WTB: Arisaka Clip - 6.5 Jap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB: Arisaka Clip - 6.5 Jap

I bought five inert rounds for my wall hanger, and I want to display them in a clip.

Anyone have an extra?

My curiosity is spiked - I want to see a picture of that wall!

Comment

Gladly:

IMG_20200518_1045012.jpg

Comment

There will be a bayonet under the barrel of the rifle.
        ​​

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Snaps-Arisaka...9815471&sr=8-1
          Steve

Comment

Very nice. Do you have any history on the Gunto?

Comment

That is awesome. Nice job!

Comment

Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post
                Very nice. Do you have any history on the Gunto?
                I didn't know it was a Gunto.

According the the guy who refurbished it in the original style, Moses Beccera, it's a Navy katana that is as poorly crafted a "real" katana can get, which means it's still a nice sword. He said of the sword, "This is the tail-end of the samurai." He estimated it's worth about $4,000 now that it is refurbished.

Please let me know if you believe that is accurate.

The Arisaka is a Carcano/Type I. Since it seems they were issued to the navy, they are a nice set.

Comment

Actual vintage WW2 Japanese items are available on gunbroker if you're willing to fork over $55 for one stripper clip W/ 5 vintage rounds. Otherwise just buy a postwar chinese or Swiss version and leave it in salt water for a while.
                  Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Range Time View Post

I didn't know it was a Gunto.

According the the guy who refurbished it in the original style, Moses Beccera, it's a Navy katana that is as poorly crafted a "real" katana can get, which means it's still a nice sword. He said of the sword, "This is the tail-end of the samurai." He estimated it's worth about $4,000 now that it is refurbished.

Please let me know if you believe that is accurate.

The Arisaka is a Carcano/Type I. Since it seems they were issued to the navy, they are a nice set.
                    Swords were handed down within the family since after the Meiji restoration, there were no more samurai officially. They still made swords but there were very specific requirements about how they were made and who could get them. When Japan militarized around the turn of the century, they wanted to reawaken the spirit of the samurai era so all NCOs and officers were issued swords. If you were from a samurai family, you took your priceless several hundred year old sword off the mantle and had it put into a military type setting to be carried into war. If you were not from a samurai family, they made mass produced swords known as showato which are essentially fake swords from their perspective. Most Gunto or military swords are showato, but plenty of guys came back from the PTO with a centuries old Nihonto (legit samurai sword) and stuck it in an umbrella stand somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
                      Actual vintage WW2 Japanese items are available on gunbroker if you're willing to fork over $55 for one stripper clip W/ 5 vintage rounds. Otherwise just buy a postwar chinese or Swiss version and leave it in salt water for a while.
                      Thanks. I just want the clip, since I bought dummy rounds so as not to display it with live rounds, although it would be cool if it was speced for the Arisaka so it would actually load. I guess I should change the title of the thread to "WTB a repro Arisaka clip or one with the same dimensiins."

Comment

Swords were handed down within the family since after the Meiji restoration, there were no more samurai officially. They still made swords but there were very specific requirements about how they were made and who could get them. When Japan militarized around the turn of the century, they wanted to reawaken the spirit of the samurai era so all NCOs and officers were issued swords. If you were from a samurai family, you took your priceless several hundred year old sword off the mantle and had it put into a military type setting to be carried into war. If you were not from a samurai family, they made mass produced swords known as showato which are essentially fake swords from their perspective. Most Gunto or military swords are showato, but plenty of guys came back from the PTO with a centuries old Nihonto (legit samurai sword) and stuck it in an umbrella stand somewhere.
                        I guess mine's probably a showato/Gunto then. Does $4,000 sound about right for one of those blades in good condition?

Comment

I guess mine's probably a showato/Gunto then. Does $4,000 sound about right for one of those blades in good condition?
                          No. $4,000 is in the range on the low end for a Nihonto. You can find showatos for under a grand.

Comment

No. $4,000 is in the range on the low end for a Nihonto. You can find showatos for under a grand.
                            Well that's great then. There's a lot more than $3,000 difference between them in my mind. And this is now a family heirloom (even though it should probably be with another family). Grandpa didn't keep it in an umbrella stand, but it was down in the basement with another VERY cheap (basically toy) sword.

I'm really glad he gave it to me so that I could have it restored appropriately. I'm even happier I finally have it in a nice display case, temperature-controlled and away from sunlight. I want to pass it down to one of my son-in-laws or grandsons when he buys his first house. The other two will get the Carcano Arisaka and the Last-ditch Arisaka, now both complete with bayonets.

Now I just have to work up the courage to oil the blade carefully since it's been about five years since it was refurbished, and he told me to oil it every year.

Comment

Well that's great then. There's a lot more than $3,000 difference between them in my mind. And this is now a family heirloom (even though it should probably be with another family). Grandpa didn't keep it in an umbrella stand, but it was down in the basement with another VERY cheap (basically toy) sword.

I'm really glad he gave it to me so that I could have it restored appropriately. I'm even happier I finally have it in a nice display case, temperature-controlled and away from sunlight. I want to pass it down to one of my son-in-laws or grandsons when he buys his first house. The other two will get the Carcano Arisaka and the Last-ditch Arisaka, now both complete with bayonets.

Now I just have to work up the courage to oil the blade carefully since it's been about five years since it was refurbished, and he told me to oil it every year.
                              That's great. Its a fantastic family heirloom.

Comment

Working...
                              X