Calverton 5/8 Friday Best time to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calverton 5/8 Friday Best time to go?

Going to Calverton tomorrow. Not sure when it will be best.
    Go early like 0800 before they open or wait until 1200.

Want to throw some clays. Maybe shoot some pistols

Thoughts when it will be best?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Afternoon.

If you need someone to throw those clays, let me know.

Comment

Whenever I go to Calverton, anybody I go with wants to be there first thing in the morning, before they open. Have to wait on the inevitable line, usually get a bench. By the time we leave in 2-3 hours, the place is half empty.

With every other bench taped off, and them being the only game in town right now, might be a different story. I would go early afternoon.

Never shot clays there, so I can’t help you with that.
      Steve

Comment

11:30-12:30ish is the sweet spot to arrive for pistols in my opinion. By 1 the line was basically totally clear on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post
          Afternoon.

If you need someone to throw those clays, let me know.
          We're going. Haven't decided exactly when yet. I'm leaning towards 1130
          Want to join us?
          "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I might go too. I'm new. Been to Calverton only once. I need help zeroing my rifle and would be interested in shooting some clays, too. Come to think of it, when I went there, I only went to rifle area. I did see the pistol section but have no idea where to throw clays. So yeah, I'm new.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

We're going. Haven't decided exactly when yet. I'm leaning towards 1130
              Want to join us?
              Absolutely, but I have a meeting from 12:30 until 1:30, which means I wouldn't get there until 2:30. Let me know the next time you go.

If you are using hand throwers and want to borrow my Trius mechanical thrower, I can drop it off at your place tomorrow morning.

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
                Whenever I go to Calverton, anybody I go with wants to be there first thing in the morning, before they open. Have to wait on the inevitable line, usually get a bench. By the time we leave in 2-3 hours, the place is half empty.

With every other bench taped off, and them being the only game in town right now, might be a different story. I would go early afternoon.

Never shot clays there, so I can’t help you with that.
                I never understood why so many people like to shoot in the early morning. Maybe hunters are used to getting up early? Maybe they like to have the afternoon free with family?

Comment

Originally posted by russtic View Post
                  I might go too. I'm new. Been to Calverton only once. I need help zeroing my rifle and would be interested in shooting some clays, too. Come to think of it, when I went there, I only went to rifle area. I did see the pistol section but have no idea where to throw clays. So yeah, I'm new.
                  Sound like you should definitely go, but be aware you will be changed 25 for "trap" shotgun AND $20 for rifle/pistol/(slug)shotgun.

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post

I never understood why so many people like to shoot in the early morning. Maybe hunters are used to getting up early? Maybe they like to have the afternoon free with family?
                    I like the morning because there’s usually less wind. I like precision shooting at 100 yards depending on the rifle I’m using and won’t even go if winds are over 10 -15 mph . At calverton I’m usually just throwing lead , if I want to get serious and take notes of where every reload hits Brookhaven it is

Comment

Well, it’s supposed to start raining about three. Since it’s a 40 minute drive each way for me it doesn’t make sense to go too late and just shoot for an hour or two. I plan to go tomorrow but I don’t know what time I’ll be there but I’ll be on the rifle side, also trying to sight in a rifle or two.
                      "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                      Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                      Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post

I like the morning because there’s usually less wind. I like precision shooting at 100 yards depending on the rifle I’m using and won’t even go if winds are over 10 -15 mph . At calverton I’m usually just throwing lead , if I want to get serious and take notes of where every reload hits Brookhaven it is
                        That's an excellent reason to go early! There is usually more wind in the afternoon.

I guess I should start shooting clays in the morning, but then I wouldn't have an excuse for breaking only half of them.

Comment

Please keep us posted on the crowd size/time on line to get in (if any). This month I'm thinking about taking a PTO day on a Monday or Friday and heading out there.
                          Lieutenant: You got a pistol permit?
                          Nick Charles: No.
                          Lieutenant: Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?
                          Nora Charles: Oh, that's all right, we're married.
                          -The Thin Man - 1934

Comment

Originally posted by pilot_pete View Post
                            Please keep us posted on the crowd size/time on line to get in (if any). This month I'm thinking about taking a PTO day on a Monday or Friday and heading out there.
                            We decided to cxl due to weather

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post

We decided to cxl due to weather
                              I thought Marines were amphibious.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X