Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on buying a complete upper.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Need advice on buying a complete upper.

    Looking to add on to my featureless AR build. I've got an Anderson lower with a Giessele G2S trigger, spur grip and lower parts kit on the way.

    What are my options on a complete upper? I'm looking at BCM but I don't think they have anything that is UnSafe compliant. Am I wrong? I want decent quality. I don't want the most expensive thing, but I do want something nice.

    Any suggestions as far a length? Carbine? Sorry for the newbie questions.

    I'm new to AR's in general.

    #2
    If I were you, buy one, anyone today. I have a real bad feeling about the near future of AR builds.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    - Thomas Jefferson

    "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms."
    - James Madison

    Comment


      #3
      16" to 18"length Bbl will burn all the powder in a 5.56 round. Get chrome lined, 5.56 chambered bbl M4 style, flat top with a fixed front sight "F" type. MPI & shot peened bolt and carrier. I like BCM charging handles, the medium one. The Geisselle trigger is THE best trigger out therefor AR/M16 series, period! I'd wait on a rail use Magpul hand guards for a light but if your set on one I'd get one that uses Mlok. Maybe one of the site sponsors can help you out re: featureless unSAFE Act upper,

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Bobbytaz View Post
        If I were you, buy one, anyone today. I have a real bad feeling about the near future of AR builds.
        Tru Dat!

        Comment


          #5
          That is part of the reason for me expediting my build.

          Any specific uppers that anyone can recommend?

          Comment


            #6
            Buy anyone you want. Get a thread protector and get it pinned/welded. Thats what I did with my 300blk

            Comment


              #7
              But don't get ripped off at NYS's premier AR assembly shop, please!

              Comment


              • Craig23
                Craig23 commented
                Editing a comment
                Have no fear....I haven't and wouldn't step in that place after the shit they pulled.

              #8
              Where can learn about what I need to buy? I'm new to the AR platform and I'm looking online at various parts and I have no idea why one would be better than the other or why I should pick a certain manufacturer.

              Comment


                #9
                Originally posted by Craig23 View Post
                Where can learn about what I need to buy? I'm new to the AR platform and I'm looking online at various parts and I have no idea why one would be better than the other or why I should pick a certain manufacturer.
                Give us some options and budgets to work with. There are tons of manufacturers with various options and configurations.

                Comment


                  #10
                  I have an Anderson lower, Gisele G2s Trigger and Spur grip.

                  I'm pretty open beyond that. The budget would be around $750 for the complete upper. Does it make sense to spend that much on an upper? I see some for a lot cheaper.

                  Comment


                    #11
                    Originally posted by Craig23 View Post
                    I have an Anderson lower, Gisele G2s Trigger and Spur grip.

                    I'm pretty open beyond that. The budget would be around $750 for the complete upper. Does it make sense to spend that much on an upper? I see some for a lot cheaper.
                    Not a crazy price for one of the "premium" brands but you don't need a cool name for quality. Is there a certain kind of upper that you are looking for - piston or DI, lightweight barrel, fancy BCG etc.

                    either way you can have it sent directly to Adco firearms who will do the compliance work and have it sent back to you

                    Comment


                      #12
                      Originally posted by E View Post

                      Not a crazy price for one of the "premium" brands but you don't need a cool name for quality. Is there a certain kind of upper that you are looking for - piston or DI, lightweight barrel, fancy BCG etc.

                      either way you can have it sent directly to Adco firearms who will do the compliance work and have it sent back to you
                      This is where I am lost . What makes a BCG fancy? I think I read DI is easier to deal with than Piston??? It's going to be a range gun, but I would like it to be accurate and relatively light.

                      Comment


                        #13
                        Originally posted by Craig23 View Post

                        This is where I am lost . What makes a BCG fancy? I think I read DI is easier to deal with than Piston??? It's going to be a range gun, but I would like it to be accurate and relatively light.
                        Piston AR's are bullshit stick with DI.
                        There are many different wonder coatings applied to bolts and carries. Most of them are worthless but they look pretty or have a cool logo.

                        http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...up-auto-mp.htm

                        Comment


                          #14
                          Look to Anderson. Good quality stuff at a good price.

                          I actually have a brand new anderson 16in barrel f/s mid-length gas system.

                          Comment


                            #15
                            Be sure to match buffer tube to stock.. mil spec to mil spec or commercial to commercial.

                            Also - to remain NY compliant you will need a fixed stock and bull or non-threaded barrel (no flash suppressor or brake/break to be safe)
                            Last edited by MossbergMan; 06-14-2016, 05:15 AM.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X