First AR build choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First AR build choice

Build is going to be fixed mag, very likely using the ARMagLock as that seems to be the best solution to the problem. There are kits for all 3 calibers so that isnt an issue. I have a mini14 in 223 and a RAR in 308 so neither will be investing in a new caliber, while 300BLK would. That's not a deciding factor for me. I wanted to see what people might be able to offer for input. I know there are some differences if I go AR10 with Armalite and DPMS having different characteristics that do not always plat nice.
    5.56/223
    76.00%
    7.62/308 DPMS
    8.00%
    7.62/308 Armalite
    4.00%
    300BLK
    12.00%
    Last edited by wdeister08; 06-06-2016, 08:06 PM.

5.56 build ....should be a requirement for all Americans

Comment

Sorry but I stopped reading after "fixed mag". Best of luck with your build!
      Just Another Reason For Me To Retire in Tennessee.

Comment

• Mad Russian
        Mad Russian commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too! Fixed mag is stoopeed.

Why choose? One of each and let us know which you like best.

Comment

Originally posted by Basballny2 View Post
        Why choose? One of each and let us know which you like best.
        One has to be first

Comment

5.56 first

Comment

This is what I build for my pre safe act lower.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• MossbergMan
              MossbergMan commented
              Editing a comment
              5.45x39 sweet!

• roneyzf
              roneyzf commented
              Editing a comment
              The 5.45x39 shoots so much better then the 556 I think.

Ditch the fixed mag thought...

Comment

Originally posted by iceburg View Post
              Ditch the fixed mag thought...
              Why? I keep all my features that I want and if I ever leave I just swap lowers.

Comment

IMHO 5.56 for the first build. I built 4 of them and I am now moving on to an AR10 chambered in 243. After doing the AR10 do not start there. Start with the 5.56 as there are many very cost effective options. I also read in your post that you might be looking at a kit. Personally I would not buy a kit but by the parts that you want instead.
                NRA Member, NYSRPA Member
                NY, NH, PA, Utah, Florida, Connecticut CCW

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Here's my curve ball, 7.62x39. A thirty caliber AR that's cheap to feed.

Comment

• sheeple
                    sheeple commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I really like the idea of a 7.62x39 AR. Was reading that they're a pain in the neck to build due to feed ramp issues? I'd love to build one though.

Originally posted by Jambo View Post
                  IMHO 5.56 for the first build. I built 4 of them and I am now moving on to an AR10 chambered in 243. After doing the AR10 do not start there. Start with the 5.56 as there are many very cost effective options. I also read in your post that you might be looking at a kit. Personally I would not buy a kit but by the parts that you want instead.
                  Seriously though, exactly what he said. Start with the AR15 platform.

Comment

Originally posted by wdeister08 View Post

Why? I keep all my features that I want and if I ever leave I just swap lowers.

For some reason people don't think like that.. I would go even further and have a detachable mag lower seperate while in newyork

Comment

Originally posted by Bigrob View Post

For some reason people don't think like that.. I would go even further and have a detachable mag lower seperate while in newyork
                      Also my thinking. With featureless I have to swap the stock, the grip the barrel, possibly even the handguards.

Comment

5.56 featureless for a first build. Spur and normal fixed stock (magpul, AFX skeleton). I have zero problem shooting spur ARs and even run movement drills with them on my private range.

A fixed mag is more of a novelty that you can add later and though I own a few mainly to test out comps and stocks (and to run a couple of my 14.5" welded comp M4gery uppers I had before SAFE), it should never be a first build or AR choice.

ARSTOX.jpg
                        Last edited by Destro; 06-07-2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X