Registered Rifle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registered Rifle question

So I have a lower that is registered. Id like to build it. Can I still have the sliding stock and muzzle brake?

Yes
    SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

• Barnslayer
      Barnslayer commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm confused. Pre-safe you were allowed to change out a OEM muzzle brake, compensator or flash hider for a different one. Right?

If it was registered, I thought there are no restrictions other than the mags and whatever rules existed before (like min. barrel length).

• Dank27
      Dank27 commented
      Editing a comment
      My only concern with pin/weld is the gas block is now permanent lol.

If i ever have a problem the barrel/gas block and muzzle device is screwed

• Mad Russian
      Mad Russian commented
      Editing a comment
      It was always pinned and welded, so as far as I understand it the SAFE act registration didn't change that.
      Two piece gas blocks are available, but how often do you plan on changing it?

Until they take it away.
    Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

• Dank27
      Dank27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea, it is what it is lol

Originally posted by Dank27 View Post
    So I have a lower that is registered. Id like to build it. Can I still have the sliding stock and muzzle brake?
    A few questions:
    Is it a stripped lower? Why would you register a stripped lower that isn't built yet? I didn't even know you could.

Or is it a complete lower? What "features" does it have? Don't they describe the features on the registration, at the time of registration? Isn't that so the feature set cannot be changed nor added to?

The muzzle brake is on the upper. I don't understand. What exactly do you have?
    • To be human is to be armed.
    • Social media are the "Assault Weapons" of the First Amendment.

Comment

Even if it is registered, you can't have a collapsible stock and a flash suppressor. Weren't those the rules pre-unsafe? I'm so damn confused.

Comment

Not a lawyer - but I believe a registered AW under unSAFE is an AW regardless of how many evil features it has.

Comment

If you have a registered lower it can be built with all features. It cannot have any nfa features (sbr, suppressor). A stripped lower could have been registered, as it is legally considered the firearm. While i am no fan of registration, you may as well make the most of it and have all the dastardly features you can.

Comment

• BLAMMO!!
            BLAMMO!! commented
            Editing a comment
            Doesn't the registration contain a description of the weapon, and its features, at the time of registration? I don't know but some people posted samples of registration forms at the time.

• class3
            class3 commented
            Editing a comment
            The form didn't have that much detail but you can modify it in any event. Once it is 'evil' it's ok to make it 'more evil' as long as you don't make it 'really really evil' by chopping the barrel into an SBR.

Also, mattyj513, a lower alone is not a firearm in the eyes of the Laws of the State of New York. While I'm sure lowers could and were registered under SAFE, technically they were not evil assault weapons unless they were built into a functional configuration. This is one of the several important points of distinction between Federal and New York State law and leads to a lot of weird results.

• mattyj513
            mattyj513 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I'm aware of the nys and fed distinction of a firearm when it comes to lowers. Opens up another large grey area in regards to compliance, aws, and constructive intent. Technically you could take a nys deemed aw ar15, remove the upper, and even if the lower has a pg and collapsible stock it isn't an assault weapon, as without the upper attached it is incapable of semi automatic fire and thus exempt. Wouldn't want to defend myself in a liberal ny court over any of this.

Was this a stripped lower that was registered (with NYS)?
          If Sonny had EZ-Pass, he'd have survived that hit...

Comment

As I understand it if you registered your rifle as a assault weapon , you can have every evil feature.
            I have even called the state police many times, and asked them that same question.
            Every time they say yes.
            If you upper has a pinned muzzle break, you can unpin it and change it to a flash hider.

Comment

Depends on what your betters say.
              id send an email to Cumos office asking what you were allowed
              "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

If it is registered ...you can have ALL features regardless of what features it had when you registered it .... IT'S NOT AN ASSAULT WEAPON IF IT'S REGISTERED .

Comment

FUAC !!!

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMMO!! View Post

A few questions:
                    Is it a stripped lower? Why would you register a stripped lower that isn't built yet? I didn't even know you could.

Or is it a complete lower? What "features" does it have? Don't they describe the features on the registration, at the time of registration? Isn't that so the feature set cannot be changed nor added to?

The muzzle brake is on the upper. I don't understand. What exactly do you have?
                    You could have registered mouse shit if you made up a serial number for it.

Comment

Originally posted by crashguy View Post
                      If it is registered ...you can have ALL features regardless of what features it had when you registered it .... IT'S NOT AN ASSAULT WEAPON IF IT'S REGISTERED .
                      It legally is an assault weapon, but you're allowed to have it.

Hence it being called "assault weapon registration"

Comment

Working...
                      X