Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibbs Jungle Carbine Photoshoot (pics +)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gibbs Jungle Carbine Photoshoot (pics +)

In the spirit of getting back to guns, I've been dabbling with my new DSLR camera and will start a "photoshoot" series. This will cover various classics, odd-balls, and custom builds from my collection, along with some related information like vintage ads, etc.

Gibbs Jungle Carbine or Extreme Quest Survival Carbine

This is a Gibbs Jungle Carbine or Extreme Quest Carbine in .303 British, which is a commercially sporterized version of the No. 5 Enfield Jungle Carbine by the Gibbs Rifle Co. out of West Virginia.

I'm calling it the "Jungle Carbine" since the original "Extreme Quest Survival Carbine" was re-chambered in .308, and it is harder to find these in the original .303 British. It has a beautiful hardwood sporterized stock and a brass butt plate with a compartment that originally included a "survival kit". The bayonet lug was removed and the metal has an electroless nickel finish.

click on picture for higher res, clear photograph

Weight - 7-3/4 lbs., Bbl Length - 20”, OAL - 40”, Cal - .303 British.
    gibbs_900_1.jpg

gibbs_900_2.jpg

gibbs_900_3.jpg

gibbs_900_4.jpg

gibbs_900_5.jpg

gibbs_900_6.jpg

In conclusion this is a great Enfield variant to add to any milsurp or hunting collection and a versatile field gun.
    gibbs_hanging.jpg

Gibbs also marketed the Extreme Quest in .308 and currently has a "pig buster" off the Springfield action in 30-06 that utilizes a jungle carbine cone muzzle brake.
    p002_1_00.jpg

home_0_02_01.jpg

JungleCarbine.jpg~original.jpg

Nice rifle! Great pics. Well done.

Comment

What rear sight is installed? Nicely done btw!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer21 View Post
        Looks like the first version M1 carbine flip sight.
        Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Thanks for the education,,,This is a great idea, love the odd ball guns and history , looking forward to next one....

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer21 View Post
            Thanks. I believe it is the original Enfield flip sight.

Comment

Nice thread. I've been wanting to do this also. I have the higher-end camera equipment and the firearms - just not the time!

I look forward to the others.
              “The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
              Algernon Blackwood

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
                Nice thread. I've been wanting to do this also. I have the higher-end camera equipment and the firearms - just not the time!

I look forward to the others.
                I hear you brother. It's hard finding time.

Between me, you, and the turnip called Pate we could start a handsome gun museum, I would imagine. I mean we all have wood workshops and lots of tools. Yeah, that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Destro View Post

Between me, you, and the turnip called Pate we could start a handsome gun museum, I would imagine. I mean we all have wood workshops and lots of tools. Yeah, that's it.
                  Most of my pics are in low-light and with my phone - and suck, lol.

Maybe you, me and Pate can rent out the Nassau Colosseum and charge admission - so we can buy more guns! I'm still waiting for a '41 Johnson to 'fall into my lap'.
                  “The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
                  Algernon Blackwood

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post

Most of my pics are in low-light and with my phone - and suck, lol.

Maybe you, me and Pate can rent out the Nassau Colosseum and charge admission - so we can buy more guns! I'm still waiting for a '41 Johnson to 'fall into my lap'.
                    '41 Johnson (drools)...

Comment

Thanks. I believe it is the original Enfield flip sight.
                      I believe you are correct. They look a lot alike. Here's a No4 Mk1

bolt-release.jpg

Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post

I believe you are correct. They look a lot alike. Here's a No4 Mk1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n46292[/ATTACH]
                        Yessir, I believe that's the ticket.

Comment

Same boat here, I want to do a bunch of photoshoots, and doing it right, and actually setting up like you did, with the nature background, obviously takes time to do it right. The stock on the Gibbs is amazing, especially being able to see it from a photograph, the grain is incredible, and amazingly visible, The rifle is amazing as well, but that doesn't make it any easier to have it come across in a photo, DSLR, or not. Truly awesome job on the photography! I'm going to guess Nikkor, or Canon optics, to get that pop, in which case therefore a Nikon, or Canon DSLR body.

As I'm sure you know, it is no longer about pixel count, but the quality of the sensor, and the pedigree of the lens. The only other optics that come close is Zeiss, but those are all made in China now! Still really good, but you are paying for the name, and most people think they are still getting precision German optics. They are still top tier lenses, but overpriced, even if built into a high end fixed lens camera. Do you do any further post processing, like Lightroom, or Photoshop? I don't have the time, although I will fix optical aberrations, as I cant stand putting in the time to take the picture, and allow fixable optical errors to stay.
                          Last edited by MSA77; 07-07-2016, 02:13 AM.
                          NRA Benefactor Life
                          NRA Instructor & RSO
                          NYSRPA, SAF, GOA

Comment

Bubba, pls no.

Comment

Originally posted by MSA77 View Post

Same boat here, I want to do a bunch of photoshoots, and doing it right, and actually setting up like you did, with the nature background, obviously takes time to do it right. ..........Do you do any further post processing, like Lightroom, or Photoshop? I don't have the time, although I will fix optical aberrations, as I cant stand putting in the time to take the picture, and allow fixable optical errors to stay.
                              Thanks, Nikon D55oo with 18-140mm Nikkor (not full frame, but a great camera in the mid tier, very happy with it), natural light, just a tad of balancing in photoshop. The natural light and a camera with a good sensor goes a long way.

Originally posted by Joshatkarps View Post
                              Bubba, pls no.
                              Que?

Comment

Working...
                              X