Originally posted by class3 View Post
    Is this the place that used to be Dover Furnace, or a different place?
    Dover Furnace closed years ago

Leave a comment:

• Augustus
    replied
    Originally posted by Briganti13 View Post
    There's a great set up in Westchester at Blue Mountain Reservation Sportsman. I went once and would def go back.
    Do they do Sporting Clays or just skeet & trap?

Leave a comment:

• FastPhil
    replied
    My son in laws father shoots compilation here on Long Island all the time mostly at Mattituck. I gone with him a few times to Yaphank. Shoots trap and does 24s-25s. To top it off he only has 1 eye. I improved a lot when I started keeping both eyes open ( right dominate )and just point. My all time high was 21 on my last visit.

Leave a comment:

• Briganti13
    replied
    There's a great set up in Westchester at Blue Mountain Reservation Sportsman. I went once and would def go back.

Leave a comment:

• Aquabach
    replied
    Suffolk Sporting Clays, trap & Skeet in Yaphank is the only public course.
    It's okay. As long as u don't shoot elsewhere.

LVSC Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays is the way a course should be but it's a trip to go there

Leave a comment:

• Augustus
    replied
    Originally posted by class3 View Post
    Honestly don't know, but it's expansive & seemed very modern.

Leave a comment:

• Finicky Fat Guy
    replied
    The only public place on LI is Yaphank. There is at least one private club that I know of but haven't been to. Welcome to the addiction. Sporting Clays has become my favorite shooting activity. Followed by trap or skeet, then knockdown steel, then everything else.

Leave a comment:

• class3
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Augustus
    started a topic Sporting Clays - How did I miss you?

Sporting Clays - How did I miss you?

Went camping in the Catskills this weekend for a bachelor party for my godson. The highlight of the weekend was a visit to: https://www.midhudsonsporting.com/

There were 8 of us & we split into 2 teams with an instructor for each team. Our instructor was a high-energy positive guy who gave us a lot of tips as we were shooting. He guaranteed we would leave with a smile on our faces. And, he was right.

I started off decently. We were told we would have to 'unlearn' some thing from target shooting to be decent sporting clay shooters. As the day, progressed I actually got worse. But - my best bud was nailing everything - a natural. I was a bit bummed because we were competitive in our youth & he was way better than I was. Actually, I was the worst one on our 4 man team.

So - we come to the end & we have an 8 man head-to-head elimination tournament where the clays can be thrown at any time in any direction. As I approach the platform my instructor leans in & says "Don't think, do" And, I just went on a tear. I face my buddy in the finals & smoke him 3-0. I know I'm bragging, but a middle-aged dude needs some victories once in a while

Anyway, tons of fun. I guess I'll have to look at places to do this on LI, but this place was a blast:

Owned and operated by shooters, for shooters.

Mid Hudson presents world-class sporting & FITASC targets in a picturesque Hudson Valley setting. Our targets are set by Steve Meyen and Quinn O’Brien, and their staff. We welcome world class shooters and newcomers everyday.

Our course has over 100 traps across 25 stations (4 traps per station), giving you a broad range of targets to practice individually, as report pairs, or as simos. We strive to create a course that will push you beyond your current abilities, without making it too difficult. We also offer two FITASC fields and one five stand. We throw standard, 90, 60, rabbit, and battue targets in multiple colors and use lifts and platforms create unique angles.

The course is fully automated so you don’t need a trapper or a reservation. Solo shooters can set a time delay on targets throws.

Seated on over 100 acres, Mid Hudson Sporting has a beautiful course trail surrounded by nature and wildlife. Inside our clubhouse we have a pro shop that sells basic shooting supplies, ammunition, and sporting shotguns (we are a licensed gun dealer). We offer complimentary coffee all day, so you can gear up before you go out or relax once you finish shooting.

Mid Hudson is a NSCA member club and frequently hosts competition events for our members and the general public. We offer lessons with professional instructors and occasionally guests instructors from around the world.

Our range is centrally located — just 75 miles from New York City and 3 miles off the New York State Thruway (I-87) at Exit 18 (New Paltz).

Working...
X