My most recent AR-15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My most recent AR-15

I don’t post much. When I do it’s even more rare that I start a new thread. I figured If I’m going to start a new one then it should be an actual gun thread. Besides, NYS is going to confiscate all of them any time now so why not..

I have a fear of large zombie herds. While in zombie combat simulators (Call of Duty, etc.) I always opt for repeated longer distance headshots in an attempt to reduce the herds as quickly as possible while at a safe distance. I like putting together AR-15’s and I decided to set one up for for this exact scenario. I modeled this rifle after a 26” barrelled LAR 308 that I bought from an old forum member named GhostHunter (real nice guy, anyone know if he is still around?) years ago. I figured it could use a little brother.

The goal for the rifle can be summed up as repeated zombie brain shots with quick follow up and target transition from 500+ yards. I accomplished this goal through weight, muzzle device and gas system tuning. Naturally there had to be some compromise to be “legal” in NYS so I decided to fix the magazine in place. This can always be converted to normal in the event of a zombie outbreak. These are the key components:
    • Standard lower and parts kit assembled with a magpul PRS and a LaRue MBT trigger
    • Gibbs arms left hand side-charging, non-reciprocating upper receiver
    • AR stoner 1 in 8 stainless 24” heavy barrel (threaded by ADCO)
    • JP Enterprise “recoil eliminator” muzzle brake
    • JP Enterprise adjustable gas block
    • JP Enterprise 17” handguard
    • Standard bolt and carrier with one of those nice shiny coatings
    • Standard rifle buffer tube filled with lightweight material
    • Harris swivel bipod
    • Leupold single piece scope mount
    • Nikon M223 4-16X scope
    I’m a big fan of lapping the lower receiver to square it up to the barrel. Not only do I square up the receiver, I use the lapping tool to remove material as needed so that the barrel nut torques perfectly in alignment with a gas tube hole.

Between the weight of the barrel, absurd muzzle brake, lightweight buffer tube and adjustable gas block this rifle has zero recoil. You can pretty much shoot this thing without blinking or flinching. It’s like shooting a 22LR. The gas block adjustment is key. I can open it up fully and I have a little bit of recoil impulse, or I can crank it down until the rifle barely cycles and the muzzle brake will pretty much pull the rifle forward. A few clicks more gas above that bare minimum and you end up in a spot where the brake exactly counteracts the recoil. I couldn’t be happier.

I went with the AR stoner barrel because of excellent reviews and price. People seemed to think it was as accurate as the Shilen equivalent that cost 3 times as much. I’ve only shot it three times and I’ve only using plinking ammo so I shouldn't be too critical just yet, but the groups have not been impressive. I loaded up some 77 grain Sierra’s to try next and I’ll put it through a few more shoot/clean cycles before I pass judgement. I've made it a goal this year to take one of my bigger rifles out to a 1000+ yard range at some point. Hopefully this one will come with me and I can practice rapid target shifts on steel at various distances. That should be a lot of fun.

I have zero artistic ability so I apologize for the terrible photos. I'm hoping to be at Calverton on Sunday. If you recognize the rifle feel free to stop by and put a mag through it.

.308 and .223 together

Next time don't hold back so much on those muzzle brakes, go big! Haha, nice builds!

Comment

Nice job, they are fun to build!

Comment

What do you think of the MBT?
        I am not armed out of fear of who's in front of me.
        I am armed out of love of those behind me.

Anyone who says money doesn't matter to them is either a FOOL or a LIAR or BOTH!

Comment

Originally posted by LiDad View Post
          What do you think of the MBT?
          Not to hijack but it’s a nice two stage trigger, especially for the money.
          High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

You sir, are a mad scientist. Awesome build!
            A sunny day
            A shotgun and a Chevrolet
            Wouldn't you like that?

Comment

Really nice, looks great !

Comment

Great looking set up

Comment

Working...
                X