M1 tune up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1 tune up

I know, Orion 7 is da shit. I’ve got a decent M1, nice wood and I believe all matching. SN puts it around 1941 born on.
    For a good top to bottom once over, new springs, check all the things I don’t have a clue about and make her the gem she deserves to be with a good rep for standing behind their work...what are the options? Any reason to not go with Orion?

Nothing wrong with Orion doing what you want. Although you could probably change all the springs yourself it isn't hard.

Orion has the gauges to make sure certain areas are still in spec.

If your op rod needs some work I recommend Columbus Machine Works. Had 2 refurbished into brand new op rods.

Comment

Originally posted by mossy930spx View Post
      Nothing wrong with Orion doing what you want. Although you could probably change all the springs yourself it isn't hard.

Orion has the gauges to make sure certain areas are still in spec.

If your op rod needs some work I recommend Columbus Machine Works. Had 2 refurbished into brand new op rods.
      Thanks. Those are the options I’m interested in. Springs I could do, head space and tolerances I’d be lost on. The pro’s are the pro’s for a reason.

Comment

Does the rifle function? Why do you think it needs work?
        Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
          Sounds like he wants a once over to confirm it's all in spec.

you can do most of that with a caliper. But the gas system needs a specific gauge that's a little pricey to buy.

https://www.ammogarand.com/m1-garand...-go--nog1.html
          Last edited by mossy930spx; 02-10-2019, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mossy930spx View Post

Sounds like he wants a once over to confirm it's all in spec.

you can do most of that with a caliper. But the gas system needs a specific gauge that's a little pricey to buy.

https://www.ammogarand.com/m1-garand...-go--nog1.html
            If it works, it works. Huntington Guy didn’t mention any problem. No reason to change out parts otherwise. It’s a mass produced battle rifle. Not a Formula 1 race car.
            There are aftermarket gas plugs if one is using non-spec ammo. But other than that.....?

Comment

Has not been fired in years. Last time I shot it there were a few FTE’s. I have doubt a good deep clean and lube along with a competent eye for a once over would make her right.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntington Guy View Post

Has not been fired in years. Last time I shot it there were a few FTE’s. I have doubt a good deep clean and lube along with a competent eye for a once over would make her right.
                Were you using G.I. clips?

Comment

Were you using G.I. clips?
                  Yessir

Comment

clean , lube , shoot ,,,,,repeat

Comment

As M-14BULLETTS said: Clean it, lube and take it out for a shoot. Failure to extract could have been the ammo or the gas plug. What ammo did you use the last time? Was the gas plug in nice and tight? Start with the basics before going to the armorer. Check the gas hole in the barrel too. Use bit of wire, poke it in the hole, to make sure it is not partially obstructed with gunk or a strand from a cleaning patch.
                      "No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -- New York State Surrogate Court Judge Gideon John Tucker, Final Accounting in the Estate of A.B._, 1, Tucker (N.Y. Surrogate Court) 247, 249 (1866)

Comment

Just don't shoot commercial hunting 30-06 ammo in it. Pressure needs to to be the equivalent of M2 ball ammo.

Comment

Not to go sideways, but does LRB do Garand work? Tony at Orion is the goods, but just throwing another option out there.
                          High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

Originally posted by Volkosupply View Post
                            Not to go sideways, but does LRB do Garand work? Tony at Orion is the goods, but just throwing another option out there.
                            not sure if Lou will do outside work now , but he does have the capacity

Comment

Just sell it

Comment

Working...
                              X