No announcement yet.

Saiga 7.62 - sell or keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst case scenario; the Dims take over your state after Trump's replacement leaves office and incrementalism renders that configuration of Saiga required again.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer21 View Post
      FWIW, in todays current AK market, KVARs Bulgarian AKs (when available) have set a very high standard of fit, finish etc along with reliability and compatibility with a vast majority of small AK parts. Unlike 5.56ARs, there are a lot of minor but significant differences from the various later Com bloc /Warsaw pact AKs in 7.62 & 5.45 in terms of small parts being interchangeable! Luckily steel magazines from all over seem to work in a vast majority of AKs no matter who the original country that the gun or mag is from. If your definitely looking to get a Russian made AK, while Saigas have gone up in price and down in availability, Molot made AKs in a lot of cals and configurations with a better overall craftsmanship IMHO are available.
      Yes, absolutely.

I have a Saiga SGL 31-68 (fixed stock) and a Romanian Arsenal SLR-104UR (Krink copy, tri-folder). Some say the Saiga is as close to real-deal Russian army AK74's as it gets. But if you dig further, many others say that the Arsenal 104 FR series is even closer (wish I had one of those also). Here's some chatter about it from the AK Files:

https://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183254

I have several Arsenals and I personally can't tell any difference between them and the Saiga, but I'm sure others might be able to.
      "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

I don’t recall where or which specialty “gun rags” I read it in but IIRC Kalashnikov after visiting the Bulgy plants thought the Bulgarian AK plant was organized, managed & manufactured the AK better than Russian plants. Trivial at the time but might be significantl when one is looking to buy an AK.

Comment

Personally, I bought the Saiga instead of the 104 FR when I had a choice because I'd rather have one from the actual Motherland than Bulgaria.

Comment

Keep it.
            NRA Lifetime Member / NRA RSO & Certified Pistol Instructor
            NYSRPA Member / Freeport R&R Member
            Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Member

Comment

It's worthless.

Sell it.

To me.

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

Originally posted by cpl_eyeball View Post
                Now that I have moved to a free State, I can't decide if I should keep or sell my Saiga. Checking the internet, I see that the prices have skyrocketed - why is that?
                Just an update; I've been watching this one to gauge the potential value of mine:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/852923009

As of this posting, with 11 hours left, it's at $2,760.
                Buy Genuine RUSSIAN made AK-74 Rifle SGL31 5.45x39: GunBroker is the largest seller of Semi Auto Rifles Rifles Guns & Firearms All

Comment

This one is NY legal and may be a better guide for us peons

Buy New Saiga Russian IZHMASH AK47 7.62x39 Rifle: GunBroker is the largest seller of Semi Auto Rifles Rifles Guns & Firearms All
                  Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Ill buy it

Comment

Originally posted by cpl_eyeball View Post
                      Now that I have moved to a free State, I can't decide if I should keep or sell my Saiga. Checking the internet, I see that the prices have skyrocketed - why is that?
                      Daaay-um. This Saiga just sold for $3,350!

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/852923009

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

Daaay-um. This Saiga just sold for $3,350!

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/852923009
                        The one I posted the link for sold for $899.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853390766
                        Buy New Saiga Russian IZHMASH AK47 7.62x39 Rifle: GunBroker is the largest seller of Semi Auto Rifles Rifles Guns & Firearms All

Comment

Hmmm. Glad I picked up the NY Arsenal back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

The one I posted the link for sold for $899.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853390766
                            Yeah, he could sell his to help buy a "real" one (Can't I buy a "real" AK for the price I can sell the Saiga? What is considered to be a good AK?).

I was showing what 'real' ones go for - well, as close to real without refinancing your home and doing ATF paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

Yeah, he could sell his to help buy a "real" one (Can't I buy a "real" AK for the price I can sell the Saiga? What is considered to be a good AK?).

I was showing what 'real' ones go for - well, as close to real without refinancing your home and doing ATF paperwork.
                              If OP is in a free state he could buy the parts and make the conversion including moving the trigger group.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

If OP is in a free state he could buy the parts and make the conversion including moving the trigger group.
                                He 'could'. Lots of work and lots of sourcing the correct parts - and it will always be a converted gun........he said 'real'.

Comment

Working...
                                X