6.5 Gendel Build Finally Done - Parts List, Pics, and groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Gendel Build Finally Done - Parts List, Pics, and groups

So I bought a bunch of parts to build a 6.5 Grendel back in 2019, but only recently got around to building the rifle.

This was my first unsupervised complete build from parts including the upper. It was actually quite easy.....though I did put the barrel and gas system onto the wrong upper the first time (more on that later) and had to take it all apart. I did it as a fixed mag as I figured it would be used mostly as a hunting rifle.

Parts were as follows:

Barrel: AR Precision 18" mid weight barrel, mid length gas system. Note he doesn't make these anymore. It was $184, which I figured was a good price.
    Brake: Not sure the name brand....got it from AR Precision. Called a "shorty" brake it looks good and is the same diameter as the barrel. Very clean, sporter looking deal.
    Upper Receiver: Aero Slick Side Upper
    Lower Receiver: Spikes Tactical
    Rail: Aero S-One M Lock (note this and the upper is why I had to take the upper apart....)
    Gas Block: Odin Works Low Profile Adjustable (Another note....these come from the factory as CLOSED. This is another reason I had to take the rail off again....install and then open it like three turns?)
    Trigger: Rise Armament Single stage 3.5 lb trigger. Not my first choice and it's getting swapped out for a LaRue MBT
    Stock: Magpul Carbine ACS (I picked this because it was the longest carbine stock I could find)
    Buffer: Kaw Valley 4.3 oz Tungsten Buffer (H2 Weight) - Rifle has very little recoil
    Spring: Normal carbine length sprin
    Scope: Leupold VX-R 4-12 x 40 mm
    Scope Mount: Larue SPRM4 Quick Detach
    Grip: Larue APEG Grip - note these are only $10 and I really like them. This one is FDE so you can see the difference in color to the Copper cerakote
    Rail Grips - Some Bravo Company things

Total weight of build (unloaded ) - 8 lbs 14 oz per Volko shipping scale

I had the rail and stock cerakoted in a "copper" color by Bruce at Hunter Essentials. I then learned that the Aero S-One rail wouldn't fit onto the BCA side charging upper I was originally going to use for this build. A little annoying, but moved on. What was more annoying was when I assembled the upper and gas system and went to put the rail on....and realized I had grabbed the BCA upper instead of the Aero. More practice, right?

So far the rifle has about 80 rounds through it give or take. I need more time with it and need to get it past 200 yards, but these were some of today's groups. This was shot with Hornaday American Gunner 123 gr HPBT. Hornaday says it's about 2590 FPS, but I don't have a chrono, I didn't ask Smallcigar to borrow his, and I'd imagine with my 18" barrel it's not as quick.

These groups were shot using a USGI sling in prone. Full Disclosure I had on a shooting jacket and glove too. All in all I'm getting more comfortable with the rifle and it should see use in the field this season, either from me or Rone. Next step will be to work up some loads, as I'm down to about 30 rounds of hunting ammo for it.

Glad I did a 6.5 grendel build over a 300 blackout build. This is better for hunting dad's farm, and it should give a good hit. Clearly a round like 6.5 Creedmoor would shoot flatter....but I had a lower laying around I wanted to build up.

All in all, first upper build, first 6.5 Grendel, factory ammo.....I'm pretty happy with these sub MOA groups from today. Happy enough I paid $8 for the app to measure and make pictures.

-Vick
    IMG_6499.JPG IMG_6500.JPG Ballistic-X-Export-2020-10-16 16 19 51.370708.PNG Ballistic-X-Export-2020-10-16 16 13 06.464040.PNG Ballistic-X-Export-2020-10-16 16 05 24.852201.JPG
    High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Nice rifle!

Comment

Originally posted by HabsFan View Post
      Nice rifle!
      Thanks. Didn’t really cut many corners on this one. That being said there are weight savings that could be found in the stock, scope mount, and scope. Dad wants a lighter hunting rifle (his current rig weighs in at around 13 lbs....) and if he is comfortable with this platform I’d build another.
      High quality building supplies since 1948! Friendly FFL transfers of long guns, receivers, and ammunition. Feel free to call us at 516 741 4466

Comment

It really is a nice looking rifle and the ambidextrous grip is a nice addition. The groups are looking great!

Comment

Nice Rifle. Any reason you are swapping out the RA trigger?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGoodbar View Post
            Nice Rifle. Any reason you are swapping out the RA trigger?
            I really prefer a 2 stage. This trigger was supposed to go into a friends rifle.....but for some reason we couldn’t get the holes lined up. I put my spare mbt into his gun and then used the rise on my rifle.

it’s fine.....but I have a lot of muscle memory built up with two stage triggers

-vick

Comment

• MrGoodbar
              MrGoodbar commented
              Editing a comment
              Well if you decide to sell it let me know. I have the 434 in my Grendel.

The thought of a 6.5 Gendel for hunting never crossed my mind. You thinking big game of small game? I’m thinking coyotes and pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by FastPhil View Post
              The thought of a 6.5 Gendel for hunting never crossed my mind. You thinking big game of small game? I’m thinking coyotes and pigs.
              Maybe pig in the future, and deer. Everything I’m reading says it’s solid on deer

Comment

Originally posted by Volkosupply View Post

Thanks. Didn’t really cut many corners on this one. ...
                Why cut corners? It's YOUR rifle. One of the best parts of doing a build is getting exactly what you want. Not what some shop has on the wall.

Beautiful. Good luck.
                To be human is to be armed.

Comment

Nice build.
                  Giza Development: Building and Renovating Pyramids of Distinction Since 2435 BC 631-427-1691 (Beware the Sea People)

Comment

The other thing I should have done was buy a bunch of ammo back in 2019, but I didn’t want to be “that guy” with ammo for a gun that was still in pieces.

yeah that was dumb.

Comment

• bigbore44
                      bigbore44 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Live & learn, nothing wrong with that.

Originally posted by Volkosupply View Post
                    The other thing I should have done was buy a bunch of ammo back in 2019, but I didn’t want to be “that guy” with ammo for a gun that was still in pieces.

yeah that was dumb.
                    https://www.outdoorlimited.com/rifle...By=8&mode=list
                    panem et circenses

Comment

Nice build and good shooting!

Comment

That is high. Just got some grendel from Target sports @49¢ per on Thursday.
                        Last edited by MrGoodbar; 10-17-2020, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGoodbar View Post

That is high. Just got some grendel from Target sports @49¢ per on Thursday.
                          Steel case or brass?

Comment

Working...
                          X