AR10 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR10 build

I have an Aero Precision M5 upper and lower. I’m thinking since I’m stuck home for a while I should start a build.
    I need some input from you folks. Should I build a .308, 7mm-08, or a 6.8 creedmore? What are the benefits of each (in your opinion). It’s gonna be a hunting rifle.
    I won’t be able to shoot it for almost a year so I have time for the build.
    Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by Karpteach; 01-05-2020, 01:36 PM.

I have no idea, but I was thinking the same thing after looking at this: https://www.primaryarms.com/aero-pre...on-freedom-fde

I figured the standard .308 is the way to go, but I'll have to monitor this thread.

Comment

Grendel is on the AR15 platform....
      Do you mean Creedmoore???

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun View Post
        Grendel is on the AR15 platform....
        Do you mean Creedmoore???
        Yes, the Creedmoore! Dang pain meds get the best of me. Lol

Comment

do you hand load and how far do you want to shoot ??? is this for local ranges or are you going to hunt with it ???
          me, i would be doing 308 since i have everything for it , if your starting out i would think the 6.5 in creedmore or new ruger round

Comment

Originally posted by M-14BULLETTS View Post
            do you hand load and how far do you want to shoot ??? is this for local ranges or are you going to hunt with it ???
            me, i would be doing 308 since i have everything for it , if your starting out i would think the 6.5 in creedmore or new ruger round
            It’s going to be a future hunting rig. I have a bolt and lever in .308. So making the AR in .308 makes sense. I do not reload as of now. Lol

Comment

One consideration is ammo cost. Lots of cheap 308/7.62 but not so much 6.5. If you are planning on shooting match ammo then the cost is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by E View Post
                One consideration is ammo cost. Lots of cheap 308/7.62 but not so much 6.5. If you are planning on shooting match ammo then the cost is the same.
                Are .308/7.62 interchangeable, or is it like .223/5.56?

Comment

308 especially since you don't reload . Remember all the components aren't compatible like a mil spec AR15

Comment

Me personally, I have a .308 and a 6.5 cm. I prefer the 6.5. Ammo isn’t that much more per round.

Comment

Be advised and as mentioned above, there is no TDP and/or "Mil Spec standard" for 7.62/.308 AR platforms. All of folks in the gun community (end users, consumers, manufacturers, Civy, LE and Mil peeps, etc) were hoping at one time that Colt, HK or Knights even was going to submit a 7.62 AR rifle platform for US Mil trials, win acceptance, a big contract signed, a bunch purchased in masse and a TDP would be created, carved in stone, and then released to other manufacturers so there was a single point of reference for the 7.62 AR. All would be good then...never happened. Colt, Armalite, DPMS, Bushmaster, LWRCI, Aero etc. etc. all have subtle differences overall and you will see it in especially so in parts compatibility. Just because a reputable manufacturer(Colt) makes you LPK doesn't mean its going to fit your stripped Armalite lower! If your going for a total build, I would get a matched pair( stripped upper and lower) from the same manufacturer along with some major components like barrel assembly, bolt/bolt carrier, etc etc. For example A BBL from Grey Ghost Precision might fit an Aero upper with no issues but not fit DPMS upper. This is a case where the 'net is your friend. The info you glean will save a lot of cash and aggravation! Do the research! One thing Ive noticed in 7.62 ARs is they break bolt catch/releases a lot! Opt for a threaded set screw as retention as opposed to messing with a roll pin and punch. Good luck and enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer21 View Post
                        Be advised and as mentioned above, there is no TDP and/or "Mil Spec standard" for 7.62/.308 AR platforms. All of folks in the gun community (end users, consumers, manufacturers, Civy, LE and Mil peeps, etc) were hoping at one time that Colt, HK or Knights even was going to submit a 7.62 AR rifle platform for US Mil trials, win acceptance, a big contract signed, a bunch purchased in masse and a TDP would be created, carved in stone, and then released to other manufacturers so there was a single point of reference for the 7.62 AR. All would be good then...never happened. Colt, Armalite, DPMS, Bushmaster, LWRCI, Aero etc. etc. all have subtle differences overall and you will see it in especially so in parts compatibility. Just because a reputable manufacturer(Colt) makes you LPK doesn't mean its going to fit your stripped Armalite lower! If your going for a total build, I would get a matched pair( stripped upper and lower) from the same manufacturer along with some major components like barrel assembly, bolt/bolt carrier, etc etc. For example A BBL from Grey Ghost Precision might fit an Aero upper with no issues but not fit DPMS upper. This is a case where the 'net is your friend. The info you glean will save a lot of cash and aggravation! Do the research! One thing Ive noticed in 7.62 ARs is they break bolt catch/releases a lot! Opt for a threaded set screw as retention as opposed to messing with a roll pin and punch. Good luck and enjoy!
                        Thank you. This is a wealth of information and should be stickied at the top of the semi rifle section. Great insight

Comment

I recently built a Aero precision upper and lower chambered in 243 Win with and x-caliber barrel. I can tell you it is a sweet shooter and I can shoot it all day long. Ammo is available if you don’t reload. My suggestion for any of them would be to
                          use an adjustable gas block and pay attention to the gas hole size in the barrel if you go with something other than 308 chambering. I needed to send my barrel back to get the gas hole enlarged in the barrel to match the BCG and the carbine length spring I was using. Dialed it in with the adjustable gas block and never looked back! Hundreds of rounds through it with great accuracy. Have only had it out to 300 yards so far but looking forward to going longer.

Have fun with your build!!!
                          NRA Member, NYSRPA Member
                          NY, NH, PA, Utah, Florida, Connecticut CCW

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Jambo thank you! The .243 was third on the list. I gotta look more into it.
                            UVBNAXEDSurfer21 Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                            X