MY Son's Latest Acquisition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MY Son's Latest Acquisition

My son went to a small local gun show down in AR yesterday. He called me to ask what I thought about a gun he was interested in buying. I think maybe he already bought it and was having second thoughts and wanted to be sure he did well. Then again, maybe he really was just seeking the old man's advice before laying down his hard earned cash. Asked him some questions about and all seemed pretty good to me. Then I asked him to send a couple of pics, at least one of each side, so I could look it over. He sent one, this one:

BBBs Mosin Nagant M44.jpg

It has matching numbers, is dated 1944, is from the Izhevsk arsenal, supposedly no rust and or pitting on it, and wood has a hoopty finish and a few scratches but no gouges, chips or cracks. As you can see, it came with a sling & cartridge pouches, has the bayonet and cleaning rod too. Those were all things I asked him about before telling him the asking price seemed like an okay price but I told him to try to get it down in price. He got the seller to come down $25.00 (not mentioning the price, that is my son's business but it was less than I have seen any others for in quite the while).

Funny thing is that the picture is of the gun leaning against my son's car. So he bought before I got back to him about how it looked to me in the picture, which leaves me wondering did he buy it before we talked or after we first talked about but just before him buying it and taking the pic. Does not really matter but he swears he only made the deal after he talked to me. Regardless, I think he did just fine. Nice to see him following in my footsteps when it comes to enjoying guns & shooting and nice to see he appreciates guns much older than him.
    Retired and loving it.

Well, as it turns out, that M44 was his latest firearm acquisition but since then he has acquired another firearm related toy: a 100 round Norinco Drum Magazine by way of GunBroker. He has not actually received it yet but he had the high bid and I imagine he will have that new toy soon.

drum 1.jpg

drum 4.jpgdrum 2.jpg

drum 3.jpg

drum 5.jpg

Man, I am really looking forward to getting out of NY. Just based on the toys I'll be able to get for myself it would be worth the move but being able to hang out and shoot with my son will make all the better.

Last edited by Glenn B; 04-28-2019, 11:05 AM.
    Retired and loving it.

Comment

Whats the trigger pull ?

It can be vastly improved --
      NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Comment

Originally posted by Ricekila View Post
        Whats the trigger pull ?

It can be vastly improved --
        On the M44 - no cue but I am not one to mess with such things and hope Brendan would not either.
        Retired and loving it.

Comment

Improving the trigger is simpler than breathing -- I got 14 lb. mystery triggers down to a crisp 3.5 lbs in under an hour - and had lunch --
          NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

Comment

Improving the trigger is simpler than breathing -- I got 14 lb. mystery triggers down to a crisp 3.5 lbs in under an hour - and had lunch --
            If anyone knows about it- This guy does
            Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

I do not normally mess with the internals of my guns beyond factory settings unless made to be adjustable such as with an adjustable trigger - otherwise factory spec is good for me. If something is broken, I'll maybe attempt to fix it. As for my son, he may be more adventurous; I'll find out when I get down to AR if he thinks it needs improvement. I do not recall though that any of the three Mosin Nagants, that we already owned prior to his latest, ever had a trigger pull that seemed to require anywhere near 14 lbs of trigger pull once cleaned of the gunk they often come with (then again I never measured it). If this one does then maybe we will do something about it.

I hesitate to change things internally because I know too many folks who went in to work on their guns and then screwed them up requiring major repairs, parts replacement and such. I do not want to be one of them again - twice was enough for me to learn, once in the late 1970's (RG26 - guy at the store I bought it from exchanged it after I twisted the hell out of the recoil spring because I was ignorant) and once in 1980 (Colt Border Patrol revolver - who knew they required a Colt Armorer to take apart and put back together). Once I am properly trained to do something though, then I am comfortable enough to give things a try. Before that, I am hesitant to do what I have not been trained to do especially with something that already works as it was intended and then potentially being liable for any problems that changes I made to a firearm may cause down the road.

I do appreciate you letting me know it is a simple matter to improve the trigger pull, so if you have a YouTube video please post the link or if you have detailed written instructions please post here or PM to me and I'll forward to my son just in case if he wants to do it. Sounds like it may become a future project for him.
              Retired and loving it.

Comment

Great find. Mosul M44 are fun

i would not touch the trigger. The triggers are horibile to today’s standards. But It adds to its charm and shows how far the technology has come.

Comment

Same thought different reason --

All matching #'s -- its a piece of history -- no matter how many millions were made -- clean it up -- then dont touch it --

No matching #'s -- butcher it to your liking --

And anything that killed nazis -- should be loved --

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn B View Post

I do not normally mess with the internals of my guns beyond factory settings unless made to be adjustable such as with an adjustable trigger - otherwise factory spec is good for me. If something is broken, I'll maybe attempt to fix it. As for my son, he may be more adventurous; I'll find out when I get down to AR if he thinks it needs improvement. I do not recall though that any of the three Mosin Nagants, that we already owned prior to his latest, ever had a trigger pull that seemed to require anywhere near 14 lbs of trigger pull once cleaned of the gunk they often come with (then again I never measured it). If this one does then maybe we will do something about it.

I hesitate to change things internally because I know too many folks who went in to work on their guns and then screwed them up requiring major repairs, parts replacement and such. I do not want to be one of them again - twice was enough for me to learn, once in the late 1970's (RG26 - guy at the store I bought it from exchanged it after I twisted the hell out of the recoil spring because I was ignorant) and once in 1980 (Colt Border Patrol revolver - who knew they required a Colt Armorer to take apart and put back together). Once I am properly trained to do something though, then I am comfortable enough to give things a try. Before that, I am hesitant to do what I have not been trained to do especially with something that already works as it was intended and then potentially being liable for any problems that changes I made to a firearm may cause down the road.

I do appreciate you letting me know it is a simple matter to improve the trigger pull, so if you have a YouTube video please post the link or if you have detailed written instructions please post here or PM to me and I'll forward to my son just in case if he wants to do it. Sounds like it may become a future project for him.
                    If he DOES manage to learn to write, it'll be in crayon
                    Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Working...
                    X