Hammer Forged Barrel Opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hammer Forged Barrel Opinions

I am thinking about a BCM lightweight upper and while I would rather buy once and cry once, I do still like to save money.

With that in mind
    1)are the BCM BFH barrels that much better than the standard barrels. ($80 difference)
    2) should I forget about BCM and buy a Ballistic Advantage or other “less costly barrel”?

Edit: and yes I read the sticky article on barrel selection. Just want some first hand opinions.

What kind of shooting do you plan on doing with it? Targets at MF? 200 yards off a bench? Carbine class/run-and-gun type shooting?
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
      What kind of shooting do you plan on doing with it? Targets at MF? 200 yards off a bench? Carbine class/run-and-gun type shooting?
      All of the above, trying to find the one that will work (as best as possible) for everything.

Comment

Not sure where it stands in this, but I have a 16" Anderson heavy profile barrel that will hold 1 moa at 200 yards if I do my part in prone with a sling. 1:8 twist, 69 grain sierra match kings on top of 24.5 grains of reloader 15. I've never had it past 200 yards.

I guess what i'm saying is you may not need to go whole hog to get the results you are looking for.
        High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

I’ve only built my ARs with BCM barrels, so you know what my answer would be lol. Shoots awesome groups From 50 to 200 yards. Build quality and craftsmanship is top notch. Go BFH if your going to be doing a little bit of everything, go basic cheaper if your just going to be plinking at indoor ranges

Comment

I haven't noticed a difference in accuracy between my BCM, Daniel Defense and Ballistic Advantage barrels; but then again, I have never pushed them past 100

Comment

I've taken a ton of shooting classes and given more than a few. It seems to me that the students with the most expensive firearms are either in the middle or the lower half of the class as far as talent/groups/speed/scores.

Also, most problem guns are the ones with the most non-stock items on/in it.

Like others have said, I'm not too sure if it matters much what barrel you have, as long as it's a decent company.

No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

- U.S. Marines

Comment

I happen to like faxon barrels for my ARs. BCM does not make their own barrels so you are buying a decent quakity blank with a bcm logo.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan 0351 View Post
                  I've taken a ton of shooting classes and given more than a few. It seems to me that the students with the most expensive firearms are either in the middle or the lower half of the class as far as talent/groups/speed/scores.

Also, most problem guns are the ones with the most non-stock items on/in it.

Like others have said, I'm not too sure if it matters much what barrel you have, as long as it's a decent company.
                  This.

Comment

Working...
                  X