Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16" AR barrel w/ A2 gas block

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    16" AR barrel w/ A2 gas block

    So I'm trying to get this AR build wrapped up, but I've run into a hiccup.
    I have my handguard and gas tube set up for a carbine length barrel but I want to use an A2 gas block that my 16" barrel is not drilled and tapped for.
    Does anyone know someone that can drill and tap a barrel for this?
    Alternatively, is there a budget-friendly 16" barrel floating around that comes pre drilled for this style gas block?

    Yes, it's a weird looking gun. Pics to come.
    A sunny day
    A shotgun and a Chevrolet
    Wouldn't you like that?

    #2
    It's not tapped, it's reamed/fitted with 2/0 taper pins. Alignment is critical. It can be done, but probably best left to pros. Maybe someone here can do it, but I'm not that brave, myself.


    ADCO:
    https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmithing/fsb-install/

    Compass Lake has an excellent rep, but not as well known as ADCO. Might be a bit cheaper:
    http://www.compasslake.com/index.php...age=contact_us

    ADCO cost almost as much to install your sight as buying a fitted assembly:
    http://www.jsesurplus.com/Del-Ton16M...yVanadium.aspx

    Or, just sell what you got, and buy a PSA upper:
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...bcg-or-ch.html

    Save what you have for your next build (you just KNOW there will be a next build) and use a clamp on style gas block. Personally not a fan of the set screw type, but many have run them with no problem. So far so good on the wife's AR, but it's only been 2-300 rounds.

    Or, go with a set-screw type of A2 FSB (use the Scamazon link on our home page):
    https://www.amazon.com/DEZ-AR-15-Fro.../dp/B074L84S42
    Steve

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
      It's not tapped, it's reamed/fitted with 2/0 taper pins. Alignment is critical. It can be done, but probably best left to pros. Maybe someone here can do it, but I'm not that brave, myself.


      ADCO:
      https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmithing/fsb-install/

      Compass Lake has an excellent rep, but not as well known as ADCO. Might be a bit cheaper:
      http://www.compasslake.com/index.php...age=contact_us

      ADCO cost almost as much to install your sight as buying a fitted assembly:
      http://www.jsesurplus.com/Del-Ton16M...yVanadium.aspx

      Or, just sell what you got, and buy a PSA upper:
      http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...bcg-or-ch.html

      Save what you have for your next build (you just KNOW there will be a next build) and use a clamp on style gas block. Personally not a fan of the set screw type, but many have run them with no problem. So far so good on the wife's AR, but it's only been 2-300 rounds.

      Or, go with a set-screw type of A2 FSB (use the Scamazon link on our home page):
      https://www.amazon.com/DEZ-AR-15-Fro.../dp/B074L84S42
      Thank you sir for the wealth of info, much obliged.
      A sunny day
      A shotgun and a Chevrolet
      Wouldn't you like that?

      Comment


        #4
        Dark Storm ?
        NRA Instructor / RSO & NRA Life Member / S.A.F.E. Armorer / 03-FFL / Moist Nugget gun nut / Ammosexual / And a right wing Republican Jew with guns

        Comment


          #5
          A2 gas block? Is that the triangular tall front sight? If so...I have a 16 inch barrel with that sight pinned on from when I swapped to a crowned barrel so as to not have a muzzle device on my uber deadly assault rifle thingy that goes up. That and putting on a Thordson stock. It's just sitting there on top of my safe, collecting dust. Not many rounds through it either.
          "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
          Tucker Max

          Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
          Finicky Fat Guy

          Comment


            #6
            There are clamp on A2 sight blocks.
            Are you building a dissipitator look alike?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post
              A2 gas block? Is that the triangular tall front sight? If so...I have a 16 inch barrel with that sight pinned on from when I swapped to a crowned barrel so as to not have a muzzle device on my uber deadly assault rifle thingy that goes up. That and putting on a Thordson stock. It's just sitting there on top of my safe, collecting dust. Not many rounds through it either.
              Trade you for a 16" PSA threaded barrel?
              A sunny day
              A shotgun and a Chevrolet
              Wouldn't you like that?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by cityrepo61 View Post
                There are clamp on A2 sight blocks.
                Are you building a dissipitator look alike?
                Not really basing it off anything, just like the look and feel of the older style furniture.
                Fixed mag ar with a 9 round stanag using the mean arms mag lock and loader.
                A2 stock + pistol grip, mid-length 'A2' style forearm. A2 gas block/front sight. M4 carry, A2 muzzle brake.
                044.jpg
                A sunny day
                A shotgun and a Chevrolet
                Wouldn't you like that?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Got it. Don't know why I thought what I did. Brain fart.
                  looks great!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by cityrepo61 View Post
                    Got it. Don't know why I thought what I did. Brain fart.
                    looks great!
                    Thanks! And I wouldn't call it a brainfart. it's very close to being a dissipator - I just wound up with a mid length gas tube and not a rifle length.
                    A sunny day
                    A shotgun and a Chevrolet
                    Wouldn't you like that?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by viper720 View Post

                      Trade you for a 16" PSA threaded barrel?
                      Sure though I'm not sure I have a use for a threaded barrel. How trading my barrel for a large oatmeal raisin cookie? That or undying fealty?
                      "The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns. He comes as everything you've ever wished for.”
                      Tucker Max

                      Infirmitate Invitat Violentiam
                      Finicky Fat Guy

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by viper720 View Post

                        Not really basing it off anything, just like the look and feel of the older style furniture.
                        Fixed mag ar with a 9 round stanag using the mean arms mag lock and loader.
                        A2 stock + pistol grip, mid-length 'A2' style forearm. A2 gas block/front sight. M4 carry, A2 muzzle brake.
                        044.jpg
                        I like the older look too, but that 16" barrel looks too short to me.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Finicky Fat Guy View Post

                          Sure though I'm not sure I have a use for a threaded barrel. How trading my barrel for a large oatmeal raisin cookie? That or undying fealty?
                          I would definitely go with the undying fealty, and I'm hungry.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca...eid=2768addb8e

                            just order another barrel. Cheaper and easier solution

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Gopedxr7 View Post
                              https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca...eid=2768addb8e

                              just order another barrel. Cheaper and easier solution
                              Holy crap that's a good price
                              A sunny day
                              A shotgun and a Chevrolet
                              Wouldn't you like that?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X