Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My AR15 build journey begins. Big thanks to Bigrob on here.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    My AR15 build journey begins. Big thanks to Bigrob on here.

    This will be my first AR15 build. Wish me luck! Any advice appreciated.
    Still need to research/buy a lower parts kit and an upper receiver.

    Big thanks to Bigrob who's on here for the lower. Great guy.

    #2
    Palmetto State Armory and Midway USA are your friends.

    Just think of it as a puzzle. Join a build group. Here are the most important stats: If you assemble the parts 100% correctly, you have a 50% probability that the rifle won't function correctly. Most of the time it's a buffer tube/spring issue and it costs $40 to get the rifle running like a sewing machine.

    Here's my first build: $350.

    image_53775[1].jpg
    Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

    Comment


      #3
      Here's some advice. First decide if you're going Fixed Magazine or detached. If the former, then that makes your parts-buying a bit easier as you can have all of the regular "evil" features you want. More on that shortly. Second, my recommendation is to find a complete upper rather than build from scratch unless you just can't find one that you like. Several of the companies offering complete uppers (like Durkin Tactical) also have kits that include an upper with BCG and charging handle and a lower parts kit.

      Like this one as an example: https://www.durkintactical.com/produ...p-shooter-kit/.

      Buying a complete upper saves you some potential hassle as they are supposedly tested before being shipped to you.

      You will also need a recoil buffer tube assembly. This should be paired to the upper, ie: carbine length vs. rifle length.

      The stock will depend on whether you go fixed mag or detachable. If fixed, you can get any extendable stock you like (I like Magpul) and retain the pistol grip. If detached mag, then you need a Thorsden, or a spur or any other SAFE-compliant options. If you go fixed, I'd recommend DD'S Ranch Fixed mag kit with a 10-round Magpul PMAG and DD's Ranch extended rear take down pin.

      When you're ready to assemble, we can start another thread on assembly tips but one is pick up a 1/4" universal clevis pin; it will help you greatly when you go to insert the detent for the front take down pin.

      Comment


        #4
        Sadly, there is legislation in the assembly which passed the senate which will make this a felony., unless you are a licensed gunsmith.

        Comment


        • Otingocni
          Otingocni commented
          Editing a comment
          when did it pass? source?

        #5
        Originally posted by HyFiveGuns View Post
        Here's some advice. First decide if you're going Fixed Magazine or detached. If the former, then that makes your parts-buying a bit easier as you can have all of the regular "evil" features you want. More on that shortly. Second, my recommendation is to find a complete upper rather than build from scratch unless you just can't find one that you like. Several of the companies offering complete uppers (like Durkin Tactical) also have kits that include an upper with BCG and charging handle and a lower parts kit.

        Like this one as an example: https://www.durkintactical.com/produ...p-shooter-kit/.

        Buying a complete upper saves you some potential hassle as they are supposedly tested before being shipped to you.

        You will also need a recoil buffer tube assembly. This should be paired to the upper, ie: carbine length vs. rifle length.

        The stock will depend on whether you go fixed mag or detachable. If fixed, you can get any extendable stock you like (I like Magpul) and retain the pistol grip. If detached mag, then you need a Thorsden, or a spur or any other SAFE-compliant options. If you go fixed, I'd recommend DD'S Ranch Fixed mag kit with a 10-round Magpul PMAG and DD's Ranch extended rear take down pin.

        When you're ready to assemble, we can start another thread on assembly tips but one is pick up a 1/4" universal clevis pin; it will help you greatly when you go to insert the detent for the front take down pin.
        Definitely going with the fixed-mag option. This is very helpful and will spend week at work reading up on all this and researching. lol

        Comment


          #6
          Criminalizes the sale of ghost guns and requires gunsmiths to register and serialize firearms, rifles, shotguns, and unfinished frames or receivers they assemble, manufacture, fabricate, build, or if they fit together the component parts of a firearm, rifle, or shotgun.

          Comment


          • Otingocni
            Otingocni commented
            Editing a comment
            You're such a buzz kill. lol I better get building before this thing gets signed. FUAC.

          #7
          Some tips on building compliant:
          https://www.longislandgunclub.com/fo...320#post510320
          Steve

          Comment


            #8
            Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post
            Sadly, there is legislation in the assembly which passed the senate which will make this a felony., unless you are a licensed gunsmith.
            That legislation only applies to 80 percent receivers and items not currently serialized. It is not illegal to assemble an AR15 from a serialized stripped lower that requires a background check to purchase.

            Comment


              #9
              10 round Pmags:
              https://botach.com/magpul-mag559-blk...0rd-magazines/
              Steve

              Comment


                #10
                Originally posted by HyFiveGuns View Post

                That legislation only applies to 80 percent receivers and items not currently serialized. It is not illegal to assemble an AR15 from a serialized stripped lower that requires a background check to purchase.
                This is slipped in there.


                8. ANY PERSON OTHER THAN A GUNSMITH DULY LICENSED PURSUANT TO SECTION 400.00 OF THIS CHAPTER WHO ASSEMBLES, MANUFACTURES, FABRICATES, BUILDS OR FITS TOGETHER THE COMPONENT PARTS OF A FIREARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN, S. 7763--A 3 OTHER THAN FOR THE PURPOSES OF PERFORMING ROUTINE CLEANING OR MAINTE- NANCE ON A LAWFULLY POSSESSED FIREARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN FOR NON-COMMER- CIAL PURPOSES, IS GUILTY OF A CLASS C FELONY.

                Comment


                  #11
                  Originally posted by Genghis Khan View Post

                  This is slipped in there.


                  8. ANY PERSON OTHER THAN A GUNSMITH DULY LICENSED PURSUANT TO SECTION 400.00 OF THIS CHAPTER WHO ASSEMBLES, MANUFACTURES, FABRICATES, BUILDS OR FITS TOGETHER THE COMPONENT PARTS OF A FIREARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN, S. 7763--A 3 OTHER THAN FOR THE PURPOSES OF PERFORMING ROUTINE CLEANING OR MAINTE- NANCE ON A LAWFULLY POSSESSED FIREARM, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN FOR NON-COMMER- CIAL PURPOSES, IS GUILTY OF A CLASS C FELONY.
                  Yes, but that is preceded by:


                  6. Section 265.10 of the penal law is amended by adding a new subdi- vision 8 to read as follows:

                  And without reading 265.10 of the penal law, I can't verify the context but I do agree with you, this is disturbing because it does overreach past "ghost guns" which this legislation is supposedly for.

                  Now the real question is... what can we do about it?

                  Comment


                    #12
                    Originally posted by HyFiveGuns View Post

                    Yes, but that is preceded by:


                    6. Section 265.10 of the penal law is amended by adding a new subdi- vision 8 to read as follows:

                    And without reading 265.10 of the penal law, I can't verify the context but I do agree with you, this is disturbing because it does overreach past "ghost guns" which this legislation is supposedly for.

                    Now the real question is... what can we do about it?
                    But having said all that, it hasn't been passed into law yet... so he can build away all he wants right now...

                    Comment


                      #13
                      Good luck with your build man, text if you got any questions.

                      Comment


                        #14
                        Originally posted by vmtcmt View Post
                        Good looking out.

                        Another option I was looking at was CompMag. Figured the side load would be helpful if I'm not using a meanloader. Pros / cons?

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X