Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skinner Sights

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Skinner Sights

    I'm looking to replace the factory buckhorn sights on my new Marlin 336. The sights it came with are mediocre at best and I understand many owners replace them with Williams or Skinner sights. I'm leaning towards the Skinners as they seem to have very satisfied customers. They make several different versions for 336 rifles and wondering if anyone here has them, which versions You use, any potential pitfalls and what would you recommend? That goes for Williams or other brands for that matter. Thanks.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

    #2
    I have a skinner peep on my 1895. Love it. Worth every penny.

    Comment


    • C6NY
      C6NY commented
      Editing a comment
      Great, thanks. Which version do you have?

    • Idiocracy
      Idiocracy commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the skinner express. I like it for the different size aperture options for different preferences / lighting conditions. Not trouble zeroing or holding zero.

      http://www.skinnersights.com/images/95BlkGold2E.jpg?965

    #3
    Did you have to change out your front?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

    Comment


    • Idiocracy
      Idiocracy commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope. You can, and I'm sure it will be better than the standard white dot that I have but its not necessary.

    #4
    I agree that the buckhorn is horrible. I just put a scope on mine .

    Comment


      #5
      Originally posted by Happy Camper View Post
      I agree that the buckhorn is horrible. I just put a scope on mine .
      Thought about it briefly with my aging eyes and all but I really don't want to scope this one. Out to 150 yards( only fired it at 100) I should be able to keep it in a deers vitals. Trying to keep it as close to stock as possible. For historic look, weight savings, ergonomics. I did ok with the buckhorn but the skinner peep would be quite a bit better.
      "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

      Comment


        #6
        The scope does come in handy for doe/buck identification in brush or counting tines on a rack.

        Comment


        • Idiocracy
          Idiocracy commented
          Editing a comment
          Binoculars are just as effective.

        • Happy Camper
          Happy Camper commented
          Editing a comment
          True. But it a scope is faster.

        #7
        I have placed Skinner sights on both my Winchester and Marlin, both Winged and non-winged receiver sights - they are excellent and Andy at Skinner is very helpful. As far as the front sight, it's a shoot and see, it's 50/50 that you will need to change it.

        Comment


          #8
          do it.

          Comment


            #9
            I've been on an M1 carbine buying kick and the 336 took back burner. I'm going to order skinners in the next week or two. Thanks for replies.
            "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction" R.R.

            Comment


              #10
              I have used and sold my Skinner sights. They are a PITA. Try Tech sights and see if they make a unit for your rifle.

              http://www.tech-sights.com/
              Last edited by Fotheringill; 03-08-2017, 09:33 AM.

              Comment


                #11
                Originally posted by Happy Camper View Post
                The scope does come in handy for doe/buck identification in brush or counting tines on a rack.
                Although I just hunt Lawnguyland this is why I have kept the Godawful looking scope on my .35 Marlin 336. I have been exchanging emails with Andy at Skinner however, and will be mailing him the receiver from my Henry Frontier .22 for a drill tap and install job. Shooting paper at 25 to 50 yards with a .22 shouldn't require a scope, especially if I match a Skinner rear with a Lyman Globe front.

                Comment


                  #12
                  On March 10 I mailed my Henry Frontier's receiver to Andy Larsson of Skinner Sights in order to have a peep sight drilled, tapped and installed. I got it back today ! I also ordered a smaller rear aperture as well as two filler screws for the buckhorn which I will remove. All for $99. After my wonderful colonoscopy (LOL) Wednesday I'll go to Mitchel to shoot with the original front post in order to decide which Lyman Globe 17A to order from OpticsPlanet or Midway as I want the front sight to be an aperture as well, but am a little uncertain as to what height I need. (the Henry's front post is allegedly .450" high from dovetail to post, but I am not sure if thats the middle of the bead or the top of the bead.) Andy emailed me back promptly with answers to all of my questions. Yes, Skinner sells peep sights that slide onto the receiver's dovetail, but I wanted to keep the sightline as low as possible and the slim and trim sight that Andy sells for the Henry's is significantly lower than the ones that slide onto the dovetail. Anyone who is of the age for colonoscopies ( I have had 3 or 4 now) is probably able to benefit from peep sights over buckhorns, and I can put my scope up for sale !

                  Comment


                    #13
                    Originally posted by pequa1 View Post
                    On March 10 I mailed my Henry Frontier's receiver to Andy Larsson of Skinner Sights in order to have a peep sight drilled, tapped and installed. I got it back today ! I also ordered a smaller rear aperture as well as two filler screws for the buckhorn which I will remove. All for $99. After my wonderful colonoscopy (LOL) Wednesday I'll go to Mitchel to shoot with the original front post in order to decide which Lyman Globe 17A to order from OpticsPlanet or Midway as I want the front sight to be an aperture as well, but am a little uncertain as to what height I need. (the Henry's front post is allegedly .450" high from dovetail to post, but I am not sure if thats the middle of the bead or the top of the bead.) Andy emailed me back promptly with answers to all of my questions. Yes, Skinner sells peep sights that slide onto the receiver's dovetail, but I wanted to keep the sightline as low as possible and the slim and trim sight that Andy sells for the Henry's is significantly lower than the ones that slide onto the dovetail. Anyone who is of the age for colonoscopies ( I have had 3 or 4 now) is probably able to benefit from peep sights over buckhorns, and I can put my scope up for sale !

                    Nice!!!....post pics if you can

                    Comment


                      #14
                      waiting for the bolt loosener to help remove the now "ladderless" buckhorn
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 2 photos.

                      Comment


                        #15
                        Nice!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X