Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 inch groups at 50 yards with Henry lever action today!..with iron sights!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 inch groups at 50 yards with Henry lever action today!..with iron sights!

I finally was able to shrink the group sizing on my Henry h001y after trying many iron sight options. This is the combo that worked for me

A hi-viz Henry Front sight assembly with the dovetailed fiber optic front sight replaced with a Williams 1/16 micro gold bead .406 front sight.

A Williams WGRS-54 rear peep sight with the aperture swapped for a .050 aperture

Using Aquila subsonic solid point 40g ammo

I was consistently making 1 inch groups at 50 yards, and I have crummy vision!!!

I can't wait to see if I can reduce the groups more with different ammo and practice!...and maybe an even smaller aperture sight!!!

I hope this post helps other who want better performance from their Henry

Do you still have the hooded front sight? I don't mind the hooded sight for short and intermediate distances. I do not like it for long distance.

H001-Large.jpg

Comment

Last time at the 50 yard range, took out the Henry .22, scoped. 30 shots taken in all with 21 going into that ragged hole.
      Attached Files

Comment

give this a try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFG3hWdRmvU
        "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Comment

Originally posted by SimpleMan View Post
          Do you still have the hooded front sight? I don't mind the hooded sight for short and intermediate distances. I do not like it for long distance.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n66005[/ATTACH]

No, the new Williams microbead front sight doesn't have clearance for the hood, besides the sight is rugged enough not to need it

Comment

Originally posted by psydaddy View Post
            Last time at the 50 yard range, took out the Henry .22, scoped. 30 shots taken in all with 21 going into that ragged hole.
            I was thinking of adding a scope to reduce the group size even more, but a lever gun just screams for iron sights, so I went with peeps

Comment

Originally posted by Vitaman View Post
              Yeah, I would love to see the Brookhaven range officers reaction if I did that!!!

Comment

You are truly blessed in getting a Henry that is capable of shooting 1" and you are obviously a marksman.
                As to Brookhaven, if one does not like the rules, one can shoot elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Fotheringill View Post
                  You are truly blessed in getting a Henry that is capable of shooting 1" and you are obviously a marksman.
                  As to Brookhaven, if one does not like the rules, one can shoot elsewhere.
                  It didn't happen over night, it took a long time with this gun

Comment

I was not being a wise ass in my reply. I have had two Henry Frontiers. I now have one. Neither one came close to shooting an inch at 50 yards. That is with original iron sites, Skinner peeps with Lyman fronts, Leupold 3-9, Weaver 4-16, Mueller, 4.5 to something, a variety of rings and risers and mounts. Henry is good about you sending it back. Each has been back to Hoboken more than twice. No improvement. I have been told that I am a very good shot with a variety of calibers.
                    BTW- I have used, at each iteration of the above, mid shelf ammo to top shelf target ammo. I was not shooting Remington or Winchester bulk.

Comment

Originally posted by Fotheringill View Post
                      I was not being a wise ass in my reply. I have had two Henry Frontiers. I now have one. Neither one came close to shooting an inch at 50 yards. That is with original iron sites, Skinner peeps with Lyman fronts, Leupold 3-9, Weaver 4-16, Mueller, 4.5 to something, a variety of rings and risers and mounts. Henry is good about you sending it back. Each has been back to Hoboken more than twice. No improvement. I have been told that I am a very good shot with a variety of calibers.
                      BTW- I have used, at each iteration of the above, mid shelf ammo to top shelf target ammo. I was not shooting Remington or Winchester bulk.
                      I understand your frustration, I went through the same frustration. That's why I posted the results, I was dumbfounded

Comment

Went to the range again yesterday. Here are my five shot group from yesterday, using auto match bulk ammo. The two shots at the ten and eleven o'clock position are from sighting in the new ammo since it shoots hotter. I am loving these Williams sights!!!
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.
                        Last edited by Ancap; 08-22-2016, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Ancap,
                          could you please post a pic of your Henry with the sights ? I have both the H001 and Frontier models but because old eyes and the need for bifocals, I scoped both and do not like the look. I know from shooting my M1 carbine and two air rifles that peep sights can make up for lousy eyesight.
                          Also quite curious as to why you felt the need to "
                          "A hi-viz Henry Front sight assembly with the dovetailed fiber optic front sight replaced with a Williams 1/16 micro gold bead .406 front sight."

Comment

Originally posted by Ancap View Post
                            Went to the range again yesterday. Here are my five shot group from yesterday, using auto match bulk ammo. The two shots at the ten and eleven o'clock position are from sighting in the new ammo since it shoots hotter. I am loving these Williams sights!!!
                            No more than 2 targets on the backboards! Geez

Comment

Originally posted by Heartlessmcfly View Post

No more than 2 targets on the backboards! Geez
                              I thought as long as they are vertical, you are good to go....been doing it this way for years

Comment

Working...
                              X