BOYS MK I Anti Tank Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOYS MK I Anti Tank Rifle

Go right to the 3:15 mark unless you want a little vintage Disney.

'Best used within 100 yards of an enemy tank...'

Yeah, no thank you.
    “The Wise are silent, the Foolish speak, and children are thus led astray.”
    Algernon Blackwood

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
      'Best used within 100 yards of an enemy tank...'

Yeah, no thank you.
      Yeah, my Dad was a Sgt in a Recoilless Rifle Squad in WWII, said for the most part all the damn thing would do was let the Germans know where they were,with bad results
      Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

Yeah, my Dad was a Sgt in a Recoilless Rifle Squad in WWII, said for the most part all the damn thing would do was let the Germans know where they were,with bad results
        LOL, what the hell would a 106 RR do against a Panzer?!? Piss them off?

Maybe against a Ketenrad!
        Algernon Blackwood

Comment

LOL, what the hell would a 106 RR do against a Panzer?!? Piss them off?

Maybe against a Ketenrad!
          Back then it wasn't a 106 (which I trained on (the TOW was just after) He used a 57mm....and as he said so lovingly...it sucked. He ended up a Mess Sgt in a freak thing. Because the 57 sucked so bad, those guys took a lot of casualties. My Dad was going back to get replacements after his Squad was hit hard for the 2nd or 3rd time (All killed or wounded) . While in what passed for a rear area, he was getting looked after but wanted to go back. They didn't want to let him go, figuring he was headed Stateside. Earlier, a stray shell had killed/several members of the Mess staff and they were trying to cobble together meals. My Dad told them he could cook, just give him a chance and he'd figure something out. After he successfully pulled off a meal, the CO said "Recoilless Riflemen I can get anywhere, someone who can actually cook, THAT I can't find, you don't want to go home? Fine, you're working for me" So he spent the rest of the war cooking. He never forgot what it was to be up there and always did his best to give guys the best he could, he and his staff were excellent foragers and traders. He told me much later, that most of his Company was killed in the Battle of the Bulge, so that freak thing is probably the reason I'm here today

Comment

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

Back then it wasn't a 106 (which I trained on (the TOW was just after) He used a 57mm....and as he said so lovingly...it sucked. He ended up a Mess Sgt in a freak thing. Because the 57 sucked so bad, those guys took a lot of casualties. My Dad was going back to get replacements after his Squad was hit hard for the 2nd or 3rd time (All killed or wounded) . While in what passed for a rear area, he was getting looked after but wanted to go back. They didn't want to let him go, figuring he was headed Stateside. Earlier, a stray shell had killed/several members of the Mess staff and they were trying to cobble together meals. My Dad told them he could cook, just give him a chance and he'd figure something out. After he successfully pulled off a meal, the CO said "Recoilless Riflemen I can get anywhere, someone who can actually cook, THAT I can't find, you don't want to go home? Fine, you're working for me" So he spent the rest of the war cooking. He never forgot what it was to be up there and always did his best to give guys the best he could, he and his staff were excellent foragers and traders. He told me much later, that most of his Company was killed in the Battle of the Bulge, so that freak thing is probably the reason I'm here today
            Wow...57mm...I remember that now. That's a great story. And you're right, you probably wouldn't be here if he stayed with the 57's.

A family member was an 0351, M47 Dragon Gunner. I read an article called, "The M47 Dragon, Cost-Effective Suicide". It was wire-guided so the gunner had to stay with the launcher until impact. The launch was a spectacle and would let everyone know for a click where you were - and the enemy was trained to concentrate their fire at the dust cloud from the launch. Just one little flinch from incoming fire by the Dragon Gunner and the missile would go off course.......

Attached Files
            Algernon Blackwood

Comment

36 pounds, 100-300 yard range, against tanks, and it was unwieldy. God Bless those that used that thing.
              “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Wow...57mm...I remember that now. That's a great story. And you're right, you probably wouldn't be here if he stayed with the 57's.

A family member was an 0351, M47 Dragon Gunner. I read an article called, "The M47 Dragon, Cost-Effective Suicide". It was wire-guided so the gunner had to stay with the launcher until impact. The launch was a spectacle and would let everyone know for a click where you were - and the enemy was trained to concentrate their fire at the dust cloud from the launch. Just one little flinch from incoming fire by the Dragon Gunner and the missile would go off course.......
                Yeah, when they told us about the TOW missile we concentrated on the part that required you to hold on target (also wire guided) after "dropping your drawers" by firing it. We all looked at one another and went "no..."

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amsIt3Unbvo

Comment

Here some information on use anti tank rifles on the Red Army side:
                    Red Army started accepting antitank rifles in 1939 (PTR-39), caliber 14,5mm with B38 projectile (armor piercing/incendiary) 51gr. Unfortunately in 1940 due to information that German tanks got thicker armor decision was made to stop production. First weeks of German invasion in Soviet Union showed that Wehrmacht still utilizing a lot of Pz1 and Pz2 alongside with first productions of Pz.3's. Order was issued to 2 different designer to develop antitank rifles in shortest possible time. From order issue to first practical shooting both designers used just 22 days (!!!!). Both rifles wore accepted- PTRD and PTRS.

Both rifles wore more then adequate until summer of 1943. Practical shooting distance- against tanks 300 meters or less, plains 500 meters or less. 400K rifles wore produced during the war.

The Simonov PTRS 14.5mm anti-tank rifle was a very innovative rifle, that seemingly offered the Soviet AT gunner of the early part of World War II a frightening amount of firepower. Its semiautomatic action, and en-bloc clip loading gave the infantry five rounds of high velocity heavy AT rifle ammunition on tap, that could be fired as … Read More …

Comment

That's got some serious recoil

Comment

Working...
                      X