Converting a Mosin Nagant to .45-70

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, this is not something I would attempt. I know there are some Mosin fanboys out there so I thought I’d share.
    ** If Anyone does build one of these I’d like to be there when you fire it...I’ll bring the fire extinguisher.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-to-45-70/amp/

Steve Johnson
    7 years ago
    Two home gunsmiths, Chapaev and Voland, have been working on converting two Mosin Nagant rifles to use the .45-70 cartridge. Their almost completed rifles have a 3+1 capacity, 16.25″ barrels and fiber optic sights.

It was no easy task with a lot of modifications required. The pair extensively documented the process on their blog Pharmory.

I'm game.
    A sunny day
    A shotgun and a Chevrolet
    Wouldn't you like that?

Comment

I love the history of the 45-70 and would love a commercially produced bolt-action in that caliber.

Two past custom alternatives were a converted Enfield or a converted Mauser.

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/sport_speciality_.html
      Attached Files

Comment

I would say the best way to convert a Mosin to 45-70 is trade the Mosin for a rifle in 45-70. Done

Comment

I'd be hesitant to fire anything in .45-70 government out of a Mosin with a weight greater than 300gr. Certainly not a 500gr projecticle. As IBM used to say in their manuals: Results may be unpredictable.
          "No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -- New York State Surrogate Court Judge Gideon John Tucker, Final Accounting in the Estate of A.B._, 1, Tucker (N.Y. Surrogate Court) 247, 249 (1866)

Comment

Is this safe with the "modern" high power 45-70 loads or would it require the lower power loads?

Comment

Originally posted by Rrudo74901 View Post
              I would say the best way to convert a Mosin to 45-70 is trade the Mosin for a rifle in 45-70. Done
              I think the point is to have a bolt action in 45-70.
              I don't know of any factory 45-70 bolt actions that have been made since General Custer was showing off his best battle tactics.
              LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

Originally posted by LI Ammo View Post

I think the point is to have a bolt action in 45-70.
                I don't know of any factory 45-70 bolt actions that have been made since General Custer was showing off his best battle tactics.
                Trap-door?
                No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

off topic, but just watched movie Wind River where Jeremy Renner as a tracker with the Fish and Wildlife Service helps to investigate the murder of a young Native American woman and does some serious mayhem to the bad guys with a Marlin 1895SBL 45-70
                  A word to the wise ain't necessary, it is the stupid ones who need advice.

What doesn't kill you ... will circle around for a second attempt.

Comment

I have seen there are some Mosin .500 S&W conversions. Apparently the bolt doesn't need any significant modification.

Comment

Working...
                    X