SBR in NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SBR in NY

Was in penn station and saw one of the DHS folk with an AR that had a 12" (guess) barrel

I thought SBR was no go even for LEO in New Yorkistan.

As an aside the DHS guys and gals do look pretty high speed low drag tactical operator in their outfits.

Don't know the details of what's GTG for LEO in NY, but my guess is DHS being federal would fall outside those restrictions. Just a guess.

Comment

I also thought sbr was a no go for leo's in NY. Maybe because they're Federal they get a pass?

Comment

I am pretty sure service weapons don't fall into NY state law. I am assuming that this was not their personal weapon.
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Axeman View Post
          Don't know the details of what's GTG for LEO in NY, but my guess is DHS being federal would fall outside those restrictions. Just a guess.
          With that - if you are a federal officer (FBI, postal, parks, court etc.) could you then legally own an SBR? Does it need to be department owned?

Could that unsuspecting DHS agent be arrested by the NYPD or NYSP?

Comment

Originally posted by E View Post

With that - if you are a federal officer (FBI, postal, parks, court etc.) could you then legally own an SBR? Does it need to be department owned?

Could that unsuspecting DHS agent be arrested by the NYPD or NYSP?
            Originally posted by TTSkipper
            I am pretty sure service weapons don't fall into NY state law. I am assuming that this was not their personal weapon.
            What he said. Probably can't own it personally.

Comment

SBRs are fine for law enforcement in NY. Although they are considered "firearms" police officers are exempt from the restrictions of Article 265 relating to illegal weapons. (For those not hip, "firearms" in NY law means only illegal firearms, such as machineguns, SBRs and unlicensed pistols and revolvers).
              Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

Issued/service weapons are fine...

Comment

Just to add to my post above, doesn't matter whether department issued or personal. Police officers can have SBRs (and suppressors, and machineguns) as long as they have active PO status (not retired). That's not to say their department policy will allow it, but it is legal. By one estimate there are about 1,000 transferable machineguns that are not department or SOT owned in New York State although that is an inexact number.
                  Know your rights/Refuse peacefully to consent to a search /Ask if you are free to go or are being detained/Even if you are not doing anything wrong the 4th Amendment protects you against unreasonable searches/Never say anything to law enforcement even if you think it will help you/If questioned you should clearly and unequivocally request that you would like to have an attorney present and defer any questions until then/Never go to prison because you are afraid to go to jail.

Comment

Laws are only for the little people.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking about how to get a Fed Cop job just so I could get an SBR. Oh well.

Comment

Some departments policy's won't allow you to have such items. Other departments are more friendly about it and allows it.

Comment

You guys do know that this and other websites are a plant by state and fed law enforcement to track you gun nuts right ?
                          There are two types of people in this world. People that think the Goverment is looking out for their best interest and people that just think !

Comment

Not to be obtuse but why are SBRs regulated in the first place? I mean, sarcasm and snide remarks aside, does anyone know even the misguided logic behind it? I'm at a loss.
                            To be human is to be armed.

Comment

Because they are easily consealed and unlike the vast other states where grown up can own hand guns we can not (without signing over your first born ).
                              There are two types of people in this world. People that think the Goverment is looking out for their best interest and people that just think !

Comment

Working...
                              X