Show and Tell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show and Tell

Thought I'd post a couple of pics of an interesting firearm that many here might never have seen.
    This is a really sturdy well-built firearm that has not been in production in the US for the past 60 years. Field and Stream (the magazine) and other writers have named it the best Lever Rifle ever made.

Winchester Model 71, made only chambered in .348win (with just a small handful of exceptions).

A very stout caliber, capable of North American large game hunting. The round is quite exceptional. It is truly a .340 caliber, the only .34 ever made. The outside of the base rim is .61 ! That's monstrous in the reloading world.

Ammo is still made commercially for it by Winchester and Hornady every couple of years. Reloading supplies are readily available.
    A Japanese-made (Miroku) version has been available once or twice in the recent decades.

The rifle has great lines, a fine pedigree, and is still in use today by guys young enough to not need a scope. This is the standard version, the deluxe version had a hooded sight and a fair amount of checkering.

I just thought a little gun talk would be fun....

model 71 win.jpg

model 71 win 2.jpgmodel 71 win 2.jpg
    LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Looks similar to the 86, 45-70

Comment

that sure is peeerdie

Comment

I'm in love, but she is gonna be a very expensive date .

Comment

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...inchester.html
          "If you know how many guns you own,”you don’t have enough guns.”

"What doesn't kill you ... will circle around for a second attempt."

Comment

Those are great rifles. Smooth and strong actions.
            Doug@782Guns.com
            1545 A2 Ocean Ave
            Bohemia, NY 11716

Comment

Saw it in the case. Very nice

Comment

Looks very nice for her age.

Comment

Stout is a good word for that round for sure!

Comment

If I am not mistaken, The American Rifleman just had an article about this gun in the last 2-3 months. Pretty nice write up about it. Fortunately, I have no need for a gun that powerful. :-)
                    "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                    Tucker Max

Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                    Finicky Fat Guy

Comment

3 bucks a shot, unless you roll your own.
                      Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitefoot View Post
                        I'm in love, but she is gonna be a very expensive date .
                        The ammo is not cheap. I sold three 20 round boxes of Winchester SuperX, 200 grain Silvertip, 348 WIN ammo, about a month or so ago, for over $200.00 for the lot - and I let it go at an almost lowball price. Mind you that was in commemorative boxes and I imagine if it was not in a commemorative boxes it would be a bit less expensive - maybe. Still though, it was of fairly recent manufacture and went for that much. Wish I had more to sell to whoever buys this nice rifle.
                        Last edited by Glenn B; 11-26-2018, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I saw what I am guessing is a price tag under it. So if I may ask out of curiosity - how much are you asking?

Comment

Working...
                          X