Which range allows kids to shoot 22LR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which range allows kids to shoot 22LR

I’m looking to take my 9 year old son to a range to introduce him to shooting. Can you please let me know what ranges allow a parent to supervise and instruct their children . The most convenient place for me would be south shore shooting range in Islip. Everyone’s input is appreciated.

I see little kids shooting 5.56 with their parents at calverton all the time.

Comment

Town if Islip outdoor range

Comment

http://freeportjuniorclub.org/
        NRA, NYSRPA, SAF member, Freeport R&R.

Comment

Not Brookhaven that’s for sure

Comment

The best choice would be the 22/pistol line at calverton. The Juniors at Freeport would also be a nice place to start but I’m not sure if they start with 22s . A friends young kid is in it and I believe they start with air rifle at that age but I could be wrong. In any case he will learn gun safety and proper shooting techniques

Comment

Freeport Juniors all the way. Can not recommend them enough.
              Worth the ride pop.
              Hands on RO's and just the best folks helping out.
              Heck, we (LIG) support them with ammo drives once a year.

Comment

+100 for Freeport juniors.

Comment

i believe it is twelve years in new yorkistan to shoot powder charged ammo

Comment

Originally posted by M-14BULLETTS View Post
                    They raised it to 16....12-15 are allowed to shoot at a range with direct supervision
                    The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule ...Samuel Adams, "The Rights of the Colonists" page 419

Comment

Originally posted by M-14BULLETTS View Post
                      I believe the rules for Women on Target is 12 years and the range we use is the same ( I believe the youngest I taught there was 14 years ? )

Scouting is the same ( I believe ? ) Sling shots & BB rifles till 12 ?

At a shotgun merit badge shoot we did a few years ago -- this 12 year old -- all of 90 lbs. did fine with a 20 Gauge -- instructor look familiar - LOL

Last edited by Ricekila; 10-06-2019, 05:23 PM.
                      NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Comment

Originally posted by Lonewolf View Post
                        Town if Islip outdoor range
                        Yes! Confirmed. My son turned 12 in August and they let him shoot 22LR. They didn't even charge me for him. A great and safe range. (50 yds max) Too bad they have such limited hours.
                        Lieutenant: You got a pistol permit?
                        Nick Charles: No.
                        Lieutenant: Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?
                        Nora Charles: Oh, that's all right, we're married.
                        -The Thin Man - 1934

Comment

Originally posted by pilot_pete View Post

Yes! Confirmed. My son turned 12 in August and they let him shoot 22LR. They didn't even charge me for him. A great and safe range. (50 yds max) Too bad they have such limited hours.
                          What --- one hour a year ?

I've never seen the place open --
                          NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Comment

Originally posted by Ricekila View Post

What --- one hour a year ?

I've never seen the place open --
                            Summertime has the most hours. Right now Sat and Sun till December then Sat only.

https://islipny.gov/departments/park...-archery-range
                            Lieutenant: You got a pistol permit?
                            Nick Charles: No.
                            Lieutenant: Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?
                            Nora Charles: Oh, that's all right, we're married.
                            -The Thin Man - 1934

Comment

Working...
                            X