Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the purpose of a .22 cal smoothbore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thumbs up for Ten Mile River

Comment

Remington has a whole system also and even Crossman had a air gun shotgun. Crossmans “clays” were plastic and snapped back together.

Believe it or not I shot the Crossman at Madison Square Gardens at a camping show in the late 60’s or early 70’s. Don’t remember which.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbore44 View Post
        Clays are very brittle by design, so it really doesn't take much.
        Sort of. You can find whole clays on the ground with shot holes clear through and no break. It is very common to be shooting trap, hit the clay, and the clay changes direction (jumps right or left) but does not break.
        Murphy's law says they break easier when loading the machine than when flying through the air.

LI Ammo, 2 Larkfield Rd. East Northport, open seven days

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyblueyes View Post
          I don’t believe the above ad for cheap skeet shooting there is no way one of those ,22 shot shells would break a clay. Is there?
          They stopped making the Mossberg Targo years ago. Very collectible these days.
          Here is one from the Bass Pro Shops museum in Springfield MO.
          I spent about 3 hrs just walking through the displays. If anyone ever gets a chance to go it's definitely worth the trip.

Comment

This was also there. At first I looked at it and said why is this POS in the case? Then I looked further. The first ever Remington 870. Serial #000 Cool as shit. Just like the R15 Screenshot_20191016-182111_Gallery.jpg serial #1 under it. Screenshot_20191016-182119_Gallery.jpg

Comment

I was just thinking,this thread seemed like a dimple question and really grew into a informative post. Which make me wonder why, gun manufacturers all seem to be putting out the same product, by thus I mean polymer,striker fired pistols. Pretty much all look the similar. Why not create something new , I’ll get it was fun shooting small targets with a .22. Why can’t they come out with a new Bore size ,or combo smooth bore and rifled, I know it’s been done previously,maybe byube fed instead of single shot. I don’t have anything in mind ,but would like to have more fun with guns.

Comment

Originally posted by cas View Post
                As stated, as "garden gun". Something that fell out of popularity a hundred years ago or so... not that it was ever that popular. lol For shot rounds. Killing pests in you garden and yard. Though .22lr shot shells aren't much good for anything other than shooting snakes a few feet away.
                They will take out squirrel, rabbit, smaller rodents etc, and when houses or livestock are close, 22 shotshells don't carry far. Have used 22 smoothbore quite a bit in that respect
                Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

I don’t believe the above ad for cheap skeet shooting there is no way one of those ,22 shot shells would break a clay. Is there?
                  Specially sized clays, and they broke just fine. Broke regular clays too, you just have less power and less pellets to do it with, and the clays were usually hand thrown. Mossberg Targo and others, as stated above. Broke many clays over the marshes and at Scout Camp

Comment

I was just thinking,this thread seemed like a dimple question and really grew into a informative post. Which make me wonder why, gun manufacturers all seem to be putting out the same product, by thus I mean polymer,striker fired pistols. Pretty much all look the similar. Why not create something new , I’ll get it was fun shooting small targets with a .22. Why can’t they come out with a new Bore size ,or combo smooth bore and rifled, I know it’s been done previously,maybe byube fed instead of single shot. I don’t have anything in mind ,but would like to have more fun with guns.
                    It's a Hell of a lot of fun stretching out a 22 or other small caliber to shoot difficult targets, especially if you don't have unlimited range to use. 5mm Rem was one, it went away but now has ammo available again. .17 HMR, etc. Toughest thing is keeping people interested in buying the product

Comment

Originally posted by NRATC53 View Post

They will take out squirrel, rabbit, smaller rodents etc, and when houses or livestock are close, 22 shotshells don't carry far. Have used 22 smoothbore quite a bit in that respect
                      When I was a teen I talked a friend into trying to kill a bird with them... knowing full well he was never going to do it. He used up have a pack of them before I let him in on the joke, that he was never going to harm them, even at the relatively short distances he was shooting.
                      John Valuk is dead. He fell on his head.

Comment

Originally posted by cas View Post

When I was a teen I talked a friend into trying to kill a bird with them... knowing full well he was never going to do it. He used up have a pack of them before I let him in on the joke, that he was never going to harm them, even at the relatively short distances he was shooting.
                        At garden ranges, I had no problem. Anything longer than 50 ft was a maybe

Comment

Working...
                        X