Announcement

Collapse

St Mary’s Children’s Hospital Fund Raiser

Don’t miss out! ——> Link
See more
See less

Town of Islip range doesn't suck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Town of Islip range doesn't suck

    I have not been to the Islip town range in many years, but yesterday my neighbor suggested we go have a look.
    It's nice. Clean, tidy and well run with enough RO's to cover all points, and then some.
    It's no Huntington range, but I can see some influences there.
    Whipped my senior citizen card on them and got the blue plate special $6.00 rate. Woo hoo!
    50 yard max, which was plenty for me to try out the Ruger Scout Paul hypnotized me into buying.
    I'd go back.

    #2
    It definitely doesn't suck, but it's expensive for out-of-towners. I prefer Calverton, but if the prices were lower, I might go here on occasion.
    I will be celebrating on Jan. 20th regardless of Nov 8th.

    Comment


      #3
      I don't feel safe there. Houses on the left. Streets to the right and downrange. Too many things can go wrong. They should have closed Islip and left Huntington open.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by spider View Post
        I don't feel safe there. Houses on the left. Streets to the right and downrange. Too many things can go wrong. They should have closed Islip and left Huntington open.
        What are you afraid of?

        Drive by shooters in the street or people shooting from their houses?😉

        Comment


          #5
          Somebody's gonna hit something.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Shotgun View Post

            What are you afraid of?

            Drive by shooters in the street or people shooting from their houses?😉
            I love how they make you carry your rifle straight up.

            Comment


              #7
              Huntington was a awesome range but Islip is not that bad. Being a resident helps but they still cater to Law enforcement and that's bullshit. It's a town range and they need to realize it's hi time to cater to its residents.
              A .45acp says go away in any language ~ Clint Smith

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by spider View Post
                Somebody's gonna hit something.
                Its been there forever.Only thing hit is the berm.Dont like it dont go but dont wish it closed.If you feel you cant trust your shooting skills to avoid hitting homes and such please do us all a favor and take up knitting.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by artburg View Post

                  Its been there forever.Only thing hit is the berm.Dont like it dont go but dont wish it closed.If you feel you cant trust your shooting skills to avoid hitting homes and such please do us all a favor and take up knitting.
                  Knit one, pearl two. I just found it amusing that they were adamant about holding the rifle uncased and vertical while walking to the line and then casually said, "Yeah, and don't shoot those houses on your left or the cars on your right."

                  I would never try to shut a range down.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I stopped by there a couple Saturdays ago and finally found the place open. I didn't shoot but the place seems nice and it's convenient. Not many hours of operation, though. The attendant (Vanessa?) was friendly and helpful. I like the senior discount.

                    And anything that clears the berm goes over the Parkway into Brentwood, ... so ...
                    Last edited by BLAMMO!!; 12-10-2017, 10:20 PM.
                    No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

                    Regards,
                    Chris

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post
                      I stopped by there a couple Saturdays ago and finally found the place open. I didn't shoot but the place seems nice and it's convenient. Not many hours of operation, though. The attendant (Vanessa?) was friendly and helpful. I like the senior discount.

                      And anything that clears the berm goes over the Parkway into Brentwood, ... so ...
                      Yeah, but Brentwood will just shoot back.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        There are more improvements coming to that range. Angie showed me some of the stuff, but I was running out the door so I didn't get too many details
                        Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I had previously heard that they allowed the use of shotgun shot for patterning, so I asked about that. The RO said no, slugs only.
                          No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

                          Regards,
                          Chris

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post
                            I had previously heard that they allowed the use of shotgun shot for patterning, so I asked about that. The RO said no, slugs only.
                            If you're not shooting 3.5" magnum slugs from a stockless shotgun with an 18" barrel, are you even shotgunning?
                            A sunny day
                            A shotgun and a Chevrolet
                            Wouldn't you like that?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by viper720 View Post

                              If you're not shooting 3.5" magnum slugs from a stockless shotgun with an 18" barrel, are you even shotgunning?
                              Huh?
                              No one ever wished they didn't have a gun.

                              Regards,
                              Chris

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X