AK Reciever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AK Reciever

Are they legal to posses in NYS, would an FFL even do a transfer? Haven't seen any info on this, curious to know if they are treated any different then AR lowers.

I'm not 100% sure but I think receiver should go through FFL. Call any FFL and ask.

Comment

Thanks I figured I'd ask to see if anyone had done it. Not in the market for one, plus don't have the skills or tools to actually put one together, but one can dream. Was browsing the web and came across some receivers, and it got me thinking, how are they treated in NYS , searched the Web but could not find anything regarding AK, only AR. I ask an FFL, next time I stop by one locally.

Comment

Should have no problem owning/transferring one. Like stated above, I’d reach out to the intended FFL to make sure

Comment

Who sells or stocks AK receivers? How hard are they to build?
          stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

Originally posted by Airbrush art View Post
            disturbed0013 can tell us more in details but AK building requires some machinery, Drill, Press and welding and builder's jigs are needed too.

Comment

NRA, NYSRPA, SAF member, Freeport R&R.

Comment

Atlantic and Childersguns. They have complete receivers, but complete receiver for an AK is a lot of different then an AR. From what I have seen, a complete AK receiver, means that they have the bottom rails spot welded, the receiver is heat-treated and all holes are drilled. They seems not that hard to build as long as you have the proper tools/ jigs and a 12 ton press.

Comment

A lot of places that deal with AK receivers and kits will NOT ship to NY state, so check with the seller first. Centerfire Systems, many of the parts kits places online won't ship to NY. Also check with the FFL since some don't want to touch it, just like some won't transfer an "other" with a brace. It's the NY CYA policy by most online places.

I remember in the pre-SAFE days when we had Ak builds on the Canadian forum, even had "build parties" in person. Good times. There was a cranky Russian bastard (BrooklynC) that really did some nice work.
                  But even back then, places like CheaperthanDirt would not even ship a $7 plastic AK pistol grip to NY though it was perfectly legal.

Comment

I’ve seen them at Long Island Gun Source before. I’ve gotten a few FAL receivers and they have had AK receivers also.

Comment

Perfectly legal, as mentioned inquire with ffl first to confirm they'll handle it. 100% options are nodakspuk, childers, recreator, if you go 80%, childers is the way to go, I've built more than a couple of theirs and think they may even spot weld the lower rails in now, which leaves the remaining operations to get to 100% of trimming the upper rails, trimming the ejector, drilling the fcg holes, drilling front and rear trunnion rivet holes, drilling trigger guard rivet holes, and drilling and pressing center support.

From there, much more tooling involved than an ar build, but some of it can be built yourself to keep costs down, and there are lower priced but completely functional options for all tooling you'd need. If the rails aren't spot welded you'll need a spot welded and modified tong, trunnion rivets need to be pressed using a shop press and jig (most expensive but best/consistent results), bolt cutter with jaws for short rivets and long rivet/center support jig (less expensive but more room for error), and jig for trigger guard rivets, or any combination of makeshift press/jigs etc. I am still using the mini press i built for my first rivet build, consists of a 20 ton bottle jack sandwiched between steel plates by all thread. For pressing the barrel and components on and off you will need headspace gauges, shop press and plates, or all thread type removal/assembly tool.

Toth tool makes and sells barrel tool, rivet jigs, bolt cutter jaws, good quality and reputation. (I use their barrel tool, personally find headspacing much easier than with a shop press).

I'm not as active posting here as i used to be but I'm always lurking and don't mind answering any questions, feel free if you need.
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by mattyj513 View Post
                        Perfectly legal, as mentioned inquire with ffl first to confirm they'll handle it. 100% options are nodakspuk, childers, recreator, if you go 80%, childers is the way to go, I've built more than a couple of theirs and think they may even spot weld the lower rails in now, which leaves the remaining operations to get to 100% of trimming the upper rails, trimming the ejector, drilling the fcg holes, drilling front and rear trunnion rivet holes, drilling trigger guard rivet holes, and drilling and pressing center support.

From there, much more tooling involved than an ar build, but some of it can be built yourself to keep costs down, and there are lower priced but completely functional options for all tooling you'd need. If the rails aren't spot welded you'll need a spot welded and modified tong, trunnion rivets need to be pressed using a shop press and jig (most expensive but best/consistent results), bolt cutter with jaws for short rivets and long rivet/center support jig (less expensive but more room for error), and jig for trigger guard rivets, or any combination of makeshift press/jigs etc. I am still using the mini press i built for my first rivet build, consists of a 20 ton bottle jack sandwiched between steel plates by all thread. For pressing the barrel and components on and off you will need headspace gauges, shop press and plates, or all thread type removal/assembly tool.

Toth tool makes and sells barrel tool, rivet jigs, bolt cutter jaws, good quality and reputation. (I use their barrel tool, personally find headspacing much easier than with a shop press).

I'm not as active posting here as i used to be but I'm always lurking and don't mind answering any questions, feel free if you need.
                        You were the first person I thought of when I saw the thread title. Nice to have you back.
                        "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

You were the first person I thought of when I saw the thread title. Nice to have you back.
                          s3yjxioctape2urhinqo.gif ​​

Comment

I believe “MILk” was also another good AK builder from the other place.
                            III%

Comment

• mattyj513
                              mattyj513 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              M1lk and bklynC inspired me to get into building. +1 them
                          Working...
                          X