Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An AK74 in .224 Valkyrie Exists and can Touch 800 Yards

04/9/19 9:00 AM | by Chris Eger

For the past two years, everyone has been jumping on the boat that is the bottlenecked .224 Valkyrie long range cartridge, and now there may be an AK74 that can handle it as well. Brandon Herrera, the AK Guy, has been quietly working on the project for a while and debuted the prototype, built from a Bulgarian kit with a custom barrel, last week.
    A Type 07 FFL in Fayetteville, North Carolina, Herrera has been best known in the past for his AK-50 project, to develop a .50-caliber Kalash, but it seems the AK-224 as he calls it, will beat that gun to the market. He intends to make at least a limited run of the guns, hand built on heavily modified AK-74 parts kits with a purpose-built .224 Valkyrie AK barrel. The neat thing is that the round feeds from a standard AK 5.45mm mag, although he notes they should be limited to 10 rounds to ensure proper feeding.
    Below is a longer video and an in-depth breakdown of the AK-224, which Herrera wants to ultimately turn into a 1,000-yard capable AK. The prototype was able to go 800– and that is with a penny shimmed under the dust cover.

All up price on the guns, for which he is taking deposits, is expected to be in the sub-$2K neighborhood “depending on options and production demands.”
    As a background of the Valkyrie, the round was introduced by Federal in 2017 as a way to stretch AR platforms past the 500-yard wall and has since been picked up since then by numerous rifle and cartridge makers. Guns.com’s Ben Brown recently stacked it up against the 6.5 Grendel, which it is most often compared to.

I've been seeing lots of AR uppers in .224 Valkyrie for sale, don't know anything about the cartridge.

.224 V/.223 Rem

EDIT: At first I thought the music in the video was a bit much - then I realized, "Ride Of The Valkyries" by Wagner.......got it. I'm sometimes slow on the uptake.
    Last edited by Dan 0351; 04-11-2019, 09:47 AM.
    No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

So they finally invented an AK that can actually hit the side of a barn?
      "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post
        Hahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Aquabach View Post
          You can give them .408 CheyTec's and they still won't hit the side of a barn with it. A bunch of conscripts running and shooting at the hip, more afraid of being shot by their own officers will not get them on paper!

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
            I've been seeing lots of AR uppers in .224 Valkyrie for sale, don't know anything about the cartridge.

.224 V/.223 Rem

I'm slow. Widows taste good
            FIFY

Comment

Originally posted by Russian View Post

FIFY
              Who ever said I was talking about you? (I was, but you didn't know that)

- U.S. Marines

Comment

Seems like a big waste of money.... why would you use a cartridge that is designed for ELR on a platform that is not suitable accuracy. An ar to platform can take a 224 valk out to 1550 yards...bolt guns have had hits out to 2112 yards

Comment

Originally posted by Bigrob View Post
                  Seems like a big waste of money.... why would you use a cartridge that is designed for ELR on a platform that is not suitable accuracy. An ar to platform can take a 224 valk out to 1550 yards...bolt guns have had hits out to 2112 yards
                  Why? You want to know why?
                  Anything to try to make an AK possibly hit a target that it's aimed at. That's why.
                  "Get a Dog. Cause Cats Are For Bitches!"

Comment

I do not think it is any practical application rifle. Just proof of concept and conversation starter

Comment

Originally posted by Bigrob View Post
                      Why you ask, because people are bored and have too much time on their hands to waste on non-sense. Now if someone can take the original AK design and make itshoot sub moa now that’s amazing!!
                      A .45acp says go away in any language ~ Clint Smith

Comment

It is only in theory sub moa battle rifle is a great idea, in reality it is technically impossible to make one. You can either have sub moa gun or battle rifle. Some day it will happen, I'm sure but not now.

P.S. I'm not counting sub moa guns that looks like battle rifle but would never survive any real action.

Comment

Funny you say that, my Garand can! Would you not consider that a battle rifle?
                          A .45acp says go away in any language ~ Clint Smith

Comment

Originally posted by ANYGUNWILLDOIFUWILLDO View Post
                            Funny you say that, my Garand can! Would you not consider that a battle rifle?
                            Absolutely is! But I would categorized it as formal battle rifle. I do not thing Garand would fit in modern battle rifle category.

Comment

Working...
                            X