My First Lever Action Repeater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Lever Action Repeater

I wanted to buy a lever action repeater since right after I bought my first gun few years back. Didn't know much about lever action, didn't know what caliber to pick (I love big caliber), and I focused so much on milsurp so I put this idea aside.

Then I purchased my first .22 a year back and discovered the fun of shooting rim fire cartridge. I started some research but still I didn't look into a lever action seriously.

Until last month I spotted a Henry .22 large loop. This little carbine is very affordable. The walnut stock on the stock photo is gorgeous. Then I searched on google to see if everybody's Henry has such beautiful wood. It turned out not all are as gorgeous but not too far. Barrel length is 16 1/8” , weight is a little more than 5 pounds. Ordered it last week. Took it from Volko yesterday then drove the Brookhaven. Action is very smooth. I didn't do well with the open sight shooting the Remington bucket pack hallow point ammo. But once I put the scope on, most of the bullets hit on the red at 50-yard. A very fun gun to shoot. And it's beautiful too. The Nikon Buckmasters is disproportionate to the carbine obviously. I makes the carbine a lot heavier too. But that was the scope I had yesterday. I have another two scopes in a storage box at home. Maybe I'll try them out next time. But... after using the Buckmasters for quite some time, how can you go back to a cheap scope?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 9 photos.
    Last edited by louie lam; 07-14-2016, 01:38 AM.

Good stuff, enjoy!
    Take a young person shooting.... Take 2 or more if you can...

Comment

Now that you have one, whats next for your lever family?
      stay alive, carry a 45

Comment

The lever obsession now starts. You can't own just one.
        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
        - Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
        - James Madison

Comment

Nice gun, loose the scope. I have a Marlin 39M for almost 30 years. Tried a scope on it, but eventually took it off, as it shoots almost as good with open sights. A lever gun is a natural pointer, and you will have more fun without the scope. You can try removing the front sight hood when shooting. I find I see the sights much clearer without that hood blocking the light. You can also try different brands of ammo, to see which shoot better in the gun. My Marlin loves the Remington Golden bullets, though most of my others do not.
          Evil beware, Postal Bob is here!
          Certified NROI RSO

Member Freeport R&R

Comment

Congrats. Really want to buy one of those.

Comment

Congrats. My first (and only) lever gun is a Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum. Is a blast (pun intended) to shoot. I have a Weaver V3, 1-3x20 scope on it mounted on quick release mounts so I can use the scope or quickly remove it without having to re-zero. Love my lever gun..

Comment

That was my fist lever gun too. I love it to this day actually th gun that turned my wife on to shooting. Excellent gun. Congrats... You will enjoy it

Comment

We we went to gun show a few month ago my wife fell in love with Evil Roy model. Now it is on my "to get" list.

Comment

These aftermarket iron sights look good. I'd like to put them on my 1866 Cimarron/Uberti.

Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Same exact model was my first rifle as well. I upgraded the sights to Hi-Viz and it's fun as hell now. No way would I scope it, great fun at 50yds. Now have my eyes on a Rossi stainless 38/357. Something cowboy about carbine levers.

Comment

Good looking Henry! I saw one of these at Fred's nice little carbine. I went with the .38/.357 one, I'm debating on if I should scope it or not.

Comment

Louie, with all the milsurps you have I'm surprised you're having trouble with the iron sights.
                          Ditch the scope and put a small red dot on it, then it will look more proportionate.
                          There so little recoil that almost any decent quality sight will do.
                          SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Originally posted by Postal Bob View Post
                            Nice gun, loose the scope. I have a Marlin 39M for almost 30 years. Tried a scope on it, but eventually took it off, as it shoots almost as good with open sights. A lever gun is a natural pointer, and you will have more fun without the scope. You can try removing the front sight hood when shooting. I find I see the sights much clearer without that hood blocking the light. You can also try different brands of ammo, to see which shoot better in the gun. My Marlin loves the Remington Golden bullets, though most of my others do not.
                            Will try some CCI next time. I used the iron sight to shoot at first. The bullets sprayed all over the 7" target. It hit the red continuously after I zeroed in the scope.

It's dfinately a nice little carbine. Fun to shoot a lot without breaking the bank.

Comment

Working...
                            X