Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Henry Big Boy side-gate, color case hardened .357 (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/901936422

Comment

Originally posted by TheMongoose View Post
      Dan 0351 might be interested...Yep that’s the 7 round 16.5” with the big loop. More decent prices have been popping up as I’ve mentioned in the last month.

Not a fan of the big loop (neither are competitive shooters - SASS, Wild Bunch etc.) but it can be swapped out. It’s too bad Henry doesn’t sell the oval X model loop which really is the best profile and mimics some expensive aftermarket options. Will be doing a post on swapping in some Ranger Point stainless parts on an old Marlin in the near future.

Comment

If I didn't have so many other things going on right now, I would love to have grabbed this:

Henry .44.JPG

Henry .44 mag, 16.5" oct barrel, side gate. I'd change out the large loop though, I'm not a fan.

It sold for $1,125 + $30 shipping.
        Buy Henry H012GRCC Big Boy Carbine Side Gate 44 Mag 16.50" Color Case Harded: GunBroker is the largest seller of Lever Action Rifles Rifles Guns & Firearms All: 901916532
        Last edited by Dan 0351; 05-30-2021, 12:40 PM.
        "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

• Destro
          Destro commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a 16” threaded barrel Henry side gate 44 mag with an oval loop (see comment above) which is one of my favorite shooters and a 20” Henry .44 mag.

Ranger point makes a great stainless loop that is a great compromise of the finger level loop and big loop ( seen on the Marlin 336 in the group shot on the first page)

Unfortunately it’s not available for Henry and Henry only sells the big loop as a replacement on their site.

• Dan 0351
          Dan 0351 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, one of these days I'll get my s#it together. I have a blued Marlin .357 (1981) but it has stainless mid-sized loop. I bought a new standard loop but it doesn't fit (must have changed something and this is a newer lever).....then I moved on to the next project, like usual. I have correct sights for civil war guns waiting to be tapped in, new wood for a Marlin lever .41 that has to replace old wood, etc,etc, etc......one day......

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
        If I didn't have so mony other things going on right now, I would love to have grabbed this:

Henry .44.JPG

Henry .44 mag, 16.5" oct barrel, side gate. I'd change out the large loop though, I'm not a fan.

It sold for $1,125 + $30 shipping.
        I agree with you, and I touched upon that a bit a post up, and most competitive lever-gun shooters will say that the big loop is more style over substance. Now my issue is that some of the factory "finger level" loops as they're called are too snug for my huge hands, and the sleek oval option of a medium loop emerged in the aftermarket as well as in Henry's new X-model.

Now, that I'm at my desk...

Here is Ranger Point Precision's aftermarket stainless sleek oval lever on an 80s Marlin 336 (along with their stainless quick take-down screw). It looks a lot like what Henry did with their current X-model loop and feels great.

leverloop_rangerpointmarlin.jpg

Here is the Henry factory X-model loop which was introduced in 2020. It is only currently available on their X-model. The other loops that Henry has is the big loop and the regular finger-level loop. Henry sells the big loop as a replacement in their parts store but no others. I wish they will start selling this one, cause it feels and looks best for me.

leverloop_hneryXmodel.jpg
        Here is a factory Marlin big loop on an 1895 next to a Henry X-model factory loop for comparison.

leverloop_xmodel_marlindark.jpg
        Last edited by Destro; 05-30-2021, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Destro View Post

I agree with you, and I touched upon that a bit a post up, and most competitive lever-gun shooters will say that the big loop is more style over substance. Now my issue is that some of the factory "finger level" loops as they're called are too snug for my huge hands, and the sleek oval option of a medium loop emerged in the aftermarket as well as in Henry's new X-model.

Now, that I'm at my desk...

Here is Ranger Point Precision's aftermarket stainless sleek oval lever on an 80s Marlin 336 (along with their stainless quick take-down screw). It looks a lot like what Henry did with their current X-model loop and feels great.

Here is the Henry factory X-model loop which was introduced in 2020. It is only currently available on their X-model. The other loops that Henry has is the big loop and the regular finger-level loop. Henry sells the big loop as a replacement in their parts store but no others. I wish they will start selling this one, cause it feels and looks best for me.

Here is a factory Marlin big loop on an 1895 next to a Henry X-model factory loop for comparison.
          One of my Marlin .44's and a .357 have the mid-sized loop, which I don't mind at all.

Marlin 1894 .44 magnum.jpg

Marlin 1894 .357 (1981).jpg
          "The Open Carry guy is my decoy."

Comment

• Destro
            Destro commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, those are nice, unfortunately Henry doesn’t offer a mid option unless it’s the x model which is a fantastic contour. With that and the very similar Ranger point aftermarket loop it’s not just about the size but the sleek oval contour which really is a more natural fit.
        Working...
        X