Milsurp rifles at pawn shops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milsurp rifles at pawn shops?

Hello, I see a lot of people online recommending Pawn and consignment shops for some old rifles, are there any of these real deal Pawn shops with a number of firearms like these folks out west have but here on the island?

I know my friends in free states find great stuff at pawn shops. Not sure about NY though.

Comment

Ixnay thatnay.
      Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

I think pre-1899 firearms can be sold in local pawn shops in NY, but anything newer than that the shop has to have an FFL/4473/NICS, etc.

If you're looking for pre-'99 guns, you kinda' have to have an idea on their prices to find a deal - those firearms around here are few and far between; great deals are even more rare.
        "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

That’s a “Free State” phenomenon, as I’ve seen it. That being said great deals are not that common but pop up from time to time . The internet and various firearm auction sites have opened up a huge market for these places to sell pawned firearms to. A few friends that live in those states try to establish a relationship with the owner to get heads up on when something there interested in comes in. As one of these guys told me, “you’d be surprised what a two pizzas and case of beer can do!”

Comment

Any pawn shop throughout the US worth its salt has a presence on Gunbroker and lists its firearms inventory. I'd start there.
            Ballistic: "Grif... You are my legal eagle spirit animal...."

Comment

The days of finding "deals" at pawn shops are long gone. You are more likely to find a sporterized mauser that looks like it was stored in a swamp that is stickered with a $2500 ask.
              Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

• Destro
                Destro commented
                Editing a comment
                Normally I’d agree with you but I’ve had some luck in the last couple of years. High volume pawn shops that want o move stuff quickly on gunbroker etc. will let things slip through. Got an Ithaca trench gun from vietnam (sans the heat shield) sold as a regular 37 feather lite. Saved me a few grand. Also got a Saginaw S’G’ usgi m1 carbine in the IP serial block sold as a regular Saginaw. Some high volume shops still just pump stuff out online without researching every piece, but yes it’s far rarer these days.

Okay thanks guys. Much like everything else with old firearms, I’m going to need a little luck in NY to find something of value,

Comment

Unfortunately, eBay & gunbroker has ruined the pawn shop experience for the most part imho. Yes, you can still find a deal here & there, but overall, they use the net as a guide line to value, and often can be inflated. The interwebz has made everybody an "expert". Just my 2 cents.

Comment

You need to stop by regularly the shops by me have a corner in the back of the shop were they put the guns that sit for over 30 . I picked up a 870 with a full choke and an improved cylinder barrels for 200 someone cut the stock down 1” and put a recoil pad on it. It started on the rack for 500 after deer season the people will be getting rid of guns for Christmas money happens every year

Comment

The key to being successful on gunbroker or other auction sites is to be educated enough to find firearms that are improperly labeled or described. Every so often you come across a gem that the seller thinks is something else. Conversely, you should educate yourself on desirable firearms that are commonly faked (jungle carbines, marlin marauders, etc.). Unfortunately, unless you have a lot of time to wait around and comb through gunbroker every night, you'll have to pay the premium to get exactly what you want. Also, make a gunbroker account and use the "advanced search" option - there are a lot of filtering tools in the advance search that make a world of difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
                      Unfortunately, eBay & gunbroker has ruined the pawn shop experience for the most part imho. Yes, you can still find a deal here & there, but overall, they use the net as a guide line to value, and often can be inflated. The interwebz has made everybody an "expert". Just my 2 cents.
                      That, and the popularity of American Pickers and Pawn Stars. Everybody thinks their shit is "one-of-a-kind" and "custom" and made of gold. Oh, it's one of a kind all right...
                      Steve

Comment

There is a Pawn shop in Patchogue on the 4 corners, he is a FFL . I went in several years ago and some old crap was triple what it should have been. I do not particularly care for that establishment..it is not O’Neil s

Comment

Working...
                        X