12 year old at Mitchell Field Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 year old at Mitchell Field Range

Question for you all. My 12 year old daughter likes to shoot also. I see that the rules for the Mitchell Field Range states nothing bigger than a .22 and a hunter safety course is required. My question is , does she need to complete the course, just me or both? Also what about for Calverton? I did not see anything listed like that on their web site. I don't mind purchasing a .22 but it was not necessarily going to be my next purchase. She actually likes shooting a .45 which she did in North Carolina when we went to visit my son stationed there in the USMC.Thanks in advance.
    ​​​

When you say .45, was this rifle or pistol?

You will be “good to go” at Calverton, but I would suggest you bring a friend with a .22 rifle or pick one up. Definitely call Mitchell Field to ask them any questions you may have.

Comment

• DKSDAD
      DKSDAD commented
      Editing a comment
      It was a .45 Glock 21 that we rented along with a Sig 365 and a suppressed AR.

Rimfire only for her at Mitchel Field. YOU need to complete the Hunter Safety course UNLESS you can meet one of their other requirements:
    1. Persons ages 12-16 may fire a .22 small bore rifle only and only under the following conditions:

Be supervised by;
    • A parent or guardian who has in his possession a New York State Hunters Safety Certificate-
    • A duly commissioned officer of the United States Army,Navy,Marine Corp,Coast Guard, or NY National Guard.
    • A duly qualified adult citizen of the United States Army who has been granted a certificate as an instructor in Rifle issued by the United States Army,Navy,Marine Corp,or the Adjutant General of the US or by the National Rifle Association
    • Present a photo ID and an official proof of age document with a raised seal
    Calverton probably the requirement is that you stay by her side and watch over her!

Comment

• DKSDAD
      DKSDAD commented
      Editing a comment
      The photo is and proof of age is what throw me.I will have to find out if her middle school is and birth certificate is all I need by calling them.

• SemiAutoFetish
      SemiAutoFetish commented
      Editing a comment
      i believe that's what i had for my son. I think I showed them his middle school ID. They made a copy of it so that i wouldn't have to show it every visit
      Last edited by SemiAutoFetish; 09-08-2021, 10:18 AM.

Go to south shore sportsman in Islip. Much better place to take a kid or allow a new shooter to experience firing a firearm. They are very pleasant and accommodating.

Comment

• DKSDAD
      DKSDAD commented
      Editing a comment
      I have heard that.

• Pat M
      Pat M commented
      Editing a comment
      I have heard that also.

Originally posted by DKSDAD View Post
    Question for you all. My 12 year old daughter likes to shoot also. I see that the rules for the Mitchell Field Range states nothing bigger than a .22 and a hunter safety course is required. My question is , does she need to complete the course, just me or both? Also what about for Calverton? I did not see anything listed like that on their web site. I don't mind purchasing a .22 but it was not necessarily going to be my next purchase. She actually likes shooting a .45 which she did in North Carolina when we went to visit my son stationed there in the USMC.Thanks in advance.
    ​​​
    Go to Calverton.

Comment

• Theirishweaver
      Theirishweaver commented
      Editing a comment
      freedom....along with guys with their pants to their knees stacking 3-4 long guns on the back of their bench as they fall in all directions, sweeping barrels all over taking them in and out of their cars, rapid firing with spur grips, leaving them on the bench as you check your targets....thank god i have the freedom to take my kid to a much safer, organized, and educational shooting environment.

• Range Time
      Range Time commented
      Editing a comment
      ...and other people have the freedom to bring their kid to a place where they can shoot what they want when they want while usually never seeing the antics you seem to find there all the many times you have gone.

Added bonus: You don't have to bring your kid's birth certificate in order for him or her to shoot.

• Theirishweaver
      Theirishweaver commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve seen much worse there which is why I personally would never take a 12 year old there to learn - nor recommend anyone to

Took my son when he was 13, .22 Long arm only, his school ID and birth certificate was all I needed. Mitchell Field is closed til the 13th I believe

Comment

A 12 year old cannot legally shoot a handgun in the state of NY, under any circumstances. I believe 14 is the minimum age in NY under very specific conditions.

Comment

take her to Islip Town (outdoor) range - ive been taking my daughter there since she was 12 - the range officers are amazing and LOVE having kids to teach - and the range is run SAFE, organized, and right. Also its outdoors and they can sit at a bench as opposed to standing at a pistol line - on a nice day its such a fun time with her.

By law youre supposed to have your Hunters Ed and she has to be 12 years old minimum and only .22 cal long guns

Dont take her anywhere else you wont be disappointed
        Last edited by Theirishweaver; 09-08-2021, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Range Time
          Range Time commented
          Editing a comment
          There is no law that it has to be a .22LR at 12 years of age.

• Theirishweaver
          Theirishweaver commented
          Editing a comment
          @Range Time: persons between the ages of 12 and 15 may use and possess firearms (not including assault weapons) at a shooting range if under the "immediate supervision, guidance and instruction" of a military officer, certified instructor, parent, guardian, or otherwise qualified person as provided by statute. Sections 265.20(a)(7) and 265.20(a)(16). The ranges only allow youths to shoot .22cal or air guns.

• Range Time
          Range Time commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like any kid who wants to shoot a non-.22 rifle needs to go to Calverton.

Freeport and Freeport Juniors

Comment

Unless I am mistaken, here in NY she can't touch a Glock or any other handgun. Can she? Can a minor use a parents handgun with supervision at a range?
          "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
          Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
          Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

• DKSDAD
            DKSDAD commented
            Editing a comment
            Not sure about in NY but we were in North Carolina when she did. I know that nobody other than the registered handgun owner can handle that handgun. If I have my handgun with me my friend who is also licensed can't shoot my gun. This is for Mitchell Field, not sure about anywhere else.

• Range Time
            Range Time commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank God freedom still exists in North Carolina and some other states. If a kid can handle a .45, the kid should be able to shoot it legally.

Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post
          Unless I am mistaken, here in NY she can't touch a Glock or any other handgun. Can she? Can a minor use a parents handgun with supervision at a range?
          No, at age 12, she cannot touch a handgun in NY. From age 14-20, they can under very specific circumstances.
          At 21, they'd need their own handgun license.

Comment

^^^ That

Comment

also forgot Mitchell field requires you bring your kids birth certificate (original) and they can keep a copy on file for if you go more than once....

Comment

does your wife shoot ??? if not , we instruct a class at mitchell field , called woman on target . it is a basic course and based on safety .. there is one on the 26th but i believe it is booked up .
                if your interested pm me and we can discuss .
                also depending on where you live look into freeport range . they have a real good kid / junior program

Comment

• DKSDAD
                  DKSDAD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My wife and other daughter (15) have no interest. Right now at home it is myself, my oldest son (22) the 12 year old and my 19 year old is in the USMC. I live in Wantagh.
                  Last edited by DKSDAD; 09-08-2021, 10:47 PM. Reason: Correct spelling

Originally posted by TenInchFryingPan View Post

No, at age 12, she cannot touch a handgun in NY. From age 14-20, they can under very specific circumstances.
                At 21, they'd need their own handgun license.
                Absolutely correct. When I was young I would shoot dads pistols at the Huntington range. Of course he was by my side.

Comment

• M-14BULLETTS
                  M-14BULLETTS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  but that was when dinosaurs roamed the earth and cake was not invented

• Finicky Fat Guy
                  Finicky Fat Guy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't be ridiculous. Cake was never "invented". Cake was given to us directly from the hand of God.
              Working...
              X