Suffolk Archers - Anyone a member?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suffolk Archers - Anyone a member?

Anyone a member at Suffolk Archers? I'm local and my lil one is getting into archery. I need another hobby with expensive toys like I need a hole in the head, but I would love to get into it and I know my wife would enjoy it as well making it something for the entire family, relatively cheap for the year, close by so we can go literally for a half hour and it's worthwhile.

Anyone a member? Are they taking new members? All the standard questions apply.
    The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

I am a member.
    A great place at any price, and it is relatively cheap.

A little too much drama and bitching from time to time.

https://suffolkarchers.com/contact/
    Rich B. handles new membership applications.
    Get on the waiting list if you are interested.
    It may take year or two to get in.
    ANY violation by ANY person of ANY provision of this section is a class A misdemeanor. - NYPL §400.00(15)
    Conspiracy in the sixth degree is a class B misdemeanor. - NYPL §105.00

Comment

Originally posted by incognito View Post
      I am a member.
      A great place at any price, and it is relatively cheap.

A little too much drama and bitching from time to time.

https://suffolkarchers.com/contact/
      Rich B. handles new membership applications.
      Get on the waiting list if you are interested.
      It may take year or two to get in.
      Can I join waiting list without a sponsor yet?
      The escape is nowhere near complete. The inventor of LIBERAL fishing. (soon to be seen on ESPN 45 because the 44th never worked.)

Comment

You need a sponsor who is willing to stand up for you - someone who knows you, a character reference.
        ANY violation by ANY person of ANY provision of this section is a class A misdemeanor. - NYPL §400.00(15)

Comment

Thanks Incognito! Greatly appreciate the info.

Comment

What does one do if he is a newbie just starting who knows no one into archery and wants learn? Only shooting has been upstate fun shooting.
            Last edited by Airbrush art; 10-16-2020, 02:42 PM.
            stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

Originally posted by Airbrush art View Post
              What does one do if he is a newbie just starting who knows no one into archery and wants learn? Only shooting has been upstate fun shooting.
              That's basically where I'm at now. I have bow hunting permit, but haven't met anyone into it enough to show me the ropes. I took my daughter for a lesson at Smithpoint In Patchogue along with another members daughter and they loved it. We're both local and I would imagine the other member here would probably join as well.

Comment

I used to go to C&B in Hicksville, but they are gone. I can go to Yonkers and shoot up that way, but would rather stay down state.
                stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

I used to go to C&B in Hicksville, but they are gone. I can go to Yonkers and shoot up that way, but would rather stay down state.
                  I miss C&B!!! I know that Ralphie had the nicest words to say about Al at Queens/Apple Archery in Queens. I didn’t agree with him.

Comment

Smith Point Archery in Patchogue is pretty good. Before you buy there (and thereby get your member character reference) make sure they can do it for you.

You can also join the archery club that meets at Cedar Creek County Park, get involved and meet members of Suffolk Archers who could sponsor you. Just hanging out there would not be productive.

You can arrange for a visit to Suffolk Archers with the membership chair. It is very nice. Cheap if you go all the time, expensive for 5-6 visits a season. If I recall correctly they have a broadhead range but no crossbows are allowed.

The only place on LI I know where anything goes is Calverton, where you shoot downhill into a pit for $20 per person. No extra charge for the rich odor of the mulch mountain behind the pit.

If you have permission on private property and are 250 ft from the neighboring residences, I believe you can shoot anything, based on a recent court decision.

You should take a lesson or two.

I find practicing a few times a week in my back yard at 10 yds and a few days a month at Cedar Creek at 30 yds keeps me ready.

Comment

Originally posted by cprstn54 View Post

You should take a lesson or two.
                      Any idea where to take some lessons? I saw smith point has a guy but it seems a little expensive for a newbie. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post

That's basically where I'm at now. I have bow hunting permit, but haven't met anyone into it enough to show me the ropes. I took my daughter for a lesson at Smithpoint In Patchogue along with another members daughter and they loved it. We're both local and I would imagine the other member here would probably join as well.
                        i have taken many deer with my bow , it all depends on how you want to hunt.
                        do you hunt with a firearm now ???
                        do you have access to land or do you want to use DEC land in suffolk ???
                        if i was not so banged up now, i would take you out to teach ....

Comment

Look at Queens Archery in Flushing. 39th Ave, just off of Utopia Pkwy. They offer instruction, loaners, sales, service. Used to be owned/run by an Olympic archer and his wife. I'm not sure if he's still affiliated.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPaul13 View Post

Any idea where to take some lessons? I saw smith point has a guy but it seems a little expensive for a newbie. Thanks.
                            Smith Point has group lessons that are inexpensive. Private lessons are not so bad for two or more. No matter how much time you spend reading and shooting I guaranty you will learn some key stuff that is important. Might be your grip, your elbow position, your stance or why the bows kit you bought or arrows selected are just plain wrong for you. Also, lessons include using the indoor range, which, BTW, is way better than CB Archery used to be as regards not damaging arrows when you shoot wild.

Comment

Here is a link to some archery shops for lessons.

https://suffolkarchers.com/archery-shop-listings/

Comment

Working...
                              X