Thoughts on Henry Big Boy 357/38 Brass or Steel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Henry Big Boy 357/38 Brass or Steel

Like the title says I've been debating between getting a Henry Big Boy lever action chambered for 357/38. I'm torn between getting one with a brass receiver versus one in steel. I like the looks of each in their own way. I do like the octagonal barrel on the brass one, but at the same time I'm not used to having something as shiny as brass. I like the classic cowboy look of the brass one, but the steel one is a bit lighter. I feel like a dog chasing his tail. Does anyone have any thoughts, or experiences that lead them one way or the other? I'm sure no matter which I choose I will be happy, but I have to pick one as buying both of them, plus a new scope for my ar would put me over my budget of what I'm spending for now on firearms. Thanks in advance!

If the Henry brass parts can tarnish you could always go for that old brass look.

C8C0D400-76C3-48C6-9C00-8641C66C708A_zpsmlzdqh6s.jpg

Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Go for the brass, just for the cool factor. Cannot go wrong either way

Comment

The brass looks cool but it also weighs 1 and 3/4 pounds more at 8.68 lbs. Unloaded. I vote for ease of handling over looks... but there are those who value looks more and the brass receiver might sell more easily if you ever wanted to part with it

I'm talking apples and oranges here but the Rossi 92 i had with the weight of a little over 5 lb with a 16 inch barrel was such a pleasure to handle.
        Last edited by Vitaman; 04-05-2018, 09:08 PM.
        "If you know how many guns you own,”you don’t have enough guns.”

"What doesn't kill you ... will circle around for a second attempt."

Comment

Get both, you can get an extra receiver and switch off.

Comment

Rookie question....get both. Problem solved and no stress as to whether or not you made the right choice. ; )

Comment

I have the all weather one. It’s nickel with a black wood stock. I think I would do a different finish if I had to
              do it again.

Comment

my vote is both,, why America thats why,,,

Comment

Have the brass one... admit it it's great looking!! Heavy too. 357 has not recoil at all. Great plinker.

Comment

Love my Henry, only a .22 though. Only downside is the tube loading, vs. a more traditional side loading gate.

Comment

Originally posted by 442Stu View Post
                      Love my Henry, only a .22 though. Only downside is the tube loading, vs. a more traditional side loading gate.
                      That why I went with the Uberti (Cimarron Arms) 1866 Yellowboy.

101010187_3770_CF2F3DDDA4401052.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Barnslayer View Post
                        If the Henry brass parts can tarnish you could always go for that old brass look.

C8C0D400-76C3-48C6-9C00-8641C66C708A_zpsmlzdqh6s.jpg
                        Two choices here for brass models 1)K.I.S.S. keep it shiny stupid or 2)Patina it. Good luck , go brass
                        A .45acp says go away in any language ~ Clint Smith

Comment

Originally posted by ANYGUNWILLDOIFUWILLDO View Post

Two choices here for brass models 1)K.I.S.S. keep it shiny stupid or 2)Patina it. Good luck , go brass
                          The reason for the “if” in my post....
                          I’ve heard some gunmakers use a tarnish proof alloy or clearcoat their brass. I don’t own a Henry so I don’t know. Getting a nice patina on those rifles could prove either a P.I.A. Or impossible.
                          No such problem with Uberti.

Comment

I was just told that the Henry manual says that to use .38 Special it MUST be a certain weight bullet (heavy side)....or it might jam.

Now I've got the Rossi, and the thing runs like a clock - I put my 'Halpin' loads through it no problem (barely a hint of powder in them, and a light bullet)

Anyone with a Henry have any input on this?

Comment

Manual states should .38 special should be 158grain. Even said some .38 won't work as well as a .357 because of the shorter case. The .357 does work no problems. In using .38 special just have to make sure you use the lever briskly and with one continuous motion or else you may get a feeding problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X