X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magpul SGA stock Saiga Sporter Rifle - final - pics

magpulSGA_saiga_1.jpg

PARTS/TOOLS:

5/16 inch x 2" long socket head cap screw (allen)

5/16" drill tap bit

Magpul SGA stock (Mossberg version)

rubber mallet

-----

Notes on install:

-tap/drill a 5/16 thread through entire stock adapter, attach with 2" long socket head cap screw (allen bolt)

-modifications - cut receiver tang to fit stock inlet

-optional drill and set top screw, bottom receiver screw

-optional shim for very snug fit with electric tape or other plastic shims, rubber mallet into reveiver, then set screws

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is from the other magpul saiga thread where we printed an SGA stock adapter from a file made by a calguns member years ago. ATI had the patent for all adapters but it expired last year.

old thread: https://www.longislandgunclub.com/fo...e-project-pics

Special thanks to Eagle13 for doing the 3d print work and getting some prototype adapters to me.

I'm going to lay out the basics and field questions, as to not bog it down. I did it on my 5.45x39mm Saiga Sporter (AK74 compatible magazines)

Basically the adapter screw onto the Magpul SGA mossberg stock. Mossberg uses a 5/16 thread but the screw that comes with the stock is too short, you need a 2" cap screw and tap it all the way through the adapter.
    magpulSGA_saiga_4.jpg

Then you need to fit it into the receiver. The factory "sharksfin" sporter stocks are normally super snug (I've always had to mallet them out to do paint jobs).

First you need to cut the tang for it to fit. A simple hacksaw and grind and refinish works fine.
    magpul_SGA_2.jpg
    magpulSGA_saiga_5.jpg

Once the tang is cut you can fit it into the trunnion, it is a lot looser than the factory stocks. I "shimmed" it using electric tape, malleted it in then you can set the bottom screw if you need to (I actually run my regular saiga sporters with NO screws because the stocks fit so tight). You can drill and tap the top, that's up to you, but you only have so much distance as the cap screw is right there underneath. You can see the cut tang bit underneath the loose SGA stock in the picture below.
    magpulSGA_saiga_2.jpg

magpul_saiga_5.jpg

magpul_saiga_8.jpg

magpul_saiga_9.jpg

magpul_saiga_10.jpg

magpulSGA_saiga_3.jpg

Magpul Zhukov fore-end, Magpul AK74 10/30 magazine (calmags.com), SGA stock with adapter....

Note: if the 3d file were to be modded, I would recommend a tighter tolerance for fitment into the trunnion (thicker) and maybe the stabilizing tab that you see on the factory and some aftermarket saiga stocks.
    Last edited by Destro; 10-02-2020, 06:46 PM.

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Comment

Came out so well. Did you end up casting the adapter? Or are those the ones I printed?

Comment

It looks great! Iโ€™d love to do that to mine!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle13 View Post
          Came out so well. Did you end up casting the adapter? Or are those the ones I printed?
          I used the solid plastic one you printed. I think making one out of ABS would be just fine. If I have the time I could do a practice cast with a silicone mold and make one out of epoxy but that might be overkill.

Comment

Right on, I got super busy with work, but I do have a brand new roll of ABS.
            How much thicker do you think the piece should be for a tighter fit?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle13 View Post
              Right on, I got super busy with work, but I do have a brand new roll of ABS.
              How much thicker do you think the piece should be for a tighter fit?
              Good question, donโ€™t have calipers laying around, but I would say roughly the thickness of electric tape would be ideal, it goes in snug with one layer of tape but that is a pliable material, however all the plastic factory stocks Iโ€™ve put back in after painting had to get rubber malleted in and one was so tight in from the factory that I spent like 15 minutes hammering it out.

Comment

Thanks, this should be enough to go on.

Ive got calipers and like to solve problems. Just need to find some time.

Comment

Working...
                X