Just joined Freeport. Have a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just joined Freeport. Have a few questions

I joined Freeport tonight and I have a few questions.

Based on the layout and how the range was explained it seems like it's more of a pistol range. Not so much for rifles, except for .22
    cal.

So, no shooters on the 25 yard line when people are shooting on the 50 yard line.

The only place to shoot rifle larger than .22 cal are the five points at 50 yards.

Its seems like if you are shooting rifle on the 50 yard line someone with a pistol can politely give you the boot after 15 minutes so they can shoot on the 25 yard line. Is this accurate?

Can you shoot rifle there for an extended period of time? Not talking .22 cal.

Is it a waste to show up with only rifles because you may go there and not be able to shoot??

is this accurate?

Excited to be a member.

Generally the 25 yards is the default, if there's a bunch of shooters who can't agree on distance. You can fire rifles on the right side anywhere from 0 to 50. I've gone a few times to test fire new builds with other people shooting at the 25, i always ask if they can give me 5 minutes to fire from 50 whenever its good for them (next target change, they're almost done, etc) and have never had any issues. One of the great things about freeport is asshole shooters generally don't pay to join freeport, everyone I've encountered is always exceedingly friendly. If you are cool with shooting rifle from 25, you can shoot while handgunners are shooting from 25 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mattyj513 View Post
      Generally the 25 yards is the default, if there's a bunch of shooters who can't agree on distance. You can fire rifles on the right side anywhere from 0 to 50. I've gone a few times to test fire new builds with other people shooting at the 25, i always ask if they can give me 5 minutes to fire from 50 whenever its good for them (next target change, they're almost done, etc) and have never had any issues. One of the great things about freeport is asshole shooters generally don't pay to join freeport, everyone I've encountered is always exceedingly friendly. If you are cool with shooting rifle from 25, you can shoot while handgunners are shooting from 25 as well.
      Wow, I'm a schmuck! I didn't think of shooting rifle at the 25 yard line with the pistols. Assuming they aren't shooting any closer. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Everything Matty said. I would add, now that you are a member, visit the range and get a sense of how things work there. I've always found a strong mutual respect among members and even a sense of ownership and pride in the facility. I have never witnessed an issue on the firing line, pistol guys respect the need for rifle guys to get trigger time and the rifle guys do the same.
        The default line is a good rule and seems to work well for all concerned.
        Another nice thing about the range is you can always go inside and have a cup of coffee, let the folks on the line sling their lead and go back in a little while.

Always leave aver it better/cleaner than you found it, say hi to other shooters and have fun. Joining was money well invested.

Comment

^Yup, i tend to go late at night, and i try to give the entire indoor range a good cleaning. Figure the early morning guys appreciate coming in and having a nice clean range.

Comment

^Yup, i tend to go late at night, and i try to give the entire indoor range a good cleaning. Figure the early morning guys appreciate coming in and having a nice clean range.
            With two young a kids at home I will probably a late guy as well.

Is the outdoor range open rain or shine 365 days. Except when there are events.

Comment

The outdoor range is open from 830am to dusk daily rain or shine. The only exceptions are when the range is rented out for training. The rented days are stamped on the calendar by the sign in book. The default line is 25 so if you're shooting there everyone has to. If no ones there or you agree to shoot closer, it can be done. I think you'll see that the range is used a lot less than you think and finding time to shoot in the pit with your rifle is easy. Clean up after yourself, follow the rules, and you'll have a great time.
              All aboard the Trump train............................................. ....

Comment

For the most part, yes. The outdoor range will be closed if pd is doing qualifiers/training, the juniors club is Sundays at 2 during the school year, and there are periodic closures for matches and such. Get those young kids signed up for the juniors next year!

Comment

Great range and great people running it. I always enjoy going. Life is getting in the way a lot lately
                  let's make america great again

Comment

For the most part, yes. The outdoor range will be closed if pd is doing qualifiers/training, the juniors club is Sundays at 2 during the school year, and there are periodic closures for matches and such. Get those young kids signed up for the juniors next year!
                    My kids are 5 & 3, so it may be a few years. They mentioned that they start at 5, but I definitely don't see my daughter shooting now.

How do the lockers work? Do I just put a lock on one if there's no lock on it? Do I need to sign up? I like the idea of leaving extra eyes/ears and tools there.

Getting excited to go.

Comment

• Dan 0351
                      Dan 0351 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lockers are the property of the Little Club and the Junior Club. If they have any left, I believe they're $10 -$15 for the year with the money going into the coffee/bagel fund or ammo/equip for the Jr's.

I believe the lockers are for the Little Club members, not 100% sure to be honest. I always keep a range bag in my vehicle jic.

My son joined right when he turned 5, he's 9 now and a better shot than me with slow fire 22. Daughter is 2, she's got her first rifle waiting for her when she is ready. Age definitely depends on the particular kid, my son always showed interest and has a military type discipline when it comes to anything with guns. I have known other 5 year olds that shouldn't be allowed in public without restraints. Nobody knows your kids better than you, so you make the call, but the Junior program is tough to beat in terms of what your kid will learn.

Comment

Sure were a lot of people down there tonight. I joined as well and was confused about how it works.

Do people not shoot from the same firing line? I'd imagine that you shoot from the same firing line but can setup targets anywhere from 7 out to whatever the max is... I guess not?

Similar to inside, where the target system takes it from... whatever the mininum is out to the back? So you can have your target in between.

Does it not work that way for outside? Are all the targets at the same distance but you just stand closer/further???

I was not sure what to expect when I went down there... having been involved in the fire services for many years... it almost felt like that, only... nicer people (those in the fire service know what I mean, where you have the older TOUGHER crowds who kind of don't give the newbies a break)... this was nice. Whoever that lady was, Mary... i think, man she sure runs around a lot getting stuff done. Everybody was great there. Extremely friendly and took the time to show/answer peoples questions.
                      Last edited by Vycor; 06-22-2016, 11:17 PM.

Comment

I believe the lockers are for the Little Club members, not 100% sure to be honest. I always keep a range bag in my vehicle jic.

My son joined right when he turned 5, he's 9 now and a better shot than me with slow fire 22. Daughter is 2, she's got her first rifle waiting for her when she is ready. Age definitely depends on the particular kid, my son always showed interest and has a military type discipline when it comes to anything with guns. I have known other 5 year olds that shouldn't be allowed in public without restraints. Nobody knows your kids better than you, so you make the call, but the Junior program is tough to beat in terms of what your kid will learn.
                        I don't think my daughter would like hearing the gun shots. I think it would scare the shit out of her.

Plus, my wife and I are still trying to figure how to possibly introduce firearms into her life without it affecting her at school or socially with friends. She tells her teachers EVERYTHING!! And I mean everything. But, that is a whole new topic.

Comment

You aren't allowed to position your target to shoot in the outside lanes anywhere but all the way back, all the middle ones there is a line on the ceiling denoting the closest you can position your target. Outside if there is more than 1 shooter they have to shoot from the same line. Targets outside should be up at the backstop, i believe matches are the exception. Were you wearing the Melia shirt?

Comment

Originally posted by Vycor View Post
                            Sure were a lot of people down there tonight. I joined as well and was confused about how it works.

Do people not shoot from the same firing line? I'd imagine that you shoot from the same firing line but can setup targets anywhere from 7 out to whatever the max is... I guess not?

Similar to inside, where the target system takes it from... whatever the mininum is out to the back? So you can have your target in between.

Does it not work that way for outside? Are all the targets at the same distance but you just stand closer/further???

I was not sure what to expect when I went down there... having been involved in the fire services for many years... it almost felt like that, only... nicer people (those in the fire service know what I mean, where you have the older TOUGHER crowds who kind of don't give the newbies a break)... this was nice. Whoever that lady was, Mary... i think, man she sure runs around a lot getting stuff done. Everybody was great there. Extremely friendly and took the time to show/answer peoples questions.
                            I think I just need to go down there and see how it runs. I think that will make it a lot easier to figure out.

Everyone fires on the same line and you can't move the targets unless by the sandpit. I guess I'll need to bring a spotting scope if we are always shooting 25 yards with a pistol.

Comment

Working...
                            X