No announcement yet.

Modified Bolt catch for AR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rumor has it Dark Storm Industries contacted NYSPD did a little song and dance, a little whining and convincing that it should not be legal... I would never even consider giving them my business after that.

Comment

DSI trying to be the only source of NY compliant AR’s?
      Anyone remember Traci Lords?
      Exercise the Bill of Rights. It's good for your Constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by strmrdr81 View Post
        Rumor has it Dark Storm Industries contacted NYSPD did a little song and dance, a little whining and convincing that it should not be legal... I would never even consider giving them my business after that.
        You are so correct. I heard the same thing. Hence my posts on.
        https://www.longislandgunclub.com/fo...tier-5-and-dsi

Comment

So technically, because the bolt catch simply impedes a full cycle without actually changing the mechanical system it's still semi auto? I'm curious to see what the ruling is.
          A sunny day
          A shotgun and a Chevrolet
          Wouldn't you like that?

Comment

Ruling ? What ruling ? THEY don't need no stinkin' ruling !

Comment

Originally posted by viper720 View Post
              So technically, because the bolt catch simply impedes a full cycle without actually changing the mechanical system it's still semi auto? I'm curious to see what the ruling is.
              Here is the larger issue. NYSP comes in and says the Tier 5 is not good for Ny. The FFL has to contact all the tier 5 customers and retro fit the rifle with some other compliant method. When the NYSP are asked, ok if tier 5 is a no go, then what is compliant to make it Ny correct? No answer. That’s the crux. But it’s a catch 22, do we want to know what they deem compliant? Because they can say nothing is compliant and then it’s a bigger problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Rrudo74901 View Post

Here is the larger issue. NYSP comes in and says the Tier 5 is not good for Ny. The FFL has to contact all the tier 5 customers and retro fit the rifle with some other compliant method. When the NYSP are asked, ok if tier 5 is a no go, then what is compliant to make it Ny correct? No answer. That’s the crux. But it’s a catch 22, do we want to know what they deem compliant? Because they can say nothing is compliant and then it’s a bigger problem.
                There has also been a question as to what extent a "fixed mag" needs to be truly "fixed". I have heard recently, that the NYSP has said that as long as the "fixed mag" requires a tool to remove, it is considered compliant. IMO, that includes Jerry's Kit, AllStarTactical SafeMod mag button, DD's Ranch AR15 Magazine Lock and similar products. IMO, this does not include the AR Mag Lock that allows you to remove the mag when the action is opened. My $.02 for what its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Rrudo74901 View Post

I also have a problem with NYSP telling a private company that a product they sell is illegal with (as far as we know right now) virtually no legal grounds and then forcing them to recall their product under threat of felony charges.

Sounds less like enforcing laws and more like intimidation.
                  A sunny day
                  A shotgun and a Chevrolet
                  Wouldn't you like that?

Comment

Originally posted by viper720 View Post

I also have a problem with NYSP telling a private company that a product they sell is illegal with (as far as we know right now) virtually no legal grounds and then forcing them to recall their product under threat of felony charges.

Sounds less like enforcing laws and more like intimidation.
                    Again a catch 22. They could have requested the buyers info and arrested them all under safe violations and played it out in court and shut the store and arrested the owners for selling illegal firearms. We all know that has been done and defended at great expense of the owners and a waste of tax payers dollars. But politicians won’t give up a photo op.

Comment

Originally posted by HyFiveGuns View Post

There has also been a question as to what extent a "fixed mag" needs to be truly "fixed". I have heard recently, that the NYSP has said that as long as the "fixed mag" requires a tool to remove, it is considered compliant. IMO, that includes Jerry's Kit, AllStarTactical SafeMod mag button, DD's Ranch AR15 Magazine Lock and similar products. IMO, this does not include the AR Mag Lock that allows you to remove the mag when the action is opened. My $.02 for what its worth.
                      Again, we have innuendo and assumptions. ‘Fixed mag”? What constitutes this. Remember the modification to the rifle does not have to be permanent. The law only uses the permantent word for magazines. So we run into a lot of gray areas that can be debated. When is a rifle a rifle?? Legally the lower is the serialed component but is a serialed lower a rifle? No it’s not because every lower “can accept a magazine that is detachable”? So a lower by itself isn’t a rifle, so at what point of disassembly is a rifle not a rifle? One can argue pulling the pins and separating the upper and lower is no longer a rifle because it cannot fire anymore. Remove the BCG as a step further or disassemble the BCG entirely? Is it now not a rifle? These are the pitfalls of a poorly written vague law that interpretation is left up to the arresting officer.
                      ‘But we all agree that a strip;ed lower isn’t a rifle so again, where does it not become a rifle. Just because this modular system can be disassembled and reassembled in a matter of minutes should have no bearing at all. But nobody wants to be the test case.

Comment

Working...
                      X