Converting AR upper to "bolt" action.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting AR upper to "bolt" action.

Stay tuned for the somewhat exciting process of converting an upper to bolt action!
    See the thrilling saga of removing the muzzle brake, tapping and sealing the gas port!
    Watch me struggle trying to figure out how to get around using the idiotic charging handle without slicing and dicing the upper (or my hands)!

But seriously, I have a Bushmaster 20 inch HBAR 1:9 upper that I picked up cheap from LI Ammo.
    The brake looks like it was pinned but not welded (looks like a roll pin epoxied into the hole), and it's a nice brake so I want to save it.
    The next thing to go will be the gas block. I need the space it occupies. The tricky part is closing the gas port.
    It looks like I'll be drilling and tapping the hole with a 6-32 tap and screwing in a set screw....unless someone has a better idea.
    Last edited by Mad Russian; 04-12-2016, 08:19 AM.
    SHADAP VARMINT!

...or you could trade it for a Saiga and stop trying to make a prized American pig out of swine, Comrade.

Seriously, if you're going that route and like the brake, why tamper with it?

"Except the Lord build they labor in vain that build it." I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without his concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better than the Builders of Babel: We shall be divided by our little partial local interests; our projects will be confounded, and we ourselves shall God governs in the affairs of men. I have lived, Sir, a long time..."
    Ben Franklin, arguably our least faith driven founding father

Comment

I'll trade you an upper of your choice from my collection. Please do not butcher a bushmaster upper!

Comment

Ahhhh! But you have to know I'm trying not to butcher it to the point where it cannot be restored fairly easily.
        This going to be a bench upper (I'll screw together a lower for it eventually).
        I'm thinking maybe instead of drilling and tapping I'll stick a tapper pin into the hole and red Locktite with a crimp clamp to hold it in place.
        Just noodling ideas...
        SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Speaking of muzzle brakes, in this Godforsaken state muzzle brakes on bolt action rifles don't need to be pinned, correct.
          SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

So your making a bolt action AR out of a semi AR ? Is that right ?

Comment

Originally posted by iceburg View Post
              So your making a bolt action AR out of a semi AR ? Is that right ?
              Yep
              SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Would love to see some pics,,sounds like a very cool project..

Comment

Saw this a while ago.

http://www.devildogconcepts.com/hard-charger.html

Mounts on the rail and effectively makes your AR upper side charging. You'd still have to do all the work to stop the gas but might make it easier when your on the bench.

Comment

What if the bolt hold open worked on every shot? Then, to fire again just release the bolt. Probably been tried, but I don't remember seeing this 'fix.'

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Russian View Post
                      Ahhhh! But you have to know I'm trying not to butcher it to the point where it cannot be restored fairly easily.
                      This going to be a bench upper (I'll screw together a lower for it eventually).
                      I'm thinking maybe instead of drilling and tapping I'll stick a tapper pin into the hole and red Locktite with a crimp clamp to hold it in place.
                      Just noodling ideas...
                      I don't know if that will hold. Will you have enough room under the hand guard to off set a lo pro gas block to cover the hole?
                      III%

Comment

Originally posted by Li02liberty View Post
                        I don't know if that will hold. Will you have enough room under the hand guard to off set a lo pro gas block to cover the hole?
                        Possibly. Bits and pieces of the project are trickling in. I ordered a 5mm drill rod to act as the action rod the company sent me a 3 foot piano hinge.
                        SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Action rod for what? The carrier will move without the gas tube in there
                          III%

Comment

Originally posted by Li02liberty View Post
                            Action rod for what? The carrier will move without the gas tube in there
                            I'm chopping up the handguard to convert to pump action. The drill rod will act as the action rod on the gas key.
                            SHADAP VARMINT!

Comment

Very neat idea. Can't wait to see to way it comes out.
                              III%

Comment

Working...
                              X