X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C6NY
    replied
    Originally posted by CAP1974 View Post
    Congrats and enjoy your new Marlin. I am very partial to them and own four, two in .30-30, one .44 mag, and one .35. My primary hunting rifle is a Marlin 336 XLR .30-30 and it has put a lot of meat on the table.
    Thanks. I'm already eye balling a 1895.

Leave a comment:

• frank57
    replied
    One fine deer rifle

Leave a comment:

• CAP1974
    replied
    Congrats and enjoy your new Marlin. I am very partial to them and own four, two in .30-30, one .44 mag, and one .35. My primary hunting rifle is a Marlin 336 XLR .30-30 and it has put a lot of meat on the table.

Leave a comment:

• C6NY
    replied
    Just an update, took it to the range Saturday and it functioned great. I ran three boxes of Core Lokt through it. The trigger is stiffer then I would like but maybe it will loosen up some in time. The sights were a bit of an issue as I didn't have a brass punch to adjust windage but got it close enough till I get back out there. Haven't decided if I'll keep the stock sights or go with one of the peephole versions. No rush on that though, I'm enjoying it a bunch as is. They are really fun rifles to shoot, so much so that I just had 360 rounds delivered and I think I'll be going through them real quick. I really gotta start reloading!

Leave a comment:

• CptChaos296
    replied
    Have wanted one of these since I was a kid... Asked my parents for it on my 13,14,15 and 16th birthdays to no avail... But like you I have bought a lot of other stuff first. Think its time to pull the trigger on one!

Leave a comment:

• NRATC53
    replied
    Originally posted by C6NY View Post
    You're right, I do need a bigger safe and maybe a new wife if I keep buying at this pace.
    my eyes aren't what they used to be and worried about the sights which are an issue for a lot of us more 'middle aged' guys.
    I'll give the stock sights a chance but I've been eyeballing( pun intended) skinner sights. I've also heard about the Williams. How come you went with those? I'm just trying to decide which brand to use and it seems many go with skinner. I know I don't want a scope. I shoot my M1A pretty good with the stock peep so I should be able to get a good shot at a deer vitals with maybe the buckhorn or even better the peep at 100-150 yards.
    I have one in .35 Rem. It has a 4x Redfield on it with Kwik Site see through mounts, works well for me

Leave a comment:

• NRATC53
    replied
    Originally posted by Diesel1 View Post
    Good luck with it. I inherited one from my FIL from about the 70's. I recently read through the manual and it listed Abercrombie and Fitch on 5th Avenue in Manhattan as a local seller/repair shop. Wonder what would happen if I walked into an A&F now with one.
    The purveyors of ridiculous clothing would faint. I was at A&F when they were a real outfitter, amazing store back then

Leave a comment:

• LIChris
    replied
    I've also heard about the Williams. How come you went with those?
    They were $40 at Amazon and I could get them quickly. If they suck, then I will spend the money on Skinners. The stock sights are horrible for me.

Leave a comment:

• sheeple
    replied
    It is a Remiln and is good to go thus far prior to shooting. There weren't many issues with firing just fit and finish for the most part. All reports I've read indicate they've worked out the issues the past couple years.
    That's good, by Remlin I meant one of the crap quality ones. Can't remember how long ago, but I was looking at a marlin, and was told the quality went way downhill, so I passed

Leave a comment:

• Mosin1942
    replied
    Looks good, glad to see/hear they're finally making decent guns.

Leave a comment:

• C6NY
    replied
    Originally posted by SimpleMan View Post

That is a definite. It is a mighty powerful rifle, and can be shot accurately, and almost as quickly, as a semi-auto. It also reduces the temptation to "spray and pray".
    The Marlin Guide is looking pretty fine and might have to bring one home, not too soon though.

Leave a comment:

• C6NY
    replied
    Originally posted by LIChris View Post
    I just put a Williams peep sight on mine in anticipation of deer season and a Georgia hog hunt in January. My Remlin is two years old and functions perfectly, however the wood isn't as nice as yours.

You don't need an intervention - you need a bigger safe.
    You're right, I do need a bigger safe and maybe a new wife if I keep buying at this pace.
    my eyes aren't what they used to be and worried about the sights which are an issue for a lot of us more 'middle aged' guys.
    I'll give the stock sights a chance but I've been eyeballing( pun intended) skinner sights. I've also heard about the Williams. How come you went with those? I'm just trying to decide which brand to use and it seems many go with skinner. I know I don't want a scope. I shoot my M1A pretty good with the stock peep so I should be able to get a good shot at a deer vitals with maybe the buckhorn or even better the peep at 100-150 yards.

Leave a comment:

• SimpleMan
    replied
    I'm already thinking of a 45-70. I need an intervention!
    That is a definite. It is a mighty powerful rifle, and can be shot accurately, and almost as quickly, as a semi-auto. It also reduces the temptation to "spray and pray".

Leave a comment:

• LIChris
    replied
    I just put a Williams peep sight on mine in anticipation of deer season and a Georgia hog hunt in January. My Remlin is two years old and functions perfectly, however the wood isn't as nice as yours.

You don't need an intervention - you need a bigger safe.

Leave a comment:

• C6NY
    replied
    Originally posted by SimpleMan View Post
    Lever actions are a lot of fun (and tactical too). I suspect you will one day have more than one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X